Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2020 MXZ X 850. My dealer was supposed to install my glove box extension and Garmin Montana GPS from my 2018 MXZ X 850 onto my 2020 MXZ X 850.

When I took delivery of my sled, I found all of the extra GPS wires sitting inside the glovebox.

I asked the guys who put my sled together why the wires are in the glovebox. Firstly I use the glovebox on every ride, and need all the room in it, secondly, it's not safe to leave wires just sitting in the glovebox especially since I use the glovebox.

I waited for an answer from the mechanic who assembled my sled, and was told that there is not sufficient room in the 2020 with the new gauge cluster for the GPS wires to be placed behind the glovebox assembly.

I was pretty upset, but did a work around to protect my GPS wires, and purchased and inserted a glove box liner for $75.

Last night I was chatting with another rider who has the same setup as me, and she said her GPS Montana wires were neatly tucked away behind the glovebox extension on her 2020 Renny XRS 850.

I'm not going to start taking my sled apart to re wire the GPS, but am pretty upset.

Has anyone else installed a GPS on the Gen 4 Glove extension box on a 2020 sled with the new gauge?
How did your installation go, and did you have room for your GPS wires behind the glove box extension?

I would appreciate all feedback so I'll know what to do with our other Gen 4 850s and future sleds.

Thanks very much,
Carole

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is plenty of room beneath the glove box and under the steering post to stash the wiring harness for the gps. You have to make a small hole to run them through - but they stash away easily - in fact in the instructions for the cradle install there are specific routing and stowing options that make it very neat. Sounds like they forgot a step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think your mechanic got lazy and didnt know how or didn't want to take apart the cowl assembly to get the wires in the proper spot.

Reactions: budko

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought too that he was didn't take the time to find a safe place to tuck the wires away beneath the glove box.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tie wrapped the extra wires up, and reinforced the wire with black tape. I taped the GPS wires inside the glove box, and put the glovebox liner on top. There's just a little squishing around the 12V but it should soften up and will be fine. We'll definitely tuck the wires under the glove box next year when my husband gets his next sled. It's very frustrating that you pay so much for these guys and they don't even consult you just put things together 1, 2, 3 and pass it off as if it's a finished product. I go over my sled in great detail b4 taking possession. This GPS wire surprised me and they were pressuring me to take my sled and go, so I didn't have time to research it. I'll know better for next time. For this sled my fix should work. I'm just annoyed!

Thanks for your feedback!

Carole

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
As OCD as I am, I'd have been PO'd and lit his arse right up. That is the exact reason why I do my own work. When they say "we can install the accessories for you for free because you bought a new sled" I kindly tell them thanks, but I'll do my own work. Then I know it's done the way it should be, all nice and neat. Unfortunately some folks don't have the tools, shop or capability to dor their own work, or maybe have no interest in doing it and they are at the mercy of someone else and there will ALWAYS be a jackwagon out there that couldn't care less because it isn't theirs and they are still getting paid.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer has always taken very good care of me, that said I always inspect my sled before I take it home. In hindsight I suppose I was too trusting to just accept what they told me about there not being room for the GPS wires due to the size of the new gauge. I was not expecting this information and had not looked into it before I took delivery of the sled. They literally rushed us out because they were closing. My husband had to go and get our trailer out of their lot and I was left to deal with two guys who just watched me work, didn't offer to shine a light into the glove box where i was working with tie wraps, black tape and scissors. One guy actually lifted my sled up with me on it while I was working on tie wrapping the GPS wires tighter and moved me on my sled to in front of their garage door. Now that I think about it, I will definitely talk to the owner who I am on great terms with and explain what happened.
I am very capable of doing my own installations, but unfortunately do not have a heated workshop where our sleds live. It's a challenge to do even the most minor work as we have to bring heaters into our unheated sled trailer to do work.

Hard way to learn a lesson. That said my fix should hold, but like you I want everything to be "perfect" on my sled, and if I could I would do the installs myself!

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is what I have done with mine is just have the wiring sit in the bottom of the glove box. If you looking at the install instructions for the zumo gps this is what ski doo has you do but the gps kit comes with a plate the covers it afterwards. I dont pull all the wiring through because of the inline fuse holder, you would either have to cut and splice back in the fuse holder or cut a big enough hole in the glove box to pass it through.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
This is what I have done with mine is just have the wiring sit in the bottom of the glove box. If you looking at the install instructions for the zumo gps this is what ski doo has you do but the gps kit comes with a plate the covers it afterwards. I dont pull all the wiring through because of the inline fuse holder, you would either have to cut and splice back in the fuse holder or cut a big enough hole in the glove box to pass it through.
the zumo comes with some extra wires, but you don't need that big of a hole if you take the rubber cap off the fuse holder just to pass through the hole then put the rubber cap back over the fuse

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's essentially what I did. I tie wrapped the extra GPS wires together and put them at the bottom of the glove box. I taped then down with black tape, then I installed the glove box liner which will keep the GPS wires snug, and away from catching on anything I put in my glove box.

What's upsetting to me is that my dealer was reusing my glovebox extension that I had on my 2018 MXZ X 850, so as Snirthead said, the hole was already there in the glovebox. It was the same mechanic who assembled this sled as my previous sleds, so I don't know why he didn'tt put the GPS wires under the glovebox extension like he did in my last Gen 4.

Anyway, it should all play well. I just like everything on my sled to be done properly as I would do it myself. I had very detailed installation notes for the mechanic so it's upsetting that they didn't tell me that they put the wires in the glove box when they built the sled. I only noticed them when I was going over the sled. Then when I asked why the wires were there the mechanic was not honest and said it's because there's no room behind the new gauge. Had I know the wires could be tucked in behind the gauge, I would not have taken possession of the sled last week, and would have insisted they redo the wiring.

The incident took me by surprise.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
All I can say is that if you've been happy with the service from a snowmobile dealer and you're beyond your first or second sled from said dealer you are indeed fortunate. It's always been my experience that reality never meets up with expectation. I've learned to only go as far with a dealer as I have to in order to get a sled purchased. Dealers don't care like you do about your sled and if you're the slight bit OCD forget about it, you're going to be disappointed. Don't get your hopes up, you don't get let down. I do everything myself because I KNOW a dealer tech won't do it to my expectations. Even going as far as looking for scrapes and dents when I get them back home because I've been there.

If you really want your sled as nice as you say and are capable of doing the work, I'd suggest investing in a heater for your garage, otherwise you're destined for more dissatisfaction. I've been buying sleds since 1987, it was that way then and it's that way now.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's essentially what I did. I tie wrapped the extra GPS wires together and put them at the bottom of the glove box. I taped then down with black tape, then I installed the glove box liner which will keep the GPS wires snug, and away from catching on anything I put in my glove box.

What's upsetting to me is that my dealer was reusing my glovebox extension that I had on my 2018 MXZ X 850, so as Snirthead said, the hole was already there in the glovebox. It was the same mechanic who assembled this sled as my previous sleds, so I don't know why he didn'tt put the GPS wires under the glovebox extension like he did in my last Gen 4.

Anyway, it should all play well. I just like everything on my sled to be done properly as I would do it myself. I had very detailed installation notes for the mechanic so it's upsetting that they didn't tell me that they put the wires in the glove box when they built the sled. I only noticed them when I was going over the sled. Then when I asked why the wires were there the mechanic was not honest and said it's because there's no room behind the new gauge. Had I know the wires could be tucked in behind the gauge, I would not have taken possession of the sled last week, and would have insisted they redo the wiring.

The incident took me by surprise.
I understand your frustration for sure.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All I can say is that if you've been happy with the service from a snowmobile dealer and you're beyond your first or second sled from said dealer you are indeed fortunate. It's always been my experience that reality never meets up with expectation. I've learned to only go as far with a dealer as I have to in order to get a sled purchased. Dealers don't care like you do about your sled and if you're the slight bit OCD forget about it, you're going to be disappointed. Don't get your hopes up, you don't get let down. I do everything myself because I KNOW a dealer tech won't do it to my expectations. Even going as far as looking for scrapes and dents when I get them back home because I've been there.
If you really want your sled as nice as you say and are capable of doing the work, I'd suggest investing in a heater for your garage, otherwise you're destined for more dissatisfaction. I've been buying sleds since 1987, it was that way then and it's that way now.
Zoggan,
I completely agree, and would have a sled garage if I could! Our cottage where we keep our sleds is not a large property and the municipality has a limit to the physical size of "permanent structures" we can have on our property. Our way around having a safe sled home is we have a 2 sled trailer for trailering and a four sled trailer that we use as our sled garage. We have made it very secure against theft, but have not found an inexpensive way to insulate and heat it. Every time we look into insulating the trailer so that we could do work on our sleds inside we decide it's just too costly. The trailer works great as a safe sled garage for our sleds, and allows us to ride in and out from home. We ride about 6-7000Km a season and trade our sleds every 2 years, so I try not to get too attached but really love each sled I own! My sled is my prized vehicle, even though I love my boat and car, nothing is like "my sled"!

I take a tremendous amount of pride in my sled, but have learned to just accept what may not be 100% perfect such as my GPS wiring on this sled. The important thing to me is that thanks to all of my DooTalk friends and advisors we will be able to have our dealer install his GPS properly in my husband's sled next year. I will certainly speak with the owner at my dealership in a friendly manner and explain what happened, and perhaps show this thread. I'm certain they will offer to re wire the GPS or compensate me on the cost of the glove box liner.

I would love to be able to work on my sled, but it's just not possible if I don't have a heated work area. Yes it frustrates me terribly. When I have to do the smallest bit of work on my sled I have to bring heaters and lighting into the trailer and keep the doors shut. It's pretty creepy working in that type of environment. If anyone can recommend how to insulate a 25 foot long X 8.5 foot wide snowmobile trailer that lives where winter get as cold as -40C for a reasonable price, we'd insulate it over the summer. I haven't found an easy and inexpensive way to do so yet. This is what leaves me at the mercy of my dealer!

This thread was about learning how the GPS should have been installed, and I did, and truly thank you all.

:) Carole

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hello budko, I must say I'm envious of YOUR situation. I have a nice heated shop to work in but I'm in Southern Mn! I'll trade you for all of that snow!!

I have done some work in enclosed trailers using sunflower heaters and adequate lighting and ventilation, but for sure it's not all that pleasant. Really all I'm saying is that if you can reconcile with yourself that you will have these glitches with your dealer and not have it ruin your day, and since you really don't have too many options to do your own work, I'd probably continue as you have been doing and hope for the best but expect, we'll not the worst, but less than the best!!

Reactions: budko
1 - 18 of 18 Posts