Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't really get an answer I was looking for. Can you guys tell me what mobile apps you may use for trail riding? I am looking for Northern Lower MI, but any ideas will help. The thing I find I am running into is the loss of cell phone signal... so what ways around that have you found?

Thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
As long as you have cell/internet coverage everywhere you ride.

I thought this resolved everything when they finally offered to let you download the maps, but you can only download and store one small area at a time.

I tried everything to avoid buying a GPS when I'm carrying a very smart phone with me. Finally this weekend I tried Avenza and I'm 85 percent content overall, and 100% for the trails. (It won't find gas, etc. without a connection, but you can work offline and set those up before you trip.

Start at the Michigan DNR site, who provides the maps and a link to the app: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_14824-31074--,00.html

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
iphone has built in GPS. No cell tower needed.

I use GaiaPro on my iPhone. You have to pre-download the maps, but that is simple enough. Once downloaded, you can shut off Wi-Fi and Cell Data and still have GPS.

·
Mod Smut
4,825 Posts
At least for VAST, the trail maps are horrible and quite inaccurate. Personally I use my boating app Navionics, which gives me where I went, speed, distance, etc.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I use GaiaPro on my iPhone. You have to pre-download the maps, but that is simple enough. Once downloaded, you can shut off Wi-Fi and Cell Data and still have GPS.
Hmmm I will check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you have cell/internet coverage everywhere you ride.
I thought this resolved everything when they finally offered to let you download the maps, but you can only download and store one small area at a time.

I tried everything to avoid buying a GPS when I'm carrying a very smart phone with me. Finally this weekend I tried Avenza and I'm 85 percent content overall, and 100% for the trails. (It won't find gas, etc. without a connection, but you can work offline and set those up before you trip.

Start at the Michigan DNR site, who provides the maps and a link to the app: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_14824-31074--,00.html
I checked this out but not too sure how you get the map into the app? Download a PDF and then add it to app? So basically just looking at a map but not paper, it doesn't actually track where you go?

·
Registered
330 Posts

Not as far as I know.

As far as I know, iPhones require a cellular signal to have the location services work properly. I would love to be proven wrong though.....then I could carry only my iPhone6 and not my GPSMap78 as well.

Edit : I have tried to find an answer about this on the web, but I cannot find anything definitive. If someone can point us to a link that gives an clue about operating an iPhone with only GPS signals available, I for one would be grateful.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just downloaded the Snow Trails by RiderX and downloaded the Michidan map. It does all the trails right from the get go. I am gonna **** cell service off for a bit on way to work and see if it follows me.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
This is from Apple's forums and I've also read about it in the RV forums. I put it to the test last time I was at the cabin. I was out in the middle of nowhere, fired up GaiaGPS app and tapped on the "my location" and it took me right to it. No cell service at the time.

As rominggnome showed, the iPhone does have a GPS receiver, and has since the iPhone 3G. And as Rudegar pointed out, the iPhone also has A-GPS capability, which lets the GPS receiver determine its current location much faster than normal. Without A-GPS, the GPS receiver has to wait -- sometimes multiple minutes -- before it can determine its location, because it doesn't know where the satellites are. A-GPS allows the phone to download satellite almanac data over the cellular network, so the GPS receiver can immediately know where all the satellites are. A-GPS is not necessary, however, for GPS operation -- even if you have no cellular service, you can still use the GPS receiver in the iPhone. I have done this many times, so I have no idea why your friends have had trouble. I recommend the MotionX GPS app, and it works really well out in the woods. You can even download offline map data.

But what the iPhone does NOT have is WAAS capability. The GPS receiver works by measuring how long it takes for the radio signals to propagate between the satellites and the receiver. The propagation time varies based on the current density of the atmosphere between each satellite and the receiver. Because of the density flucuations, a standard GPS receiver can only get a fix that is accurate to about 10 meters. However, some geostationary satellites transmit atmospheric density information that lets GPS receivers compensate for current atmospheric conditions, and this enables accuracies in the neighborhood of about 1 meter. Garmin has had WAAS capable receivers for years, as have other hand-held and aviation-based GPS receivers, so it is a bit surprising that Apple has not incorporated WAAS into their GPS radio -- especially since WAAS density data can be downloaded via the Internet, eliminating the need for increased radio weight. I and others have submitted requests for a WAAS capable GPS receiver in the iPhone, but Apple has not delivered. Perhaps it is because WAAS is only available in North America. However, according to the specs for the iPhone 4S and 5, it now supports GLONASS, which provides near-WAAS accuracy when combined with standard GPS, and is available worldwide. At least that is the next best thing to WAAS.

Now, the CoreLocation service on the iPhone combines 3 completely separate technologies: GPS, cell tower triangulation, and Wifi-based location. I don't know the algorithm they use, but I presume that they use whatever service is currently providing the most accurate location information.

Note that cell tower triangulation has nothing to do with GPS.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I tested the Snow Trails by RiderX this morn on way to work... Worked great. Was accurate to where I was too.(although I am in a populated area). I turned on Airplane mode, therefore only using GPS and it was damn near spot on. Also can add waypoints by pressing and holding screen, and can name them to your liking. If turned sideways, it even has a little display to view with speed and miles(if you mount it to sled or whatever). Just download the state you want offline map and ride. I will try up north in a couple weeks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453376151.875082.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453376160.395698.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry so blurry... Ha d to use small attachment size to upload.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is from Apple's forums and I've also read about it in the RV forums. I put it to the test last time I was at the cabin. I was out in the middle of nowhere, fired up GaiaGPS app and tapped on the "my location" and it took me right to it. No cell service at the time.

.............. snipped .......

Now, the CoreLocation service on the iPhone combines 3 completely separate technologies: GPS, cell tower triangulation, and Wifi-based location. I don't know the algorithm they use, but I presume that they use whatever service is currently providing the most accurate location information.

Note that cell tower triangulation has nothing to do with GPS.
TBA,

Thank you for this. I'll give it a try.

cheers

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts