Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all

I put a deposit today on a GSX 550F. I wanted the 380F but my boyfriend thought it would not be enough power if we went on longer trips and maybe needed to climb some hills or something. I don't like to go too fast, 55mph or so. I still think the 380 would do the trick but I thought I'd ask the experts, you guys! Also, I'm new to the sport and don't want something too over or underwhelming.

What do you guys suggest? 380F or 550F?

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
well if you are new to the sport the 380f would be a good little machine for putting around on, but i think it would get lame real fast. on the other hand if you got the 550f its nothing too crazy, able to putt around all day and still have enough umph to get up the hills.

So i would have to say the 550f because it wont kill you too easy and wont get boring to ride after a day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ViperER said:
550F...

you can always not use it all but when you need it it will be there!

the 380 is really just too small for almost all uses...

welcome to the REV you will love it!

[snapback]723511[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info. I feel better about my choice now. My boyfriend picked up a 2004 MXZ Renegade and loves the power. He's finding the REV chassis a little strange though. Handles a lot different than the Blizzard he drove 15 years ago.

·
Registered
211 Posts
MyBubbles said:
ViperER said:
550F...

you can always not use it all but when you need it it will be there!

the 380 is really just too small for almost all uses...

welcome to the REV you will love it!

[snapback]723511[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info. I feel better about my choice now. My boyfriend picked up a 2004 MXZ Renegade and loves the power. He's finding the REV chassis a little strange though. Handles a lot different than the Blizzard he drove 15 years ago.
[snapback]723517[/snapback]​
Bubbles, the machines are nothing like they were 15 years ago.....

Take the 550F, or look for a used 600 SDI for a better choice, you will LOVE the REV platform on either...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I've owned both sleds, only the MXZ versions. Both choices are fine for a beginner, although my girlfriend was a little overwhelmed by her 550f as a total first timer. We sold it and put her on the 380f and she was faster right off the get go. The 380 is no drag machine, but it does well on the trails. She has no problems keeping up. I weigh 250 and 60 per is no problem on the needle. Under ideal conditions, I've seen a little over 65. Either way, you won't be disappointed. They're both good trail sleds and either has enough power to haul you along at 55mph. I've even taken the 380 up pure vertical riverbanks, so it will climb just fine too.

·
The Wrecking Crew
1,110 Posts
I hit a stump with my sled tues. and had to rent a 06' GSX 380F. It got me up hills just fine and felt very light and nimble. The ride was good also. It didn't have near the spunk as my daughters 01' MXZ 380F. I don't know why my daughters makes power so much faster but it does. If it is your first sled you should be fine with it though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skibum said:
I hit a stump with my sled tues. and had to rent a 06' GSX 380F. It got me up hills just fine and felt very light and nimble. The ride was good also. It didn't have near the spunk as my daughters 01' MXZ 380F. I don't know why my daughters makes power so much faster but it does. If it is your first sled you should be fine with it though.
[snapback]723574[/snapback]​
Thanks. Does anyone know if these two models come with handwarmers?

·
Registered
343 Posts
You'll be happy with either one, but you'll be happier longer with the 550F. The 550 is a great motor and you can grow into it.

On a snowmobile, power is always good -- power to get you up a steep hill, through deep snow, etc.

·
The Wrecking Crew
1,110 Posts
REV-88 said:
Hand and thumbwarmers are standard equipment.
[snapback]723616[/snapback]​
they have a good windsheild too. not very high but it's the bee's knees compared to an X windsheild, blocks wind very good.

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
My wife had the 380 S chassis and was satisfied with it. It would doo 60mph all day long. I sold it and got her a 380 REV. Runs just as strong but rides so much better in the bumps. She is never too far behind of the liquids. Either choice would be fine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
are both these sleds built on the same chassis? i'm thinking about picking up a 380, but if the 550 is in the same chassis but with more power i would obviously get the 550.

·
Registered
260 Posts
550f has 552 cc and 70 hp.

I had both an 05 380 and an 06 550. I ovbiously like the 550 better, but the 380 was a great sled. Top speed was between 60-65. I could run with any sled on a tighter trail.

0-40(ish) the difference between the 550 and 380 is barely noticeable. After that, the 380 slows. It has no problem crusing at 50-55 as you indicated.

380 does a little better on gas than the 550. The 380 get about 16 mpg when the 550 gets around 13-14.

If you enjoy more power, get the 550. If you're out there for the scenery, get the 380.

Either sled would be a fine choice.

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
73elan said:
are both these sleds built on the same chassis? i'm thinking about picking up a 380, but if the 550 is in the same chassis but with more power i would obviously get the 550.
[snapback]724799[/snapback]​
Both are REV chassis. They have different models. Trail, GSX, etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
dooit59180 said:
550f has 552 cc and 70 hp.

I had both an 05 380 and an 06 550. I ovbiously like the 550 better, but the 380 was a great sled. Top speed was between 60-65. I could run with any sled on a tighter trail.

0-40(ish) the difference between the 550 and 380 is barely noticeable. After that, the 380 slows. It has no problem crusing at 50-55 as you indicated.

380 does a little better on gas than the 550. The 380 get about 16 mpg when the 550 gets around 13-14.

If you enjoy more power, get the 550. If you're out there for the scenery, get the 380.

Either sled would be a fine choice.
[snapback]724846[/snapback]​
Where did you hear that the 550 has 70 horsepower? According to the Rotax website (www.rotax.com) it has only 57:

Engine Type 552

2-stroke
2-cylinder
42 kW/57 HP
553 ccm
Fan-cooled with axial fan
Reed valve-controlled

And the 380 has only 37 horsepower:

Engine Type 377

2-stroke
2-cylinder
27 kW/37 HP
368.3 ccm
Fan-cooled with axial fan
Piston-controlled

I've also heard that the 380 actually get WORSE gas mileage than the 550 because it is geared lower.

Given that there is very little price difference between the two, I would definitely go for the 550. It will work a little less hard, last longer, be a little quieter, and you always have a bit of extra power when you need it (deep snow, hill, passenger).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts