Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the sleds out last night. Were riding in weird snow. About 4 inches of sleet w/ a slight crust and 2 inches of powder on top of that. Temps were prolly around 10 degrees f. Got onto the groomed trails, were on a wide flat trail and were running around 60 mph and rpm's were a consitent 6000. We varried the throttle but 6000 was about the norm. We stopped at an intersection and I noticed a glow from the bottom of my fiances sled(buddy was riding it). He hit the throttle and sparks and blue flames shot out. We shut it down and let it cool. He was following me and was getting a lot of snow dust so I decided to use the carb heaters. Heard that it'll make the sled run a little richer so hey, they're there, use em. Ran home after that(about 20 miles) with all kinds of trail conditions and never had a problem. Oh, the ride was great. I've been having a problem w/ a slight bog just off of idle on this sled and it's still doing it. When I had the carbs off the last time I noticed the slides look like they have a slight difference in the gap between each other. Couldn't really measure it w/ calipers so I shrugged my shoulders and put them back in. I'm assuming that was wrong and they should be exact. How do I adjust this? I have the equipment at work to measure it. I'll put it up on a comperitor. What other causes for the cherry red can?

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
wecker20 said:
Had the sleds out last night. Were riding in weird snow. About 4 inches of sleet w/ a slight crust and 2 inches of powder on top of that. Temps were prolly around 10 degrees f. Got onto the groomed trails, were on a wide flat trail and were running around 60 mph and rpm's were a consitent 6000. We varried the throttle but 6000 was about the norm. We stopped at an intersection and I noticed a glow from the bottom of my fiances sled(buddy was riding it). He hit the throttle and sparks and blue flames shot out. We shut it down and let it cool. He was following me and was getting a lot of snow dust so I decided to use the carb heaters. Heard that it'll make the sled run a little richer so hey, they're there, use em. Ran home after that(about 20 miles) with all kinds of trail conditions and never had a problem. Oh, the ride was great. I've been having a problem w/ a slight bog just off of idle on this sled and it's still doing it. When I had the carbs off the last time I noticed the slides look like they have a slight difference in the gap between each other. Couldn't really measure it w/ calipers so I shrugged my shoulders and put them back in. I'm assuming that was wrong and they should be exact. How do I adjust this? I have the equipment at work to measure it. I'll put it up on a comperitor. What other causes for the cherry red can?
[snapback]722775[/snapback]​
you could have gotten snow in ythe exaust! anything in the exaust will cause the sled to stall out and not start or if the sled keeps running u will get a hot spot in the muffler! your carbs (if they are flatslides) are easy to sync. you can use a drill bit for the gauge and set the carbs so that the slides have the same amount of gap under them! i dont know what size bit to use for your sled (i have an 800)but maybe someone else here can help us out! also low end bog can be caused by improper belt deflection adjustment! do a search on the belt deflection and you will find out how to do this also it is in your owners man. hope this helps

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pull the 360 main jets and replace them with 370s. Move the carb needle clips to the middle slot and open up the fuel screws to two full turns from lightly seated and set the oil pump cable to 14mm and you should never see a hot glowing can again. To sync the carb slides a small mirror is very helpful to see the slides while syncing them. While looking into the carbs open the throttle just slightly to visually see if the slides start moving at the same time. If not there is a small screw located near the thumb screw(idle screw)you will need a phillips screw driver to adjust it. Turn it slightly to the left or right then note if your slides are moving at the same time or not. Just fiddle with it and you will get it. Good luck. Dont forget to readjust the idle when all adjustments are done.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Your probably sucking air in from a cracked reed boot.

Same thing happened to a bud's sled,can red hot.

Pull your carbs off and reed boots and bend them all around....you will probably find a crack in them.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
My 05 Never Glows the can, but often belches fire out the exhaust outlet. Especially after a long pull on a railroad grade. When I let off, it pops and gurgles fire for 10 seconds.
Mine is completely stock.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
CATEATER_REV said:
Something suck in the exhast...

[snapback]723189[/snapback]​
Nah.....Mine's almost always held WIDE Focking OPEN, so there shouldn't be anything in the exhaust!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would a bad y-pipe seal(s) cause a hot can and sluggish off the start? Had some loose bolts and one missing and all I did was tighten them up and replaced the missing one. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Mine are tight as hell, and never once came loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts