Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://bangordailynews.com/2016/02/11/business/gps-firm-garmin-to-buy-iconic-maine-mapmaker-delorme/?ref=comments

For years, well before GPS, the DeLorme Gazetteer was the off road bible for Maine, and I still use the book. I do find a lot of discrepancies between my Garmin GPS maps and the DeLorme (DeLorme usually being more correct). I try to transpose my GPS tracks onto the hard copy of the gazetteer for quick reference and ability to see the "big picture" easier.

I hope this merger results in the maps agreeing more closely.

Anybody else cross reference the two formats??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting. Delorme gazetteer's are great. Have both NH and ME. They had some great ideas in their GPS, but the tiny screens are very limiting.

Garmin will benefit from their mapping, and maybe the combined company can come up with some better hardware.

Sure hope doesn't foul up this great little company!

In-reach is a cool competitor to spot, but a bit pricey for most.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
They better not screw up the Gazetteer, and I hope that the Delorme Topo 9/10 mapping makes it way into a larger screen device. The Garmin mapping is based on the old USGS stuff I believe, and is laughable at best for Maine backcountry riding IMO compared to the Delorme stuff.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I heard that the Gazetteer will no longer be available after the buyout.....that sux......I use mine frequently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts