Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a 1+1 seat so I can take my girlfriend with on an upcoming saddlebag trip and I was wondering how it affects the handling, having the extra weight on the back of a rev.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i noticed a little ski lift. but i didnt adjust the suspension for the extra weight. great seat,works well. some times i have to reach back just to see if shes still back there.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
make spring adjustment on rear and tell them to hold on because it doesn't slow you down much except for the thought they might fall off

·
Registered
173 Posts
DRZAP said:
make spring adjustment on rear and tell them to hold on because it doesn't slow you down much except for the thought they might fall off
[snapback]292209[/snapback]​
My experience exactly. Adjust the suspension and tell her to hang on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ride a gsx 1+1 with my 10 yr old daughter on back, and the sled bottoms out every bump. i think the gsx is too soft for 2 riders.......................

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
You have to upgrade your rear torsion springs if you didn't buy it with a 1+1 seat orignally or you will bottom out.

Rich

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
japgen said:
I ride a gsx 1+1 with my 10 yr old daughter on back, and the sled bottoms out every bump. i think the gsx is too soft for 2 riders.......................
[snapback]292327[/snapback]​
You must adjust / couple the rear torsion springs by rotating the rear cam, then it will rarely bottom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the 1+1 and it rides great. I weight 240 lbs (6'4") and no problem with the suspension or tracking or steering ... but I did have a big problem with the fuel line. It spent more time in the shop than on the snow trails. I finally got it back this weekend and so far no problems.. I think Skidoo has assembly problem to fix and I am sure tech bulletin will soon follow. Other than that all is well, oh I went through 10 sets of plugs before the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It depends on the wieght of the passenger, my GSX500SS with 1+1 on it only bottoms out with someone over 160lbs on it.

Any less than that I had to keep reaching back to make sure they were still on, just like they said.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just rode a 500SS GSX 1+1 this weekend. We were in a hurry and just threw on the 1+1 seat without adjustments. Put a kid on and no problem. Put an adult on in powdery snow and the steering gets squirelly. Think it's a combo with rear weight and loose snow. Anyhow it's a handful to keep straight.
I'm sure if you'd do the suspension fixes and be on packed snow you'd see some improvement. Just be ready to make the changes cause it's does make a big difference. My passenger complained about getting fatigued from holding on. The 1+1 is a good idea for limited use. But if you're doing serious miles get your girlfriend a sled of her own. It's not really fun to ride double unless you're just puttzing around.

·
Registered
140 Posts
GSX800HO said:
You have to upgrade your rear torsion springs if you didn't buy it with a 1+1 seat orignally or you will bottom out.

Rich
[snapback]292476[/snapback]​
What is the specific upgrade? Do I just ask my dealer for a stiffer spring set? Can I do this upgrade myself?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Trail Ryder said:
japgen said:
[snapback]292327[/snapback]​
You must adjust / couple the rear torsion springs by rotating the rear cam, then it will rarely bottom.
[snapback]292493[/snapback]​
I've tried that, no help. I think the stiffer springs are what I need, unless the center spring would make a difference. I've got the coupling blocks set fat part back, as the manual says, rear springs set all the way to 4.......

·
Registered
67 Posts

I have a 05 GSX with the 1+1 seat. The cover for the clutch shows the springs are good up to 300 lbs. With my and the wife on board we are at 330. the sled bottoms out with both of us. The pre-load is at 4 the center shock at 5.
I got a option sheet from my dealer that shows 2 option Torsion springs. The first one is good for 220 to 350 and the second is good for 270 to 400 pounds.
I think that I will get the first opion set of torsion springs. They were about 50.00 a set.
My wife bitches about the same thing holding on with her arms down. She can't go very long with out resting.
All aside I love the sled and it's my first sled I've ever owned.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Springs and SHOCKS hould be concidered just for comparison-- gsx 800 has the high pressure gas shocks in the back and the trail has oil shocks so a comparison from one machine such as the trail cannot be accurate.
I have the 05 adrenalin with 1+1 and after adjusting springs to my liking we can ride double very comfortably and in control. It has heavier springs and HPG shocks. Wife is 115 lbs I am 245=360

·
Registered
541 Posts
japgen said:
GSX800HO said:

Rich
[snapback]292476[/snapback]​
What is the specific upgrade? Do I just ask my dealer for a stiffer spring set? Can I do this upgrade myself?
[snapback]292626[/snapback]​
here's my full experience: took my wife on a 3 day saddle bag trip to northern ontario last winter,...new liskeard to timmins and back. i have the factory 1+1 option with the 1+1 springs installed from the factory. if your's is not a 1+1 your springs will be even lighter. with both of us on the sled @ about 200lbs each the sled will bottom on medium to bigger moguls. smooth trails and stutter bumps are ok. i changed the rear skid frame springs...all three including the coil over the centre shock. the coil was WAAAY too stiff even with 2 people on. maybe ok if both prople were 300 lbs each but with only one person on it was absolutely way too stiff. the dealer recomended that i chang the front coil with the rear torsion springs. we all realized this was a terrible move. so i removed the centre coil spring from the shock and left the reartorsions in and it's just perfect now. with the 1+1 springs in i had the cam set on the 2nd setting for just me driving. with the new torsion springs in i set the cams on the softest setting and my ride-in height is about 2 inches exactly where you need it. rides nice and soft with 1 person(the driver) and with 2 -up there is lots of room for bumping the rear cams up to carry the weight af a 250-300lb rider which will compenste for saddle bags and gear now too. the dealer took the coil spring back in exchange for a jug of synthetic oil! doo not let your dealer tell you that you need the front shock coil spring!! all you need is the torsion springs and here are the no.'s...left hand-503-189-675 and the right hand-503-189-674...just for the info the coil spring no. is 503-190-283....this spring is so stiff that with me at 195lbs. when i jump on the sled i can hardluy get the suspension to even move ....absolute buckboard ride. if you are over say 240lbs ,then i would recomend a heavier coil spring. if you are under the 200 mark then you don't need it because there is enough adjustment left in the front coil.BUT!! if you don't have the 1+1 springs in already...you may want to beef that coil up to the 1+1 coil over the centre shock or even ONE size heavier depending on you and your girlfriends weight. DO NOT buy the coil i gave you the no. for here though...it is waaaaay too stiff. these torsion springs are listed in the race manual for the summit and all the mountain sleds...round wire springs with 7 coils around the rear swing arm axle verses 4 coils with the 1+1 set -up. BE AWARE OF THIS ISSUE AND I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE!!! if you ride with her with your present springs you will bottom out BUT what will be happening is at the very rear for about 12 to 16 inches the track WILL make contact with the rear heat exchanger. if you have ANY STUDS!! damage WILL OCCUR!! i can show you if you don't believe me!! do not use the 5/8 inch tunnel protectors they WILL NOT DO THE JOB!! you must use the 1 inch tunnel protectors. as far as handling goes..as long as you take a few MINUTES.. and adjust the transfer blocks and increase the rear torsion springs and centre shock spring preload BEFORE you head out with 2 people and saddle bags and gear... your sled will handle awesome!! much better than any 2-up set up in the conventional chassis. you won't even know a rider under 160lbs is on there, and the handles on the rear seat are actually a bonus because they have just enough flex that they don't pull at you shoulders and arms and cuase pain. one other thing i did was buy the handle bar muffs for $50. and my wife took a little stitching out so they would fit over the rear seat handles and sewed velcro in place wher the stitching was. definitely score bonus pints with the girlfriend for that one!! if you need any more info or Q 's answered e-mail me and i will return your answers...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It matters alot how much the two of you weigh together. I put one on the new GSX and my girlfreinds daughter on the back plus her doesnt necessitate bigger springs. She also cant feel her back there, and that would be a good thing, except shes 11, and thats not going to cut it right now. I will keep it for when she sprouts a bit more, but for now its more secure actually feeling them hanging on to you. Its perfect for a teen or adult, but you will have to try out settings, and stiffer springs if that doesnt work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts