Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I were travelling along the wood line of a highway. It seemed alright at the time because of previous sled tracks, and I'm talking about a well travelled area about two hundred yards before the trail ducked back into the woods. Well we got bagged
for travelling along a public right of way. $120ea. I have been sledding for about 15 yrs and new of the right of way law so my point is, be sure it okay to ride the area your in and not just follow others example as I did.

·
Registered
276 Posts
sled-head said:
My brother and I were travelling along the wood line of a highway. It seemed alright at the time because of previous sled tracks, and I'm talking about a well travelled area about two hundred yards before the trail ducked back into the woods. Well we got bagged
for travelling along a public right of way. $120ea. I have been sledding for about 15 yrs and new of the right of way law so my point is, be sure it okay to ride the area your in and not just follow others example as I did.
[snapback]261482[/snapback]​
wow that sucks, i cant see a cop in my town giving tickets for doing that, heck i think one of our ways to a trial is on a highway overpass that leads to an on ramp, cops are pretty cool around here because most of them ride sleds also

·
Registered
536 Posts
That sucks!! Move to Alaska....we can ride right in town. You can pull right up to the pumps at the gas station, ride to the grocery store or even ride to the bar!!!

Alaskan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got pulled over on my ATV a number of years back by the DNR. We would have run if it were not for my girlfriend at the time was with us and she was a beginner rider. The DNR officer had his gun halfway out of the holster to when he got out of the truck! It was on a two lane public road up north. It ended up being a $110 ticket for all 4 of us except one of my friends who was riding a dual sport bike, he had his license on him. DOH!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MANITOBA X said:
UUHHMM why did you stop again? I'm all for laws...but not the ones you can ride away from!!

[snapback]261564[/snapback]​
I absolutely agree. The reason is my brother was ahead of me and stopped. What was he thinking.
Oh well at least the violation does not go on my driving record.

·
Registered
552 Posts
mxzscotty said:
Was this in the "live free or die" state ?? If you guy's where cool to the cop I can't believe he would issue a ticket. That sucks
[snapback]261714[/snapback]​
It's all because the drunken and or stupid "scud missile" pilots run into trees and other people and kill themselves, the Trout Troopers have strict orders for zero tolerance. If they weren't so Nazi about it, the flatlanders would ride down every street at 70 mph. It sucks, I got snipped twice for speed... logging road big enough for an 80,000 lb. 18 wheeler, clear sight for 1/2 mile, 62 mph. No discussion. darn the "anti's" who fuel this sh&%.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got a ticket this weekend too. Bemidji, MN. Group of three, I was the last one to cross a road and I didn't come to a complete stop. Of course the road was clear for miles in both directions, and I went across the road going 5 mph but that doesn't matter. In fact we saw the guy (of course it's a dnr officer, no self respecting cop would bother you for something like this) and didn't think nothing of it. In fact when he came flying after us with his lights on we thought he was going after something else. Of course no one got a ticket but me because I was the last one to cross... I hope the "edit for bad language" gets shot by a poacher, no reason to be harrassing people like that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
hahaha i would of said see ya later !!! was racing on a secondary road with some guy i didnt know did a run started to turn around and there was the cop racing up with his lights on , the guy ended up turning all the way around and got busted , i just headed the other way and into the trails lol . But i could see you stoping if you had no where to go but i lucked out and had the main trail right there and then took 2 tracks back to the cabin. it was fun

·
Crazy Person
5,618 Posts
Alaskan said:
That sucks!! Move to Alaska....we can ride right in town. You can pull right up to the pumps at the gas station, ride to the grocery store or even ride to the bar!!!

Alaskan
[snapback]261560[/snapback]​
Same with the NWT. You can ride sleds and 4 wheelers everywhere, even on the highways.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yellowknife said:
Alaskan said:

Alaskan
[snapback]261560[/snapback]​
Same with the NWT. You can ride sleds and 4 wheelers everywhere, even on the highways.
[snapback]262162[/snapback]​
its the same here with sleds, but for atvs we can't ride in town, since they wouldn't pass the bill or whatever, which I think is stupid since people just ride them anyways forcing the cops to chase them, which just creates more danger for other drivers,

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Hold On...516 said:
i would of never stopped for the piggy!!!!or fish and game!!!unless they had a road block or sumting ! gotta atleast try to get away!!!

[snapback]262200[/snapback]​
Well, if I were you I'd rethink that. I used to run from the cops all the time on my dirt bikes .. always just thought it was a big joke. I got chased one day on a public road, and as usual, I jetted for the trails. Most of the trails were still snow covered, very early sping. Anyway, I ended up taking a spill and got caught. I was only 16. Long story short, if I had stopped, $100 fine. Since I ran, I got charge with failing to obey a police officer, reckless driving, and the $100 fine.
I was a minor, so I had to go to court. Since I had no money the judge dropped the fine, but the other charges stood and for that, they suspended me from operating any recreational vehicle for 1 yr - and let me tell you, that was the worst punishment ever. I did still operate them in the bush, etc, but my parents limited my use.

PS: if you hurt somebody in the process of trying to get away, then you're really #*&%!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
This discusion has come up before on Amsnow.com. I remember one fella said that where he rides, if you try to run they have a another officer on a sled down the trail , just before you pass, he will pull out in front of you broad side, and then hop off the sled., leaving you no choice, but to hit him. From what he was saying, then you are not only guilty of felony flee, but destruction of govt property, assult, and in some cases attempted murder. Does anyone else remember that post?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.