Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k well time i introduce myself im 18 fresh in community college looking to go into teaching (winter break = winter riding trip) i live in Oswego IL (what happened to the snow we got when i was like 10) and work at Jewel Stocking the shelves makin just over 10 an hour

and since that kid was showing off all his dadys stuff i guess ill throw up my dads shop as well as my truck and my only sled which is a project

The Sled

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Truck
2004 ford ranger 3.0 2wd some mods

The Shop(26'x30' toys n workhorses only parking)

·
Registered
429 Posts
OK you guys thats what we used to call a zoomie. Hey guy, have fun on the old blizard, they were tough old rides. You may need a kidney belt

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eh its not that bad but new shocks/springs are deffinatly needed these are shot and bottom out way to easy

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Those are more like what the rest of us are used to. That other guys with the hopped up garage and whatnot was just a dream for most of us. Thanks for the reality check.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That sled looks like it has a fan-cooled motor in it. Therefore it is a 5500. A 9500 was a 440cc liquid with possibly twin pipes. What gives?

·
Registered
53 Posts
motor swap my grandpa bought it brand new in 81 in i belive 95 they blew the lc motor and threw this one in there. in honor of my dead grandpa im leaving that everything else will be replaced to how it is supposed to be and not jerry rigged unless someone has the original motor cheap or if i can find in in my uncles garage.

look what some guys said on another forum

I see some awesome innovations already on this project and you're just getting started!! The Brass Hammer doubles as a new style "Kill Button". The straw on the running boards, must be the "foot warmers". If you do some family drag races, my money is on either your mother on the scooter or dad on the John Deere, it's going to be close. The exhaust is "State of the Art" ( whatever that means ) w00t.gif
id sell your truck and buy a real sled
i like the vintage stuff and i can afford it so im gunna run on that til i get a real job after im done with college.

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
sounds like you have your head on strait. don't let any one get you down and be glad that you have the nice things you allready have. i started out on a '80 9500 hand-me-down and had a blast. called it the lead-sled because the suspension (or lack there of) would beat you to death. still have it out back. just can't part with it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It is real nice to see someone who has a firm grasp of responsibility and understanding priorities. I started out on a used sled that my dad owned when I was a kid. Located the person who had bought it from dad and bought it back. The sled was 11 years old at that time, but had sentimental value to me. Great memories! Do not let the negative posts get you down, some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth and do not appreciate things such as you do. I especially like the tribute to your Grandpa - very cool! Best of luck with your sled, keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Party Chief said:
sounds like you have your head on strait. don't let any one get you down and be glad that you have the nice things you allready have. i started out on a '80 9500 hand-me-down and had a blast. called it the lead-sled because the suspension (or lack there of) would beat you to death. still have it out back. just can't part with it.

[snapback]264854[/snapback]​
Yeah what he said. I know it seems far off when your young but get that good job and don't get married (date a lot) and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eh ive already dated alot think ive found akeeper but will c im not jumping into anything and thanks guys im all about old stuff anyways cause you can actually work on it its not so hi tech that you need special tools and such to do things to it and its just simple plus it makes you appreciate the advances in technology.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, thanks for the memories. Me and my 79 Blizzard 5500 saw 14000 plus glorius assbusting miles together away back then
I have missed my cowling based forced hot air trail side stop helmet pre heater ever since. That and rebuilding the belly pan with bondo every season

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw you ruined my truck shoulda done 32" tires no ghetto "edit for bad language" headlights just clear corners um likin the rest good ps though

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Nice sled, just to let you know that 503 isnt the original motor in the 9500. It should have a 440(type 454) liquid R/V motor. It should be a nice sled when completed though. If you need any help with it let me know. The Blizzard 5500 had the 503. Im 18 as well, and am glad there is other guys my age into the "real" snowmobiles. Vintage is the only way to go. If I want to ride in deep powder, I ride my Elan or Oly, If I want to go fast, I ride the Chaparral or the Blizzard 9500. Here are the reasons I ride only vintage
1. Its all I can afford
2. They look better
3. I have more parts sources than new sleds
4. For the money I could have spent on a new sled, I have 22 classics
5. The old sleds had class
6. They are lighter
7. Less parts to break
8. Get more attention than the new Mach Z when out riding my restored classics.
9. And girls like the long slow bumpy ride! lol.
10. Anyone who dont like vintage can kiss my

1 - 20 of 26 Posts