Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some posts lead me to believe a speedo & tach can be added to my '07 Freestyle. So, right or wrong, I purchased the gauges from a '06 GSX, and the speed pickup from another sled. But I'm having trouble finding a stand-alone wiring harness for the gauges. Can anybody tell me what I should be looking for in a used harness? I'm guessing I'd have to peel the necessary wires and discard the rest.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Sorry, but I'm still having trouble. As I mentioned, the speedometer (515 176 302) and tach (515 176 303), are from a '06 GSX so they're compatible with one another. The speedometer works, but the tips for recalibrating from 10 tooth drivers to 8 tooth don't seem to work. Also, there is a red warning light signifying the DESS has a problem (which the Freestyle doesn't have of course).

But my real concern is the tachometer doesn't work. I understand the speedo runs the tach, so am I looking at replacing both gauges, or shall I just try another tach (or a different one)?

edit...more research showed my gauge package came from a liquid cooled sled. The '06 GSX with the 550f has speedo ...301. I've tested the tach on a buddy's 550 Freestyle and it works, so I'm confident the correct speedometer will fix me up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you MXXXXX, this advice is great but I'm a little confused. I have a 2006 and 2007 Freestyle 300's. Do the speedo and tach part # from the Tundra or GSX? Also do I use the wiring harness from the freestyle 550? I didn't think the twin cylinders would work with a single cylinder sled.
Thanks again

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought a used 09 Tundra 300. The previous owner installed speedometer and tach because his kid wanted gauges. He had to get the wiring harness as well. Sorry I don't have the part number but it looks the same as on my 07 Freestyle Backcountry.

The tach broke (along with windshield and other parts due to getting whacked by tree branch.) I bought a tach on eBay and plugged it in. Works fine.

By the way, the Backcountry didn't come with a tach. I bought one on eBay and plugged it in. I think the same tach is used on all the 550F models of that vintage and it works on the 300 as well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
For some reason the 06 fan and water cooled speedometers are not the same speedometer, but 07 newer are the same, weird? I have just picked up 2 2006 Freestyles and one had speedometer kit installed, I can not read the harness part # but speedometer is 515176476 which is a 07 part # so I believe the harness # is 515176437, and tach would be 515176478 i will be adding tach and adding both to the 06 without either, also I will need 504152345 speed sensor. I believe all freestyles have later 07 rev split hood harness, and accessorie kit had 2007 stuff. I would go with all 07 stuff as the 06 does not split at the hood so you have to do the complete harness which was close to $173. and way more work. Now think you could use 07 harness and fan cooled 06 speedometer 515176301 and tach 515176303 which appears to be the same for both sleds? But I am not sure, but i would believe water cooled speedometer 515176302 will not work correctly? MXXXXX this may be your issue?
Also if any one has 07 gauges for sale I would be interested as this is not a cheap upgrade buying all new parts!
If any of this information is wrong I am sorry, I have spent a lot of time checking this out and this is my conclusion, just trying to help and believe this to be correct. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great info folks, thanks. So I ordered the speedo, tach and wiring harness for a 550 Park for my 300f. I will also need the speed sensor too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
MXXXXX, you have been a great help. I ordered the tach# 515176478, speedo# 515176476 and harness# 515176473 and hooked everything up and the tach does not work. Some of the background lights do though. Do you happen to have the part # on the tach you bought on Ebay? i am going to order speedo sensor now and try that to see if the speedo works. i understand this process is trial and error. Hopefully I'll get it working. You all have been great sources of info.

Thank you

T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts