Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 ski doo tundra that I changed the drop tube going into the gas tank. The grommet that the barb 90 goes into was removed. Is there a trick on getting that back in ? My grommet is a little mangled now, are these grommets readily available? thanks for the help

·
Registered
182 Posts
The rubber grommet and elbow are sold separately. I just bought some from my local doo dealer. It cost me $22 for 2 grommets and 2 elbows and they had them in stock.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If from Ontario Royal Distributing sells both grommet and elbow together for $12 where ever your from there is still plenty of grommets out there

·
Registered
541 Posts
I found this tip on this forum somewhere. Put the pickup/filter on the fuel line (cut it extra long), dip the other end in 2-stroke oil and slide it through the grommet from the back side an inch or two. Put the elbow on the line on the oiled-up end of the fuel line and seat the grommet into the tank. Then push the elbow and fuel line through the grommet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the responses. As soon as I get another grommet, I'll try the 2 cycle oil or dawn. Is there a part number available for the grommet?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
thanks for the responses. As soon as I get another grommet, I'll try the 2 cycle oil or dawn. Is there a part number available for the grommet?
it doesn't matter what you use as long as it a lubricant WD-40, aerosol lube, dish soap just remember don't use a whole lot you don't want to contaminate the gas tank dish soap would be my last choice good choice but last choice i even used spit it will be tight putting it on patients you want it to be tight right

·
Registered
365 Posts
I found this tip on this forum somewhere. Put the pickup/filter on the fuel line (cut it extra long), dip the other end in 2-stroke oil and slide it through the grommet from the back side an inch or two. Put the elbow on the line on the oiled-up end of the fuel line and seat the grommet into the tank. Then push the elbow and fuel line through the grommet.
I didn't read that anywhere but I found this to be the easiest way after contemplating the situation for ten mins. Works like a charm. Use 2 stroke.oil as lube on all connections and good as gold.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the comments and advise. I picked up a grommet at the local car parts store. It is "prime line" brand, part number is 7-07461, it is called fuel tank bushing. The new bushing went in well. The old bushing is swelled up and would not go in but then again it is 28 years old.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just an FYI .... I recently had to repair the fuel level guage in an early '90's Skandic, the sort of guage that is pressed into the side of the fuel tank thru' a one piece grommet. Neither the grommet nor the guage are available any longer. To replace it I used two small grommets and two 90' elbows with a clear fuel line between them. The grommets are the same ones that were used in the Tecumseh snowblower fuel tanks. I used two Oregon grommets, part # 07-392 and two elbows, Oregon part # 07-390. These parts fit perfectly and were relatively inexpensive. Maybe the grommets would work in the OP's application?

just a thought ...

cheers

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts