Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will also be cross posting to Quebec Rider...

My group is doing a Gaspe trip this February as follows:

Riviere du Loup

Matane

Matane

Riviere- au- renard

Riviere- au- renard

Chandler

Through the mtns

Chandler

New Richmond

New Richmond

Amqui

Amqui

Riviere du Loup

Trying to figure out the best fuel options. I usually try to keep the stops somewhere between 80 and 120 miles if possible, no more than 140-150 though ( we carry about 12 extra gallons). The Quebec map is helpful in showing some stations, but in some areas it doesn't show much or too close or far from each other. Anyone does this trip that can share their experience?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Generally gas isn't a problem doing the Gaspe. Good your group has some spare gas but likely will never use it. There is several towns along the coast that have gas but don't show on the viaexplora map.
When you do the interior trails fill at Chandler, gas at Murdochville, after you leave Murdochville and go west on the orange Chic Choc trail gas at LaCache. It is the relais on 595. Have to go a few miles north of the trail junction. Gas there then gas New Richmond.
No gas in Mont St Piere, gas Mont Louis next town east
No gas in Perce Rock

When you are doing the coast line and see gas close to the trail stop and fill. Some of the towns are a few miles off the trail and you can lose fair bit of time going for gas.

The paper map is much more helpful than the computer map for fuel.
Summary gas isn't a real problem.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Fuel won't be much of an issue, especially if you are carrying gas on some of the sleds. We only were concerned once because we had a big snowfall just before we got there and rode ungroomed/mogul trails from Matane to Sainte Maxime du Mont-Louis. It was only because they hadn't marked the fuel stop and we missed the town of Sainte Anne des Monts. After that year I installed a GPS on the sled with all the Quebec and Ontario maps on it. Now I don't miss towns that aren't marked well.

We were relying on phones but the service was next to non existent in areas and we could load the maps to the working/non dead phones.

Reactions: budko and Fuse6

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Also you can get from Murdochville to New Richmond without a fuel stop in between. But if you plan on trying to play off trail then you better bring some. They had fresh snow and we rode on ungroomed trails from Murdochville to the 595. We didn't play off trail at all. That area I didn't have much left either when I got to New Richmond. A guy in our group on an Assault 800 put 42L in a 43.5L tank.

Reactions: budko and Fuse6

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have never experienced a gas problem in that area. As long as you have a sled that can go 100 miles fairly easily on a tank, you'll be fine. Then again, my protocol when riding in Canada is to start looking for a gas stop once the tank is below half. What can get challenging is the area between Matane and Rimouski with the snow drifts. If you get down into the Murdocville area, say hi to "Groomer", Jean Guy, from QR.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
When he's not in his "sports car" you may find Groomer here

01-116 CLUB DE MOTO-NEIGE LA COULÉE VERTE

314, St-Raphael Sud Albertville QC G0J 1A0
Contact person: Sylvain Thériault
Telephone: (418) 756-3611
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
213 Posts
When he's not in his "sports car" you may find Groomer here 01-116 CLUB DE MOTO-NEIGE LA COULÉE VERTE

314, St-Raphael Sud Albertville QC G0J 1A0
Contact person: Sylvain Thériault
Telephone: (418) 756-3611
Email: [email protected]
My bad. They were talking about Murdochville in the comments and got confused with Albertville. It always amazes me how some of you guys on QR remember every place you've been. I could do an 1800 mile week up there and forget the names of half the places I went to or through. Of course I can't remember anyone's name either!
Greasemonkey from QR.

·
Registered
257 Posts
FYI may want to fuel up before calling it a day some fuel places don't open until 8am Incase your a early riser

·
Registered
388 Posts
My bad. They were talking about Murdochville in the comments and got confused with Albertville. It always amazes me how some of you guys on QR remember every place you've been. I could do an 1800 mile week up there and forget the names of half the places I went to or through. Of course I can't remember anyone's name either!
Greasemonkey from QR.

Hi how are you doing? Any trips planned to Quebec?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi how are you doing? Any trips planned to Quebec?
I might have to skip this year. I had to have back surgery and I'm not sure how I will react riding those distances. I'm gonna try a couple of 3 day trips upstate NY to see how I feel then maybe hit Quebec late Feb/early Mar. fingers crossed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts