Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Great news, tracking fellow riders in your group is getting closer!!!

For years I have been hunting and talking to companies about being able to do this and out of the blue a fellow DooTalker ttmustang told me about the NS1 Gauge system and Next Stage Gauges. (No I'm not working for for them, I'm just passing the information along as in life, the right information at the right time is huge)

I have talked to Stefan and they are building the NS1 to work with GoTenna units so you would be able to "see" others in your party totally off grid. (Other systems still need the internet or cell service to get the location of other devices)

Here is the web site for the NS1 info

Here is the web site for GoTenna info. (I'll be asking Stefan more about which unit, and how many the NS1 will support at one time.)

I also have been talking to Beartooth and own 6 of them already. (So far these still need to be tied to your "smart phone" and do not "track" other users so you can "see" them on a map till they send you the location)

Note, I have a $10.00 discount code posted in my profile if you decide on Beartooth for your needs.

I have also found a company called Ping, seems they stopped taking orders at the moment but here is the site.

Why am I looking so hard to find offline tracking? On trail in groups I want to know where the front, back and perhaps a few riders in the middle are at. Would be great for the lead sled to just be able to glance down and "see" everyone is still there. Off trail is even more of a passion for a device, each rider could be on there own path but everyone "moving" the same direction without getting lost.

As these systems get built and progress I hope to be able to hand out a "simple" item to riders that they can just put in a pocket and "forget about it" till the end of the day. If they want to be able to see others then they could take that same device and "pair" it to a smart phone or other type screen. Tons of riders out there that do not have a "display" attached to the sled, digging in the pocket to power up and look a the smart phone is really not the best answer, but would still be better than nothing. The NS1 puts the display on your sled, keeps it powered up and lets you control what you are looking at.(Not to mention the gauge part of the system, but I'm just talking about the ability to track other riders...)

The device I'm looking for would need to be 100% "stand alone", power, GPS, and tie to a screen of some sort as needed if the user desires. (Also MUST be sending the location without the user needed to do anything at all other than turn it on at the start of the day.)

If you see a device like that please let me know!!!!

Here is to a great winter and great riding!! (Be safe an please, "Ride Right")

·
Registered
793 Posts
We just picked up some Garmin Rino's off ebay - we are looking forward to trying them out when we head west this winter. We have been using radios the last couple of trips, but being able to just see where people are on the gps will be nice!

The hard part of what you are looking for is the communication between devices. Anything smartphone based gets that for free through the phone, but won't work off grid. Anything not using cell network will require a full blown radio to communicate with the other devices. Since it has a radio already for data linking, it may as well include a voice connection. You just described the Rino...

dave

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yes, Rino is out there too. I should have added, and not spend $500.00 for each unit I hand out to track others!

Is this the unit you are talking about?

Info per the link,

Unique Position Reporting capability lets you send your exact location to other Rino users so they can see it on their map - perfect for group adventures.

Not sure that means we can always "see" them or just when they transmit.

Thanks for making sure I was aware of this type unit!

·
Registered
793 Posts
We picked up older versions for WAY less than that... You just have to keep your eyes open and you can find decent prices if you don't have to have the newest models.

We haven't played with them yet, but from what I understand you can set them up to keep track of each other.

It would be nice if garmin made a cheaper unit that would just report location to someone that has a full rino, let someone act as a mother-hen to a bunch of others! Maybe even have something that would act like a 'spot' device - press a 'help' button to alert the rinos it is connected with that you are in trouble.

dave

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right!!!

Let me know how the Rino works for the "tracking" part when you have the chance. (Winter is on the way, you better practice)

The correct product will come if we wait long enough, I'm done waiting and want to get "someone" to build this!!! :smile_old:

Need something like a "Hockey Puck", just with a "module" that inserts into the center. . .(What could be more "durable" than that!!!)

I'll keep looking. . .

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Mr someone, you got it built yet? Check your emails ttmustang, I ordered the NS1 this morning!

·
Registered
721 Posts
What would be really nice in addition to tracking riders in your group would be knowing a sled is coming at you. Ideally every sled would have a bluetooth beacon or something so you could see all sleds. How many times have you been the leader in a group and meet someone on a corner that is going way too fast on your side of the trail. I've had some close calls, would be nice if a light would flash on your dash or something.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Grip N Rip, your working that right? (I could not agree more!!!) Have to pass that on to the folks at Next Stage Gauge. (If we could just get the "trail permit" to send out the "broadcast freq" it would be easy to "See" sleds in front of you!) Really that is not too far off either, 900 MHz "ping" warning of a groomer, just "adjust" the ID for another sled in the area. . .(The trail sticker broadcasting, ok, that one is out there but not impossible to require new sleds at some date to have some form of "broadcast". Sleds are already $15,000.00, they don't have some system like this built in?)

While looking for more info on ADS-B out I found this,

The Rino 700 handheld navigator is expected to be available in August 2017 and will have a suggested retail price of $349.99. For more information, visit

Still looking. . .

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have two Raveon data radios that were developed for Baja racing so the support teams could see their race truck position. They are also used for school bus and taxi type applications so the dispatcher can see all the vehicles in a city. The have a radio antenna and a gps puck connected to them. It works similar to the Rino where they send the gps position to each other. They are timed so each one broadcasts it's signal at a specific time so they don't overlap. It used Murs frequencies and you can adjust how often it sends the position. I had them set to every two seconds so it was almost real time. The cool thing was the radio has an output that sends the position to your gps mounted on the dash as a waypoint so you can see the other sled you are riding with. It also has a proximity output/alarm and I had it setup so if the other sled was within a mile the led light on the dash would be green and if the sled got out of that circle it would turn to red. We used them in the Irondog race so the leader could concentrate on looking forward and the light would tell them if the sled behind stopped or got way behind. It was cool for the sled following because they could stay back out of the snowdust and see how far ahead the lead guy was and the lead guy could see the position of the guy behind. Worked really good on the rivers at high speed. They worked pretty good but if one would loose it's position from like trees it wouldn't work until it found itself again. The tech is out there just needs to be developed for certain applications.

I kind of like the tech used to control the drones, seems like it has quite the range and may work for seeing other sleds.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good conversation, I agree with technology already out there what we are talking about could already be "in the works" but need to get a "cattle prod" to get things moving? (Kidding, "voltage" never really gets good products out the door!)

I'm new to drones this year, blows my mind what the little thing will do at over a mile away! (You can't really let it be that far away, just saying it "can be" that far and farther but still work. The "APP" is what will give you grief, and that is why I'm looking for some "stand alone" item for this task)

I had thought about the "timing" issue you talked about, too many transmitters attempting to "talk" at once just = "noise". Within your group is easy to fix with "Parent Child or Hen and Chick" type equipment assignments. Groups meeting each other would be another level of that to over come but possible.

Just need to get to the correct person at the correct time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
What would be really nice in addition to tracking riders in your group would be knowing a sled is coming at you. Ideally every sled would have a bluetooth beacon or something so you could see all sleds. How many times have you been the leader in a group and meet someone on a corner that is going way too fast on your side of the trail. I've had some close calls, would be nice if a light would flash on your dash or something.
Overall this is a very interesting discussion. Personally I don't trail ride, but all back country mountain riding. As of current we run radios and GPS, and when luck have a cell signal. Overall, it works good, but we did lose 1 guy last year. He got stuck in a hole behind some tress completely out of view. We were lucky enough that we had a weak cell signal and able to have him drop a pin on his location.

In regards to what Grip n Rip is asking for on oncoming traffic, although possible; it poses a whole bunch of challenges. First, bluetooth, just doesn't have range needed (30'ish feet on average) so that is out. The 900 mHz frequency though has some potentials, but still range limited (I work with this frequency quite a bit). You could also look at RFID, which actually makes more sense (units like the tolling system uses). You couldn't do RFID in the "sticker" as that would just be a passive tag, and you would need a large and powerful antenna for any range. But if you could do an active tag, that may have merrit. Of course a sled would need both a tag (to transmit) and an antenna (to recieve) to actually make this work, and most likely wouldn't be cost effective, let alone getting people to adopt the technology.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Overall this is a very interesting discussion. Personally I don't trail ride, but all back country mountain riding. As of current we run radios and GPS, and when luck have a cell signal. Overall, it works good, but we did lose 1 guy last year. He got stuck in a hole behind some tress completely out of view. We were lucky enough that we had a weak cell signal and able to have him drop a pin on his location.

In regards to what Grip n Rip is asking for on oncoming traffic, although possible; it poses a whole bunch of challenges. First, bluetooth, just doesn't have range needed (30'ish feet on average) so that is out. The 900 mHz frequency though has some potentials, but still range limited (I work with this frequency quite a bit). You could also look at RFID, which actually makes more sense (units like the tolling system uses). You couldn't do RFID in the "sticker" as that would just be a passive tag, and you would need a large and powerful antenna for any range. But if you could do an active tag, that may have merrit. Of course a sled would need both a tag (to transmit) and an antenna (to recieve) to actually make this work, and most likely wouldn't be cost effective, let alone getting people to adopt the technology.
Funny how fast and how close folks can get "lost" in the trees! Our lead sled got just a little too far in front of the next sled once and dropped into a blow out around a tree. The next sled saw a sled sitting in the open unrelated to our group and thought, "He must have went in that direction". So we all stop and talk to her, she was looking for sleds in the group she was part of! Turns out her group was stuck in the trees just out of view above us. Our lead sled was stuck in the blow out just below us and we could not see or hear any of them!! (Our lead sled saw her sitting there just before he went into the trees, at that point he was attempting to figure out what she was doing rather then watching the snow changing in front of him!!!) In the end everything was fine, finally saw him chest high above the snow waving his arms. Nothing was blocking us from seeing him other than bright sun hitting all that white snow and he was in the shadow of the tree. (And suddenly only about 3 feet tall! :smile_old: )

1 - 20 of 92 Posts