Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,
When my new sled arrives I'd like to install a Garmin XT GPS on a Touratech Locking mount above my gauge cluster.
The mount on the sled will need to receive a Ram Ball mount.
Should use the Glovebox Extension / GPS Support #860201249 base to mount this setup?
If the GPS/Touratech mount on the door of the extension, is this secure enough to prevent the door being opened and easily pulled off its hinges?
I'd also like to see your GPS setups/mounting on your Expedition, so post a pic!

Toy Font Personal protective equipment Automotive design Auto part

Rectangle Communication Device Gadget Map Payment card

Sleeve Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper Trigger

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a handle bar mount on one sled. And a sled with it on the glove box. Personally I prefer it on the bars. I use a 276cx garmin unit.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
7,766 Posts
The touratech mount will be heavy, too far off the surface and crate a ton of leverage and bounce; that door is thin and flimsy. If you're going to mount to the door, get a simple RAM cradle and direct mount. If you want to use the touratech mount, put it on the riser or bars.

A typical door mount (on an XS chassis sled, but same idea) is attached.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info and pics, thanks guys!
What if, to keep the touratech mount and still have the GPS located front-and-center on the sled, instead of adding the extension, I mounted the Ram Mount base to the top of the gauge cluster housing?
Would this work?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Although the extension door doesn't seem very robust, I've had no issues with my 276cx mounted to it over the last 7000km. I've had different units handlebar mounted in the past and I prefer the extension.

Gadget Gas Machine Personal protective equipment Video game accessory

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good pic, thanks! Likely I'll now forego the Touratech mount and just pop the GPS off and lock it in the storage box, or take it with me, when I leave the sled.

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,803 Posts
Good pic, thanks! Likely I'll now forego the Touratech mount and just pop the GPS off and lock it in the storage box, or take it with me, when I leave the sled.
Here is another one I have with almost 6000 miles on. Never once did it try to remove itself....This is called a roller mount>>>Directly mounted to the extension glove box door>>>>
Gadget Automotive design Measuring instrument Display device Motor vehicle

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here is another one I have with almost 6000 miles on. Never once did it try to remove itself....This is called a roller mount>>>Directly mounted to the extension glove box door>>>>
View attachment 1976559
Thanks for the pic!
What model GPS is this?
I've looked at the RAM® EZ-Roll'r™ models, and I can't find one that fits a Garmin XT....
I may have to just bolt the XT mount to the door:
Automotive tire Gadget Rim Camera accessory Automotive wheel system

Does anyone know if the top of the existing gauge housing is strong enough to mount a ram base to? As it appears if I use this surface and add a swivel Ram mount I'd have space to rotate the GPS to the best viewing angle.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,803 Posts
Thanks for the pic!
What model GPS is this?
I've looked at the RAM® EZ-Roll'r™ models, and I can't find one that fits a Garmin XT....
I may have to just bolt the XT mount to the door:
View attachment 1976605

Does anyone know if the top of the existing gauge housing is strong enough to mount a ram base to? As it appears if I use this surface and add a swivel Ram mount I'd have space to rotate the GPS to the best viewing angle.
View attachment 1976606
Just a plain old Nuvi 65>>>>>Actually just a GPS from a car and bought real cheap and I just put a little silicone around the outside edge of the screen>>>I think if I had to use in real extreme conditions then I would actually buy a what Norcan has the 276cx>>>>>And I might do that some day also anyway>>>

·
Registered
318 Posts
My vote goes to the bar mount as well. I've had the glovebox extension mount and it's terrible trying to read the gps when driving. On the bars you dampen the vibes. I use a ram mount on my 276cx on the bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts