Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When greasing the rear skid, is it best to have the track sitting on the ground or have the rear of the sled on a stand with the track off the ground?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
That was a good question and I always did grease my skid/dirtbike linkage with the sled/bike in the air. When I think about it it does take the load off the part that needs the most grease/the friction point.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The tolerence of the rear suspension tubes, outer steel, inner aluminum are very close. The main point as stated above is to grease. You won't hurt the rear suspension over greasing.
Don't forget your front steering components. Rod ends, Bell cranks, steering shafts..

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
couple times a year.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,444 Posts
REV NH said:
How often to you guys grease?
[snapback]262810[/snapback]​
I grease the skid once a week as a rule (I give the drive shaft bearing a couple of shots while I'm at it). The steering zerks get it 3 or 4 times a season, and I use a needle fitting to refill the lower joint boot on the A-Arm as required. At 5000 miles my sled's steering and suspension are as tight as the day she came outta the crate

·
Registered
140 Posts
What particular grease are you guys using on the suspension? I've got the Ski Doo blend, whatever it is, am running low, and looking for a lower cost alternative. Can I use a good quality lithium grease for the suspension zerks? Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
paul yarek said:
i grease every 2-300 miles. i also grease inside my barn where it is warm because it is unbelievable how much water comes out.
[snapback]262861[/snapback]​
ditto!! this is really important if you want full travel of the grease throughout the axle tubes. moreso than whether it;s in the air or not. hey drifthopper!!! do you have enough miles on that to grease it yet???? your gonna be like saltarev and start wrenching that buggy just so's you have some constant contact with her are'nt ya???!!! ya!! you guessed it!! been there done that last year when mine was new too>.lol...
use a good quality synthetic grease for her and she'll treat you right all day long.

·
Metalhead
9,228 Posts
sleddude5 said:
It is easier to get at the zirks with the track off the ground, but it is best to just remember to grease it.

Jerry C.
[snapback]262061[/snapback]​
Here here....bravo. I don't have a sled lift so i just lay on a remnant carpet piece and grease the sled. I grease the suspension every weekend.

If you don't grease, the aluminum shafts eventually bind and work loose the fasteners, then you make the tunnel holes oblong and then yer in trouble. *ugh*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.