Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people with the 6.5hp engines are running for gearing? I have a 28T with the stock 10T drive sprocket in my sons mini. Seems to run ok but I was thinking of trying out the 32T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody???

mxzdoo2 said:
Just wondering what people with the 6.5hp engines are running for gearing? I have a 28T with the stock 10T drive sprocket in my sons mini. Seems to run ok but I was thinking of trying out the 32T.

[snapback]687140[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
If you go to the 32 tooth you will lose a little speed, but gain more low end with the stock 10T drive sprocket.

I would go with the 32T if the sled performs poorly on hilly ground or deep snow,If thats the reason you want to change gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I may try it to see what the difference is.

zx scott said:
If you go to the 32 tooth you will lose a little speed, but gain more low end with the stock 10T drive sprocket.

I would go with the 32T if the sled performs poorly on hilly ground or deep snow,If thats the reason you want to change gears.
[snapback]705412[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
I have a 6.5 in mine and running a 30 tooth. With chissels 1 every other bar it still breaks loose. I am having a 12 tooth front fabbed up for the front to replace the 10. It pulls the 30 way too easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My sons breaks loose with a 28 but it will not pull the skis off the ground

kragar100 said:
I have a 6.5 in mine and running a 30 tooth. With chissels 1 every other bar it still breaks loose. I am having a 12 tooth front fabbed up for the front to replace the 10. It pulls the 30 way too easy.
[snapback]737084[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
I just put a 12 tooth on the front and this thing is much much better. Runs well into the mid 20s and not a bit sluggish out of the whole. It cost me $3 for the gear and had a bud machine old 10 tooth off and weld on 12 tooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that thestock clutch? What all do you have done to your 200?

kragar100 said:
I just put a 12 tooth on the front and this thing is much much better. Runs well into the mid 20s and not a bit sluggish out of the whole. It cost me $3 for the gear and had a bud machine old 10 tooth off and weld on 12 tooth.
[snapback]739135[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
This is a 1998 mini with still the original clutch. Sled has a 6.5 hp motor which is a knock off motor from Princess Auto. All I did to the motor b4 installing was pull the valve cover off and reset the valves.
The stock clutch will come apart and the gear set is all one piece. I had it put in the lathe and turned the old gear off and the new one bought from farm supply for $3 had the exact same ID to fit over shaft. Then just welde new gear to gear assembly. When my 7 year old comes around a corner and gasses it....it will break lose and hang the back end out. Gearing now is 12/30. It will pull my 220lbs around in 10 inches of fresh snow and climb a 40ft hill with about a 35DEG incline.
If I was to put 2 studs every other bar, it would hang the skiis very easily. My son is only 50 lbs max.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am runnig the stock clutch with a 28T. Finally got it dialed in to run about 23-25. It is studded with two picks every other paddle. I don't think it would pull the skis even on a snow, hard packed street, however it does get up and go. I just put a pipe on it so it now sounds like it is really moving too. i thought about trying a 30T. Maybe next year. I did take a ring out of the clutch spring also as explained by Scott at rec mototr to increase engagement. I don't think it did anything except sometimes make the clutch stick and make the sled go by itself.



kragar100 said:
This is a 1998 mini with still the original clutch. Sled has a 6.5 hp motor which is a knock off motor from Princess Auto. All I did to the motor b4 installing was pull the valve cover off and reset the valves.
The stock clutch will come apart and the gear set is all one piece. I had it put in the lathe and turned the old gear off and the new one bought from farm supply for $3 had the exact same ID to fit over shaft. Then just welde new gear to gear assembly. When my 7 year old comes around a corner and gasses it....it will break lose and hang the back end out. Gearing now is 12/30. It will pull my 220lbs around in 10 inches of fresh snow and climb a 40ft hill with about a 35DEG incline.
If I was to put 2 studs every other bar, it would hang the skiis very easily. My son is only 50 lbs max.
[snapback]740954[/snapback]​
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top