Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was poking around on Google Maps this evening checking out the street view of BRP's facility in Finland when I found that someone did a "street view" ride of most of the snowmobile trails in the area. Basically, Google gets all of their street view shots by mounting a 360 degree camera on top of a car and they drive around recording everything. Well someone mounted that camera to their snowmobile and rode all of the trails. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to go for a trail ride in Finland, check it out. Definitely a fun way to scratch the lack of snow itch if you're missing snow. I can't stop clicking through to see what's around the next corner.

The best way I can suggest to find the trail view versus the traditional road shots is to look for a road that runs right down the middle of one of the lakes or rivers and that's a snowmobile trail. Another suggestion is to start like I did and look right in front of BRP's facility.

Few things I noticed:

• Awesome snow cover in all of the shots. Maybe he just picked the ideal day but there's no snirt or blown out corners like we get in northern Wisco. It's farther north than Yellowknife so I guess no surprise.
  • Trail on a major overpass has a dedicated section for the trail and is no groomed. Why can't Wisconsin figure this out on some of the road the trails dump out on.
  • Trails around town could use some grooming.
  • Trails outside of town are pretty good.
  • You can ride most of the waterways through the city (there are several).
  • If you scroll through enough, you'll find him passing other groups of sleds but not many.
  • Most groups seem to be all on the exact same sleds. Must be rentals or tours? You can see one group stopped on the west shore of lake Alaselka.
  • Only signage is basically signs indicating you are on the trail and stop signs.

Anyone else know of any other locations where you can ride the snowmobile trails on google maps?

If you don't know how to use street view in Google maps or aren't familiar with it, I can't help you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was poking around on Google Maps this evening checking out the street view of BRP's facility in Finland when I found that someone did a "street view" ride of most of the snowmobile trails in the area. Basically, Google gets all of their street view shots by mounting a 360 degree camera on top of a car and they drive around recording everything. Well someone mounted that camera to their snowmobile and rode all of the trails. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to go for a trail ride in Finland, check it out. Definitely a fun way to scratch the lack of snow itch if you're missing snow. I can't stop clicking through to see what's around the next corner.

The best way I can suggest to find the trail view versus the traditional road shots is to look for a road that runs right down the middle of one of the lakes or rivers and that's a snowmobile trail. Another suggestion is to start like I did and look right in front of BRP's facility.

Few things I noticed:

• Awesome snow cover in all of the shots. Maybe he just picked the ideal day but there's no snirt or blown out corners like we get in northern Wisco. It's farther north than Yellowknife so I guess no surprise.
  • Trail on a major overpass has a dedicated section for the trail and is no groomed. Why can't Wisconsin figure this out on some of the road the trails dump out on.
  • If you scroll through enough, you'll find him passing other groups of sleds but not many.
  • Most groups seem to be all on the exact same sleds. Must be rentals or tours? You can see one group stopped on the west shore of lake Alaselka.
  • Only signage is basically signs indicating you are on the trail and stop signs.

Anyone else know of any other locations where you can ride the snowmobile trails on google maps?

If you don't know how to use street view in Google maps or aren't familiar with it, I can't help you.
Thank you for this! Now I have to figure out how not to get sucked into this during work hours!

·
Premium Member
27,932 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the post ! - quick note - technically the area around Yellowknife and north is a desert - dry and low precipitation. You'll likely get more around the Great Lakes snow generator. That being said, there are no "organized" trails around Yellowknife or the NWT. Yukon, next door to NWT and Alaska will generally get more snow from the Pacific ocean influence.

Not to take away from your Finland post - great idea!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Few things I noticed:

Around the city the trails are most often quite bumpy as there is heavy traffic all season. And yes we have lots of tourist groups with rental sleds. Tourism and related business had a huge growth here past 20 years. There are so many accidents by tourists that it has had an affect on insurance rates for us regular riders too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Around the city the trails are most often quite bumpy as there is heavy traffic all season. And yes we have lots of tourist groups with rental sleds. Tourism and related business had a huge growth here past 20 years. There are so many accidents by tourists that it has had an affect on insurance rates for us regular riders too.
Great to hear from someone with first hand experience. Are there speed limits?

Reactions: Driver#96

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Nice find!

I was working on a trail map project a few years ago and needed my trail footage images "geotagged" for reference. Its similar to Street view but not in 360. They now accept 360 footage but did not at the time.

I uploaded 50GB of GPS action camera video footage and it cuts it up into pictures.

You can explore at the links below.

Allegany State Park

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=482306089640205

Erie Canal

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=127507119370294

Chautauqua County

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=932481244220673

1 - 8 of 8 Posts