Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Grand Touring SE 670 ring gear install but no threads in primary clutc

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  formula rob 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 1995 Grand Touring SE with the 670 in it. The sled had a starter and battery already on it but no ring gear for some reason. I picked up a ring gear for it and a new battery. Made sure the starter still worked and after cleaning the terminals on it everything was working fine. So I took off the primary clutch tonight and set the new ring gear on the back of it and all the holes match up. Then when I was going to check what size bolts were needed to hold on the ring gear I noticed all of the holes in the primary clutch are not threaded. Is this a unique situation, or am I missing something here? Are there supposed to be pressure fitted studs in these holes? I can't figure out why the holes wouldn't be threaded. Someone please help me understand!

#5 ·
77 ft/lbs for the primary clutch.

drill and tap. best if you have a drill press and definitely make a pattern before doing the real thing.

given the expense if you mess up, if it were me I'd cut a piece of metal (aluminum is easy) that is stiff enough to act as the template to the exact dimension of the back of the clutch. Find the exact center and then draw a circle on it that is 1/2 the diameter of center to center between the bolt holes. Drill the bolt holes into your template and bolt the ring gear to it.

Then spin the template and ring gear and make sure it is exactly centered. I'd put a bolt through the middle and then put it in my drill. If it wobbles at all, start over.

#11 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.