Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There are probably lots of older posts about GPS units, so please excuse my ignorance if this is a rehash of old news, but I've never had one and I'm seriously considering getting a unit to use on my sled/boat year round. We're surrounded by hundreds of miles of wilderness up here and my wife's main worry(?) is that I'll get lost....

Neighbor has one and he plots trails on his compuker after we ride, the amazing widget actually prints trails overtop of local topo maps that he has loaded in his hard drive..!
He has an amazing map of local rides..

What I'd like to hear, if anyone cares to respond, is things like favorite features, problems with particular brand/unit, cold (-30 C ) performance, battery vs. plug-in, mounting accessories, ease of use, PC interface, etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Like you said, "there are lots of older posts about GPS units". Only problem is finding them with the search program, the search doesn't work for three characters or less - so it's virtually impossible to find them.

Most of the "new" GPS units are very user friendly, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to operate one. They have menus and point and click toggles switches that let you navigate around the various screens. I have the Garmin Etrex Legend, it's compact, powerful and easy to use, you can upload topo maps and download "tracks" to your computer to overlay onto maps. I use a RAM mount to attach it to my sled and I have a 12VDC car adapter plug so I can power the unit from my sled.

Here's a link to a recent post that might be helpful.

GPS

Oh yes, I would spend the extra $200 to get the color screen if I were getting a new GPS - the display is just that much better that it's worth the extra $$.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Try searching for "Garmin" that will bring up most of the GPS threads because they seem to be the most popular.

I did a bunch of research and was set on getting the Garmin eTrex Vista C but I'm having a hard time parting with $300+.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Shortbus said:
Try searching for "Garmin" that will bring up most of the GPS threads because they seem to be the most popular.

I did a bunch of research and was set on getting the Garmin eTrex Vista C but I'm having a hard time parting with $300+.

[snapback]262132[/snapback]​
DOO it! It'll be a good investment. You'll regret it if you get the non-color one and every time you look at the crappy black and grey screen it will just remind you that for a $100 more you could have got the color one.

·
Registered
616 Posts
IRONDOG - you must have missed Craig's post about searching 3 letter words! Throw a * (wildcard) in for the fourth letter, and search away.

papasled - I saved you the trouble of the search. Here's what's on at the moment:
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?ac...highlite=gps%2A

Hope the link works, it's awfully long. If it doesn't work, search for gps* and you should get three pages. Be sure to choose All Forums, and not just the General Discussion, or you may nott get much.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rev_it_up_600 said:
IRONDOG - you must have missed Craig's post about searching 3 letter words! Throw a * (wildcard) in for the fourth letter, and search away.

papasled - I saved you the trouble of the search. Here's what's on at the moment:
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?ac...highlite=gps%2A

Hope the link works, it's awfully long. If it doesn't work, search for gps* and you should get three pages. Be sure to choose All Forums, and not just the General Discussion, or you may nott get much.
[snapback]262211[/snapback]​
Hey, thanks rev it up, , a ton of info there. Of course, Cdn. prices are a lot higher, I might try eBay, wife buys stuff there and she's had good luck so far.
I think it's time to dive into the GPS frenzy but I'll doo the homework first, thanks to your info,

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
only problem with the garmin is some models only have 8MB of memory and are not upgradable. The more expensive units you can upgrade. They are all good units, I used a garmin last year, easy to use, but didn't like the non-upgradable memory. After researching them a bit more this year, I bought a Lowrance H20, its waterproof, memory is expandable using SD or MMC chips (I bought a 256MB chip for $45), its easy to use, a bit heavier than the Garmin I used, but thats not an issue. You can get RAM mounts for any type of GPS and I recommend them. They are very well made product. Came with a cigarette lighter, can be hooked up to a computer.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doo rider said:
only problem with the garmin is some models only have 8MB of memory and are not upgradable. The more expensive units you can upgrade. They are all good units, I used a garmin last year, easy to use, but didn't like the non-upgradable memory. After researching them a bit more this year, I bought a Lowrance H20, its waterproof, memory is expandable using SD or MMC chips (I bought a 256MB chip for $45), its easy to use, a bit heavier than the Garmin I used, but thats not an issue. You can get RAM mounts for any type of GPS and I recommend them. They are very well made product. Came with a cigarette lighter, can be hooked up to a computer.
[snapback]262234[/snapback]​
a cigarette lighter !! WOW....cool feature
lol, I think you meant a 12V cig lighter adapter, but it was funny. it reminded me of an ad a local put on our radio station "swap shop" a few days ago, selling his sled, it had "all the goodies PLUS air conditioning"...at least it made you sit up and say "Huh?"..

Thanks for the info, I'm going window shopping and tire-kicking tonight at Crappy Tire.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doo rider said:
Oh, then i can use the SD cards for my digital camera in the GPS, very nice !!
I have a few of them...
I'm going to surf for Garmin and Lowrance sites, compare prices, thanks again for the info !

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Neighbor has one and he plots trails on his compuker after we ride, the amazing widget actually prints trails overtop of local topo maps that he has loaded in his hard drive..!
He has an amazing map of local rides..
I use it to map tracks... and over lay on Delorme Topo, get one cause they're fun, but they are totally unnecessary on a sled for navigation, (in the Northeast anyway) buy a MAP!

but to keep a log of your rides its great and it looks cool on the sled too!

here is how I mounted mine, in this location it works down to -25F without a cover!

REV GPS BRACKET

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
papasled said:
doo rider said:
Oh, then i can use the SD cards for my digital camera in the GPS, very nice !!
I have a few of them...
I'm going to surf for Garmin and Lowrance sites, compare prices, thanks again for the info !

[snapback]262327[/snapback]​
Not sure about your camera, but my camera takes COMPACTFLASH cards. Different card completely. Check and see just to make sure.

YEAH screwed up on the 12v cig adapter. And I dont even smoke. Has anyone ever tried to use one of the old push in cigarette lighters on there sled???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just got a Magellan Gold. Has 16 MB built in maps and streets of north America. Plus expandable with a SD memory card. You can buy other maps and down load them. Last up to 14 hours on 2 AA batteries. It tracks your trail for you then you can fallow your own trail back to the start. Speed, distance, and elevation. Nice little unit. Check BizRate.com to compare prices.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello PapaSled;

i see your from YK; spent some time there, so Cheers!

i personally prefer the Garmin products; the 76c series with mapping capability seem to work great; compact with adequate memory too and tuff as nails.
The mounts that our fellow riders mentioned are a great thing; I still have problems with the LCD screen freezing up no matter how the aux. heating is jury rigged. I like the idea of a thumb warmer placed behind the GPS. Another idea from a fella that rides a Air cooled sled is to route some hot air to the GPS. This was done to sit on top of the hood near the console and a foam cut out to place the GPS in and a shroud to maintain air circulation seems to be the only way that work. A colour screen will freeze up quicker then a black/white screen display, but sure are nice to use.

I end up keeping mine in my inside pocket, and turn it on when i need it. This aint good for backtracking; but thats my method. We Dont have trees that we have to drive around and specific trails that we are required to use; unless i'm in a boat over shallows, i usually dont use the backtracking feature.

When you purchase a GPS product; buy the MapSource products that are accessories; this will enable you to be able to work on your mapping/trip planning on your computor.

rideon! -39 celsius today.

·
Registered
561 Posts
number10 said:
I end up keeping mine in my inside pocket, and turn it on when i need it. This aint good for backtracking; but thats my method. We Dont have trees that we have to drive around and specific trails that we are required to use; unless i'm in a boat over shallows, i usually dont use the backtracking feature.
[snapback]263746[/snapback]​
Have you ever tried leaving it on in your pocket? If so, did it still get a good signal so you can use the mapping feature?

·
Registered
67 Posts
yo Shortbus;

I really dont have another choice, unless i can rig something up that flips over the display when not in use (but unit still on) until i need it.
maybe another thumb warmer, but afraid it might drain the electrical system too much.

Otherwise, the GPS can be "On" long enough to use the basic features; ie. Go to, map shows up and i can orient myself if needed, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts