Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks,

waiting for the snow in New England with waaaay too much time on my hands to think about what i need on my new 2019 600 etec.. I want GPS but I don't know idf I should go with factory, OEM for convenience and ergonomics or if i should save some money and get an aftermarket that might be a little clunky but offer a larger screen and the chance to switch between sleds. It would be great to not have to put on my readers (150s) for the finer points of programming etc. but I don't think they make a screen that big for sleds.

would love to hear what decisions you guys made and why - and whether it worked out.

Thanks !!!

(wish there was a snow dance emoji!)

Ted

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
More pics and info in the GPS section....I bought a drive61lm , drilled through the center of the round mount and mounted it on the glovebox door. Worked great last year, and a nice big screen

·
Registered
463 Posts
I got the glove box extension and put my old GPS on it. I purchased a GPS mount and it works great. No more getting lost for me. My old sled a 16 Blizzard was a lot easier to install compared to my G4.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I recommend one of the 2 units Doo promotes, factory is better, no water issues, no battery issues, plug and play, so spend $600-$1k and you will have a unit that lasts the better part of a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Buy a Garmin Nuvi (any model) off ebay then buy a Ram Mount to match it. Works great. One with a spot for a removable memory card is easier to put trail maps on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I highly recommend the Montana which Doo supports, can be bought cheaper from any other vendor. I also recommend the Garmin 276 which I use. I do not recommend the ZUMO from Doo, cold weather issues as well as some navigation issues.

GPS selection can be as personal as buying clothing, what works for you may not work for me and vice versa. A lot of people on this forum get a lot of satisfaction from adapting automotive GPS (NUVI) to there sleds. They can install trail maps and it meets there requirement for navigation and budget.

I personally would not make that choice, I do a lot more off trail work and look for a navigation tool that meets those requirements. I have tested the Doo ZUMO and the Nuvi and it can't do what I need for my riding style.

Bottom line for a GPS selection is asking yourself what do you need, I know people who buy GPS units so they can say they have one. The main thing is if you get one, either automotive or outdoor learn what it can do and use it. Geocaching is a wonderful way to learn the capabilities of your GPS. I plan on setting up a few Caches this winter just for the sole purpose of getting people to utilize there GPS units to Geocache and sled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts