Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 19/43 with a 72 chain. If I go to a 20 on top, do I need a longer chain? I've looked thru specs and any stock setups that had bigger than a 19 on top had a 74 chain, but is it because it has to be, or because the stock 74 would allow for more gearing changes without changing the chain?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Yup, you will need to go to the 74 link chain. Like you said, it WILL allow for gearing selections on favor of top AND bottom end...

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm running 22/43 with the stock 74 link chain. Stock gearing for my sled is 24/43 with the 74 link chain. If I were you I would run the 72 link chain. It should be long enough for a 20 and a 21 on top with the 43 bottom. There is nothing wrong with a tight chain. If I drop another tooth on my sled I would get a 72 link because the 74 would have one hell of an angle in it. I'd would be willing to bet that your 20/43 set-up with a 74 link would max out the chain tension adjuster. You could run it like that but it just doesn't make sense. The more of an angle you have in the chain the more heat its gonna create.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. That's the ratio I want to try, but I don't want to get in the middle of a gear change and find myself with a chain that's too short. If I went 19/41, I'd have about the same ratio. Then my chain might be too long. Hmmm. Anybody else?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had to run a 72 on my 04 600HOX, the 74 was not tight with the tensioner all the way in, it would have been a wicked angle. The 72 fit snug, but it fit. I was running 20 43, very responsive with that gearing.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Winter, I think you just made my mind up for me. Thanks.
Now I've got a 'Part 2' question - Where did you get the 20? Did you use a Doo gear or aftermarket? I found a p/n for a 20 Doo gear, was quoted over $100 for it. He's checking it out some more and getting back to me tomorrow. Last time I got a Doo gear (1999), it was only $30something. I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ns503 said:
Hey Winter, I think you just made my mind up for me. Thanks.
Now I've got a 'Part 2' question - Where did you get the 20? Did you use a Doo gear or aftermarket? I found a p/n for a 20 Doo gear, was quoted over $100 for it. He's checking it out some more and getting back to me tomorrow. Last time I got a Doo gear (1999), it was only $30something. I think.
[snapback]292439[/snapback]​
I just bought a 20 tooth to make 20/43
only $35 cad.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that from the dealer? Wait, you've got an 800, I think your stuff is 13 wide? I need 11. I emailed Cudney on price, waiting for reply...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts