Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two Grand Touring and both seem to have Hyfax wear issues. The 2020 with only 70 miles on it can't be run without the scratchers down. Other Gen 4 models in our group on the same ride

run without scratchers and do not have issues. Any input.

·
Super Moderator
29,336 Posts
^^^ This. They tend to wear quickly at first then virtually stop wearing.

My last sled had 3,558 miles on it when I traded it, original slides still on it, still in good shape.

Reactions: rockerdan

·
Registered
78 Posts
We have a 2017 GT SE. We get significant hyfax wear seasonally. I've had to put a new one on each of the last two seasons. Part of it is certainly the conditions we sled on - a fair amount of lake sledding. I also think the size and weight of the sled plays a role too. Finally, at least for us, the 900 Ace's ability to run cool in marginal conditions leads to me going out on it when my 2 2-strokes would otherwise overheat. I think that really adds to me burning through hyfax more often as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Agree with the wear for awhile then stop. I also agree with a track possibly being too tight. You could also go to sliders with the vespel inserts. They will run for many miles without any significant wear.

·
Registered
661 Posts
my XS chassis Grand Touring had the same issues. More than half worn at 1000 miles. When you are driving 4-8 hours to go sledding, you can't take a chance that they will "wear to a point and then be good" Tried the track tension loose and no difference. When compared to the guy I ride with on a Sidewinder, he had no issues with slider wear.

When I moved to the XS Enduro, I put Duponts on and scratchers. Its too bad that you have to add these, but for me it is a necessity

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have owned 4 900 ACE Grand Touring sleds. My latest is a 2019 Gen 4

A lot of sled tracks from the dealer setup is set too tight. That's okay for the slide burn in. Start slow for a few minutes then increase speed for a another few minutes. Do this several times then stop and let slides cool. You want to get them hot but not so hot that they stick to the snow. If they do stick and you can't move, Stop or you will burn a belt. Rock sled back and forth to free each track side. Do not use scratchers during this process, you want them to get hot so much you can smell the heat. Take sled back to work shop and raise the rear end. Loosen track so that there is about a one inch free sag. Make sure the track is aligned when tightening bolts.

If you smell the hyfax or they are so hot you sled is surging like track breaking. You must get to loose snow or use scratchers. Cable scratchers work good on hard pack, not so good on ice.

I always get over 4000 miles on a set of slides with Ski Doo. Only about 1000 on Yamaha's

Good luck,

Captain Marvel

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Run the hyfax in low snow conditions to get them hot then run out into soft snow and stop for a few minutes. This will temper the slides. Do this a few times to get them fully tempered. Or run GNR DuPont slides and don’t worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts