Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2008 800 rev. Does case cover need to be removed to change oil or is there a drain plug. How much of a hassle to change? I haven't changed mine fot about 1k miles. Not sure how much that heavy lube breaks down.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the same question on a '13 Gade. Prior sleds were much easier with a drain plug and dipstick to refill. I thought taking the cover off was the only option, but just noticed it has a drain plug (although not at the bottom like older models). If I pull the drain plug, how do I refill it?? Probably a silly question, but I always get the best and quickest answers here! Thank you!

IMG_3081.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have the same question on a '13 Gade. Prior sleds were much easier with a drain plug and dipstick to refill. I thought taking the cover off was the only option, but just noticed it has a drain plug (although not at the bottom like older models). If I pull the drain plug, how do I refill it?? Probably a silly question, but I always get the best and quickest answers here! Thank you!

attachicon.gif
IMG_3081.
Manual is your friend

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Easy to do with basic tools, i also change mine at the end of the season before putting into storage so there is no water sitting in there for a long period of time.

The only advice i have for you is the first time you change the oil, retap the holes and replace the bolts... absolutely do NOT reuse the self tapping bolts that come from the factory, you will strip it out otherwise!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
attachicon.gif
IMG_3081.jpg
Thats not a drain, thats the fill level

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
got it, thank you all. X2 on the manual and I doo have one, but hadn't opened it in a while. My next question WAS going to be how to drain it easily from that fill level indicator. I love my skidoo's, and they make some things super easy compared to other brands, but I don't understand why they would change the simple drain plug in the bottom w/the dipstick the older models had. Also just learned the linq base plate to my fuel caddy is not sold separately, even though it has its own brp part number. Pretty annoying, but I'll get over it once the snow starts piling up!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I dislike the odd square headed plug.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I agree; I thought it would've made much more sense to use a hex pocket.

I forget the size, but a 12pt socket works fine on that plug.
I get it with a 6point socket too, forget the size, 9mm maybe?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
A 9/32 combination wrench also fits the inspection plug.

My preference is to remove the case cover to get all the sludge out. This is also a good opportunity to inspect the gears and chain. It's very easy to do, just be careful not to over tighten the case cover bolts. 10Nm is the spec. For these bolts. Here's the tightening sequence.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats not a drain, thats the fill level

very true, you have to remove the chain case cover, clean an drain the oil, check chain tension, bolt cover back on (dont over tighten the bolts or they will strip... trust me haha, that sucks), make sure plug is out at the bottom of the chain case, cause this is your fill level, remove rubber cap on top of oil chain case, start filling, watch the empty plug hole at the bottom of the chaincase, once oil comes out of it, its full. put plug in, put top rubber cap in, and your good to goo

·
Registered
623 Posts
very true, you have to remove the chain case cover, clean an drain the oil, check chain tension, bolt cover back on (dont over tighten the bolts or they will strip... trust me haha, that sucks), make sure plug is out at the bottom of the chain case, cause this is your fill level, remove rubber cap on top of oil chain case, start filling, watch the empty plug hole at the bottom of the chaincase, once oil comes out of it, its full. put plug in, put top rubber cap in, and your good to goo
I bought an 07 GSX. We changed the gear oil by removing the cover. Thought there we chunks of gear, but it turned out to be ice. Would not have know had I not removed the cover. Also, it is nice to check gears and chain tension from time to time. My 2 cent's.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Doesn't Doo sell chaincase fluid in a certain size bottle to work for your sled? If it requires 12 oz. then just pour the 12 oz. bottle in. Not sure how necessary to remove fill plug?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts