Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a steal of a deal on a Garmin 2455 so i'm going to add GPS to my '15 Backcountry w/o Estart.

Purchased the garmin hard wire kit with an inline fuse. I know SkiDoo put an acc. plug behind the glove box on this machine, in theory i can just cut that plug off and wire my garmin wire harness into that? Seems to simple, or am i missing something here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Either that or tap into the heated shield plug wires......they may be the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has the accessory power situation been changed on the '15s?

With my '11 (and most E-Tec's I thought) the voltage is cut below ~1500 RPM to keep juice to the injectors.

Due to this, when I tried wiring my nuvi the way you described it "lost power" every time I came below ~1500 RPM and it went into shutdown mode.

I ended up wiring up an external USB battery to run the GPS, works well and lasts all day long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The situation remains the same with losing 12v at idle. The gps i've purchased has a battery with it which will run it when it loses power. When i rip the slid apart i'm going to see if i can find a constant 12v.

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
My 15 I plug my Nuvi into the Cig plug and when I fire up the sled the GPS comes on automatically. That lead me to believe it's getting juice. Now mine is also E start so maybe that has something to do with it. I shut the sled down and it cuts power and asks if I want to continue using it powered by the garmin gps battery.

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Got a steal of a deal on a Garmin 2455 so i'm going to add GPS to my '15 Backcountry w/o Estart.

Purchased the garmin hard wire kit with an inline fuse. I know SkiDoo put an acc. plug behind the glove box on this machine, in theory i can just cut that plug off and wire my garmin wire harness into that? Seems to simple, or am i missing something here.

Thanks!
Be careful doing this. I'm not familiar with the 2455 but on my 750 and other Garmin's I've played with they do trickery with their power cords. For example you can not use a regular mini USB power cord to run your garmin in navigation mode it puts it into data mode. They short out their ID pin on the mini usb to the ground pin to make the GPS go into navigation mode. Only problem is no regular USB to mini USB cord has the ID pin in them. If you are talking about cutting the cig plug that came with the GPS I have no idea how many wires are in there but I'd make sure you cut the wire far enough back from the cig plug so you can put it back together in case they do trickery in that cord too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Really no need to cut into wire harness. Use a "Add A Circuit" device like this one --> http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA200BP-ATO-Add-A-Circuit-Kit/dp/B0002BGELQ

I picked one up from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Pull the main fuse found on the right side by the muffler, insert this, reinsert your main fuse, add an appropriate fuse for the new circuit, attach your cable.

We ran the wires down along the steering post, pulled it over the top of the oil tank, and continued to follow the wire harness down. Tywrap as much loose wire as possible to eliminate any wire vibration. It will only lead to wire fatigue and power issues.

I did this on mine (with e-start) and my buddy did the same on his (without e-start). I was concerned that the plug would wiggle loose, but I rode for 2 years with this setup and never had any issues with it coming loose.

I believe that as soon as you cut an end off or cut into the wire harness, your asking for trouble. Sled is still in stock shape.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My 15 I plug my Nuvi into the Cig plug and when I fire up the sled the GPS comes on automatically. That lead me to believe it's getting juice. Now mine is also E start so maybe that has something to do with it. I shut the sled down and it cuts power and asks if I want to continue using it powered by the garmin gps battery.
And you're happy with this setup as opposed to hardwiring the GPS into the battery? I was thinking about just using the cig plug as well as I'm not mechanically inclined enough to hard wire it in. Any pics of your setup? do you have the Cig plug in glove box or console?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I plug mine into Cig plug in glove box and I feel it's the easiest way to do it. Of course I'm not sure if there is power to the Cig plug at idle on a non elec start machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts