Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2016 800etec and would like to throw a kit from GP in. Although I might not gain much I might also throw a bikeman y pipe, muffler, maybe reeds. Anyone running this combination or something similar and will their standard kit work with these minor upgrades? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Call Dynamo Joe (he is a sponsor) and let him know your mods and he will get you set up. Forget the muffler (can), you will gain nothing and possibly loose power. Also if you ride in Michigan and you get pulled over by the DNR, you could receive a $250.00 fine for failure to pass DB Test (Loud Exhaust).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking the muffler more for weight savings and not the high volume can just one that makes it not sound like a tractor :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pretty set on getting the Goodwin kit just wondering if the standard kit will work with the mods and if anyone is running something similar. I would imagine so considering the y pipe isn't going to produce huge gains.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have a Goodwin kit in my 13 renegade 800 and I am very happy with it I can't compare to other kits, but my clutches def run cooler and back shift is better which is what I was looking for. You could always call GP and talk with them they would know best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Goodwin kit in my 13 renegade 800 and I am very happy with it I can't compare to other kits, but my clutches def run cooler and back shift is better which is what I was looking for. You could always call GP and talk with them they would know best.
I think ill give them a call tomorrow. I bought the sled at a dealer 3 hours away so I cannot pick it up until Saturday. The deal was to good to pass up! trying to get some accessories lined up

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Both BMP and dynoport y pipes promote better flow as the are a skosh larger. Personally I think the dynoport y pipe is the better of the two. You can get the dynoport y pipe from Goodwin

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Better fit. When I bought my renegade it already had the BMP on it pipe and muffler did not fit as snug as I liked with the dynoport it fit as it should. Sold the BMP to a friend he had the same issue. This is on an 800 ptek not sure about the fit on an etec.

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Call Dynamo Joe (he is a sponsor) and let him know your mods and he will get you set up. Forget the muffler (can), you will gain nothing and possibly loose power. Also if you ride in Michigan and you get pulled over by the DNR, you could receive a $250.00 fine for failure to pass DB Test (Loud Exhaust).
Howdy.

For 800etec Im only doing clutch kits for 1.75 tracks and bigger, more difficult use - rough trail and backcountry.

For older than 800etec, the 800R, I do kits for them down to 1" track.

Thanks for the cheers on recommending me though. :buddies:

For 1"~1.6" for sure...

www.goodwinperformance.com

www.laflammeracing.com

http://www.howardsinc.net

Their competition reacts to them - they don't react to their competition. They build competent stuff.

I have advice for the y-pipe buyer.

When you go to buy a y-pipe and a clutch kit - contact the "clutch kit vendor" and ask them what the best running y-pipes they've got personal first hand knowledge with. Next question is to ask if any of their customers have seen engine speed changes (lower) when after installing a y-pipe and was there a remedy for it? (like going back to stock or another brand)

I have a sh]t pile of time trying y-pipes out there and either I got some bunk ones, or I dont have a clue how to clutch to them. I dont have too much good to say about them from my own testing.

Systematic step by step testing

First test your clutch kit with stock exhaust. Go get your sea legs with your new clutch kit. Dial in the flyweight so you get the correct engine speed. Get 2 tanks of gas into your clutch kit and be able to say to yourself "Ahhh....this is the way it should be". Once you've commissioned your clutch kit, now go and change the power shape of your engine by adding the y-pipe and see what happens for engine speed.

Heh...you just might lose some. And if you pull flyweight out and the engine still runs the same lower speed but pull feels less, then go back and pull out another 1/2 gram to get the engine back to rated speed. If the engine does have higher speed but the pull becomes less (you can feel this pretty good) then that y-pipe has changed your engine speed. Probably by virtue of the increase in cc's this new pipe has vs. the original.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy.

For 800etec Im only doing clutch kits for 1.75 tracks and bigger, more difficult use - rough trail and backcountry.

For older than 800etec, the 800R, I do kits for them down to 1" track.

Thanks for the cheers on recommending me though. :buddies:

For 1"~1.6" for sure...

www.goodwinperformance.com

www.laflammeracing.com

http://www.howardsinc.net

Their competition reacts to them - they don't react to their competition. They build competent stuff.

I have advice for the y-pipe buyer.

When you go to buy a y-pipe and a clutch kit - contact the "clutch kit vendor" and ask them what the best running y-pipes they've got personal first hand knowledge with. Next question is to ask if any of their customers have seen engine speed changes (lower) when after installing a y-pipe and was there a remedy for it? (like going back to stock or another brand)

I have a sh]t pile of time trying y-pipes out there and either I got some bunk ones, or I dont have a clue how to clutch to them. I dont have too much good to say about them from my own testing.

Systematic step by step testing

First test your clutch kit with stock exhaust. Go get your sea legs with your new clutch kit. Dial in the flyweight so you get the correct engine speed. Get 2 tanks of gas into your clutch kit and be able to say to yourself "Ahhh....this is the way it should be". Once you've commissioned your clutch kit, now go and change the power shape of your engine by adding the y-pipe and see what happens for engine speed.

Heh...you just might lose some. And if you pull flyweight out and the engine still runs the same lower speed but pull feels less, then go back and pull out another 1/2 gram to get the engine back to rated speed. If the engine does have higher speed but the pull becomes less (you can feel this pretty good) then that y-pipe has changed your engine speed. Probably by virtue of the increase in cc's this new pipe has vs. the original.
Thank you. I agree! Try a different clutch configuration and go from there. I doubt any simple bolt on is going to make a big difference on these 800's. The GP kit might be enough on its own

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
A competent clutch kit can convert anywhere fom 6~11hp down to the track in real "side to side" testing.

Then take the possibility of spending $$$ to go backwards by 2~3hp on a certain few brands of y-pipe?

...going backwards man.

have to take one step at a time.

When you make 2 changes you leave yourself in limbo - factually it doubles your tuning time because you dont know how to gage the outcome from a known fact. And the results you have you can't gage if they are sufficient or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts