Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in Grand Lake Colorado in February and I was wondering if anyone has ridden out there and if so what the trails and snow conditions are like. Also if there are any other good spots near there that would be fun to ride. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anybody been there at all? From what I've been told and read, it's supposed to be one of the best snowmobiling destinations in the US

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I did back in 1992 when i went to school in Co. I rented a Yamaha Venture from the dealer right in town, when i returned it, the guy behind the counter said 'you Mike?' Yup, 'no charge'. I talked shop with the owner for quite a while when i first came to town. They had drags on the lake there, and i don't think anyone had studs? Clueless. Anyway, i really don't remember them even having any marked trails. I probably put on 20 miles? I remember pulling a Wi snowmobile map out of my truck and showing him it and he freaked out on all the trails. The place was called Grand Lake Yamaha, but that was a long time ago, and i'm sure things changed, for the better. It ws a beautiful town though. Winter wonderland!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Try jumpin on snowest, prolly get a lot of info there. I browse that site in hopes of someday goin out there. If only I could talk my wife into movin lol.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Been there several times. Trip up there from the interstate can be a bugger through the pass but once you're there, it's worth it. They have a pretty good trail system with access to it from town if there is enough snow. Plenty of rental places in town for all brands and an Arctic Cat /Ski-Doo out near where the trails start to go up to the higher elevation. Many just drive out there to either rent or just unload and ride. They get a ton of snow, being at 10,000 feet or higher and the deep snow riding is quite good. Scenery can be spectacular. Many great places to eat and drink in Grand Lake, too

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys.... and yes I am aware of this google you speak of.... just looking for some first hand opinions from riders

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
and yes I am aware of this google you speak of....
you guys bust me up some times....not that this will be of any help (the road is closed in the winter), but the drive from Estes Park through Rock Mountain NP to Grand Lake is spectacular! Do it in the summer and you won't regret it.

Congrats on getting married and having a woman who's gonna follow you to AND thru the snow!

Tim

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've ridden there a few years, great place to stay, make sure to hit up the all you can eat breakfast at the Fat Cat, you'll thank me for that. You should catch the bulk of the snow in Feb, ride right out of town. The town is totally set up to handle riders, you essentially ride out of town up to rocky mountain national park and the world is yours, you can take it easy on the well marked trails trails (watch out for SPORES), or can go a little further and experience some nice loops. Make sure to head up to chicken hill to play around, there is also a nice playground further out on the trails at Gravel Mountain that hits 12,500' and has some decent climbing/playing areas. Be aware, its easy to start playing off the trail there as often areas are heavily ridden......but its wayyy too tempting to go a bit further or higher there, bring beacon shovels, probe, safety kit, food/water (lots of water) and get your training before you play, ride with a good group or stick to the trails. Skidoo has their test lab there... its serious lol. The last year we went a father/son were playing in an area we had ridden many times in years past and got caught in an avy, the son made it but the father didn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts