Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is getting really annoying. When my helmet visor is down my glasses fog up on every breath (HJC CL14/heated shield). I have to ride with the visor up to keep my glasses clear. I want to stick with the CL14 though. I have problems getting a full breath with the breath box that came with the CL14 and would prefer not to use it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a solution for my glasses that will keep them from fogging up? I can't ride the way they are now.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Had the same problems with different HJC's...Switched to modular helmet and the problem was corrected.

The HJC's just don't seem to have good enough air flow.

Bob

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My answer doesn't involve HJC, but it's the only answer I've got - Bombi Modular. And I'm sure there's lots of people out there that'll crap all over that answer, but it's been the only solution I've found so far to fogging glasses.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a nut for getting the safest stuff, and I've heard the modulars are nowhere near as safe in head-ons so I'm hoping to stick with the CL14. I'm wondering if anyone knows of some miracle spray or goop I can put on my glasses that actually works.

I picked up some stuff today that was supposed to have been used by "the astronauts to keep their shields fog free in the rigors of space." I guess snowmobiling is just a harsher environment

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
labatt said:
So this is getting really annoying. When my helmet visor is down my glasses fog up on every breath (HJC CL14/heated shield). I have to ride with the visor up to keep my glasses clear. I want to stick with the CL14 though. I have problems getting a full breath with the breath box that came with the CL14 and would prefer not to use it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a solution for my glasses that will keep them from fogging up? I can't ride the way they are now.
[snapback]259216[/snapback]​
Could try using anti-fog cleaner on your glasses and your visor each time you ride and forget about using the heated shield.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
i switched to contacts several years ago. never again will i ride with glasses. lots easier and made riding alot better. ski

·
Registered
438 Posts
i rode this morning with my cl14 and had the same problem with sun glasses and i had the deflector in that goes over my nose, i know it's worse for you labatt, i don't have to wear glasses but i would like to know the solution also

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't have the HJC but try it without the breath deflector being you have the heated visor you don't need it. I took mine out and breath much easier with less glasses fogging. Also I find if I leave the visor open a crack until you get moving helps also....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The heated visor works great with keeping the visor nice and fog free, but unfortunately it doesn't do much for my glasses. I found an interesting (but discouraging) article here that talks about the reasons for fogging.

I've also found a number of anti-fog sprays, waxes and cleansers online. I was thinking about ordering 3 or 4 of them and then writing up a review. Most of them offer a "30 day money back guaranty", although we all know how that goes...

Until then, has anyone used anything on their glasses that actually works?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cabela's and Bass Pro sells some soft static bi-focal that I put on the inside of my sheild. Works great, using them for 2 years now, haven't come off yet.
Keep my glasses in my tank bag for finer stuff.
I think the price range is $20-$30.

·
Registered
56 Posts
labatt said:
[snapback]259216[/snapback]​
One of my friends drilled holes in face sheild he said it helped..?
More air I guess.

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
I was going to recommend a NO-FOG mask, but if you have problems breathing with the stock breath box, this would not work for ya, as they restrict your breathing even more.

Jerry C.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I'm a nut for getting the safest stuff, and I've heard the modulars are nowhere near as safe in head-ons
Whoever started that rumor should be shot....head-on crashes are far from a controlled environment!

Hey Labatt, as for the safest stuff...fogging helmet/glasses ain't safe at any time.

As per above, the only solution is a modular, or BVs2, or a "no-fog" mask. You pick!

I started wearing glasses 10 years ago after I hit a tree & took a swift knock to the head. Then was riding with my visor open a crack, then went to the "no-fog" mask, (works, but a pain in the @$$), then to a modular when they came out 5 years(?) ago. Thinking of getting another....mines gettin' tired.

Absolutely "0" fog.

Mattie

·
Registered
268 Posts
I kinda cheated,Had Lasic surgery which really cleared up the fogging problem.But before that I put a coating of Anti-fog on the lens and rode with the shield cracked open

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I kinda cheated,Had Lasic surgery which really cleared up the fogging problem.
Hey, GSX, would you recommend it? Here's my rumour: I understand that some people experience a "halo effect" with oncoming lights at night after having surgery.

Mattie
(tempted)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I switched to the HJC CLK4 helmet and Scott OTG (over the glasses) goggles on a quik strap. That cured fogging for me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
mattie said:
I kinda cheated,Had Lasic surgery which really cleared up the fogging problem.
Hey, GSX, would you recommend it? Here's my rumour: I understand that some people experience a "halo effect" with oncoming lights at night after having surgery.

Mattie
(tempted)
[snapback]260315[/snapback]​
Mattie,When I had mine done the cost was 2900.00.The company I worked for paid 2100.00 under Its major medical plan and I paid the other 800.00.I am now 20/20-20/30 but still need reading glasses for close-up work.Rather than looking for my reading glasses all the time I usually just leave then on and look over the top for distance.I use a module helmet and Its great riding without glasses so no fogging problems.As with anything you need to weigh the pro"s and con"s but I would do It again just for the convience of not wearing glasses when I ride.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wear glasses as well and I ride with a Skidoo Mod helmet. No fogging at all. The contacts or lasik would really help. I don't want to pony up the $ for the lasik yet, my eyes are real bad -6 in both. I have contacts but haven't tried to ride with them yet. I don't have the fogging problem with the modular.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts