Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on......Season is now 5 weeks maybe......This weather is going to hurt sport....Do you think global warming is killing our winters.....I havent used my snow blower yet....Mid jan I can never remember a winter like this...What the....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear you. Swedish winter sucks too. 0 degress Centigrade in January... we usually have -30 this time of year. Maybe it's time to agree on that Kyoto protocol..? Ah well, I guess we'll all be riding Jet skis in a couple of years.

/P

·
Registered
137 Posts
This weather is crazy. I used my snowblower for the first time yestareday, I live 50 miles notrth of Minneapolis MN. We got about 5inches yesterday but before that the ground was barely white.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
global warming is caused by stuff we put in the air,I'm not a tree hugger but ,if we have the technoligy to clean up our sleds, power plants,cars ect. I guess we should.At first when I saw the US gov making 2 stroke emission laws I thought ,theirs our goverment forceing themselvs in my life (aka seat belt,helmet law) But you have to admit the new sdi rock's ,and moore good things to follow.
Ounce again I'm not a tree hugger but so far good thing's have come about because the gov says we need cleaner motor's ,I love to fish and I alway's hated looking at all the oil those crappy old motor's dump in the water.
If we don't want to have to travel to the artic in January to snowmobile , maybe we should do our part!!!

·
Advanced......dat's how ah roll.
1,950 Posts
I've heard that in 10 years there will be no snow in continental US. Whether it's true or not, I dunno. If we don't have snow anymore, I'll eithor become a big time asphalt dragger, or a waterskipper. My summit would skip sumthin fierce.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dont stand on either side of the enviromental fence, but I have watched enough documentaries to know the earth warms in cycles. It happened thousands of years ago and the show I saw claims it triggered the ice age. I know for a fact that the experts claim that the rain forest is going to cause some problems. It seems that the trees are all close to the same age. When they reach the end of their life cycle, they will die off. When a large percentage of the forest dies off in a short period of time 2 things happen....1.the rotting trees release carbon dioxide and 2.it takes several years for new trees to take their place. I am by no means saying we arent are own worst enemies and call me selfish for saying this but: nothing pi$$es me off more than government breaking my balls about my sled and weedwhacker when they do nothing about these factories making millions of $$$ as they pump more crap in the air per minute than I could in a year.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The earth has been warming up ever since the end of the ice age, are we causing it? NO!! Are we contributing? YES, were probably speeding up the cycle but I really doubt if all burning of fossil fuels were to completely stop worldwide things would change.

Norm

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Global warming is a reality folks. The weather is running in extremes all over the planet. It's a wonder the lights haven't gone out with all the crap we are collectively spewing into the atmosphere and oceans...

·
Registered
292 Posts
After reading the following, we can all relax. Its been hot in NY in January before (see last line below)...

Record high temperature set at Buffalo...

A new high temperature record of 67 degrees was set in Buffalo today
at 1108 am EST. This breaks the old long standing record of 65
degrees set back in 1890.

Temperatures will continue to rise this afternoon and this record
temperature will be updated as necessary.

Only 4 other times since record keeping has the temperature in the
month of January been warmer than today.

The all time January high temperature record is 72 degrees set
back in 1950.

·
Phil in the NEK
985 Posts
nutswithtwins - - good post!

YOu just saved me a bunch of typing

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
This sucks. Mid January and it's 60 something out. What gives. Does anyone ever recal a winter this bad ni the NE?

·
Registered
206 Posts
No doubt we are in a bad cycle. We haven't been that warm in Minneapolis but we also haven't had a snow storm that produced more than 1" this year yet - a new record. Its -1 here right now at 1pm and won't be above zero until sometime Monday or Tuesday next week so no global warming here right now. We are having a drought. It never fails to amaze me how it can rain and be 20 degrees at the same time. Our last three storms have been sleet and freezing rain when it was cold enough for snow.

I'm not buying that global warming crap - its just the cycle we are in. 114 years of records don't mean a thing it the big picture. It's snowing many places it never did before this year and many places that usually get snow are 'unusually' warm and/or dry. Snowmobiling is like farming and we are always at the mercy of the weather. Not every year is a good year. In fact, the last 4 years have been bad for sleds here. At least they have good snow a couple of hours north of Minneapolis.

Industry, airplanes, trucks, autos, volcanos, forest, oil and brush fires all contribute much more to any 'perceived' global warming issues in one hour than all the sleds ever made have and that's a fact!

·
found elsewhere
11,916 Posts
rs2 said:
No doubt we are in a bad cycle. We haven't been that warm in Minneapolis but we also haven't had a snow storm that produced more than 1" this year yet - a new record. Its -1 here right now at 1pm and won't be above zero until sometime Monday or Tuesday next week so no global warming here right now. We are having a drought. It never fails to amaze me how it can rain and be 20 degrees at the same time. Our last three storms have been sleet and freezing rain when it was cold enough for snow.

I'm not buying that global warming crap - its just the cycle we are in. 114 years of records don't mean a thing it the big picture. It's snowing many places it never did before this year and many places that usually get snow are 'unusually' warm and/or dry. Snowmobiling is like farming and we are always at the mercy of the weather. Not every year is a good year. In fact, the last 4 years have been bad for sleds here. At least they have good snow a couple of hours north of Minneapolis.

Industry, airplanes, trucks, autos, volcanos, forest, oil and brush fires all contribute much more to any 'perceived' global warming issues in one hour than all the sleds ever made have and that's a fact!
[snapback]265459[/snapback]​
I live an hour north of Duluth and we are around avg. or just under for snow depth for this time of year. We got snow 2 weeks later than normal, but other than that nothing really to complain about. I jumped off the trail in a couple places yesterday and snow went up over my knee.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts