Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got some snow back in northern NY... about 2-3 feet of fresh powder to be exact. A few buddies and i took a ride on the hill. I was driving along and the engine just started to bog down then just shut off. I pulled over and changed the plugs and it started right back up (plugs had a little black on them but not too bad). About 3 miles later the same thing happened it bogged down and shut off. This time the plugs looked to be somewhat dry and did have small signs of oil on them. I am very much concerned now that we have alot of snow again. What could this possibly be? FYI(had a complete top end rebuild about 400 miles ago with cudney pistons and rings, also i have not ran a compression test as of yet).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also have been informed by a friend that it possibly could me water in or around the engine from snow dust... i didn't have the heated carbs on, and i was riding in very windy, powder conditions with many snowdrifts.

·
aka DooNut.
1,623 Posts
Guessing a fuel pump on it's way out?

·
Super Moderator
29,357 Posts
Ice_Man_7c said:
I also have been informed by a friend that it possibly could me water in or around the engine from snow dust... i didn't have the heated carbs on, and i was riding in very windy, powder conditions with many snowdrifts.
[snapback]702262[/snapback]​
That sure could do it. Make sure you're running enough isopropyl and keep the intake filters clean.

·
RETIRED
11,148 Posts
check your carb boots

if it happens again, open the panel right away and see if you can turn the primary

same exact thing happened to me, could be an air leak

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems with fresh powder on the ground.

I had a thermostat go bad last week, if you dont have a temp gauge installed they are worth their weight in gold IMO.

Wierd problem, keep us posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yea I agree with mxzrevman I hate to say it but it sounds like a burn down, the first thing I would do is a comp test ,

·
Registered
104 Posts
My buddy told me that his friend with an 03' 800 gade lost a piston because of a tiny tear in the boot a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally took a compression test... 125 psi on chaincase side, and 25 psi (not a misprint) on the clutch side. After tearing the topend apart i noticed that the bad piston and ring were flaked (cudney products w/ less than 400 miles) and really lean (sled is bone stock with no jetting changes or anything). Also it got so hot that the rod blew through the case on the bottom end. I also am figuring that my crank is gone as well since at least two bearings are shot.
My season is over... I am going to seriously be thinking about going four stroke for next season.

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday, but mine was on the Mag side, PTo side was nice and dark and Mag side was Grey, just shut down on me didnt seize whatsoever, and just rebuilt mine 100 miles ago.
Its obvious it has no compression cause a 2 yr old can pull it over. I dont know where to start on this one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I guess it's just gunna take some time for now, This has been a really bad season in more than one way... first did pistons and rings, then the long lack of snow, Now this, it kinda makes me upset to see that the season is over for now. I will be back next season though bigger and better.

·
RETIRED
11,148 Posts
Ice_Man_7c said:
Well I finally took a compression test... 125 psi on chaincase side, and 25 psi (not a misprint) on the clutch side. After tearing the topend apart i noticed that the bad piston and ring were flaked (cudney products w/ less than 400 miles) and really lean (sled is bone stock with no jetting changes or anything). Also it got so hot that the rod blew through the case on the bottom end. I also am figuring that my crank is gone as well since at least two bearings are shot.
My season is over... I am going to seriously be thinking about going four stroke for next season.

[snapback]704269[/snapback]​
did you find out why it happened, why the meltdown???

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ice_Man_7c said:
We finally got some snow back in northern NY... about 2-3 feet of fresh powder to be exact. A few buddies and i took a ride on the hill. I was driving along and the engine just started to bog down then just shut off. I pulled over and changed the plugs and it started right back up (plugs had a little black on them but not too bad). About 3 miles later the same thing happened it bogged down and shut off. This time the plugs looked to be somewhat dry and did have small signs of oil on them. I am very much concerned now that we have alot of snow again. What could this possibly be? FYI(had a complete top end rebuild about 400 miles ago with cudney pistons and rings, also i have not ran a compression test as of yet).
[snapback]702259[/snapback]​
Where are you in NY

·
Registered
541 Posts
For some reason it looked like an oil line or something on the pto side, down on the case wasn't attatched, or it got plugged somehow???? I did hear a knocking noise right before it went down, but it was too late. Either way it let air in and that took down the pto cylinder and somehow blew the rod through the case. As of right now, the only thing that i can think that may have caused this was that snake oil i was running...Blue Marble (going back to amsoil when i rebuild). I do for a fact know that it was getting oil (oil pump was stuck wide open once i got it back to the shop). As for the reed boots, no i have v force 3's in it, and they are fine. i will try to get some pics of the case and see what you guys think.

BTW, i am by Watertown, NY

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
does anyone else have any ideas on the cause of this... like i said i put cudney pistons and rings in about 350 miles ago (which, in essence was a waste if this happened).

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would rule out your oil. Seems to me it would be rebuild related, I just built mine and pinched the fuel line - had the same initial stalling problem you had.

Most likely a PTO seal, carb boot, or something like that that allowed the air in.

REV*BARON said:
Need a pic of which line was unhooked on the PTO side.
[snapback]727186[/snapback]​

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
If a rod went through the case how are you getting the piston to move to make any compression ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine went down last year. A thrust washer ripped in half off the crank and flew around inside the case. One piece made it up into the top end and beat the piston and head to crap.

The other piece floated around in the bottom until it got jamed inbetween the crank and the case, and bang. The case was blown open.

Full short block replacement from BRP. Cheapest way to go for sure.

We used the 04 shortblock as it already has the PTO seal retainer, and we hope, other updates. (same price). You can re-use everything else.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts