Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems crazy to me that I purchase this model and it doesn't have the ability to find street addresses, do I really have to purchase additional maps to get this function?

·
Registered
386 Posts
The "T" model includes topo maps, typically they do not include addresses since they are geared for off-highway use. Should be able to search for points of interest and other items.

To do regular road routing, like with a car unit, Garmin usually recommends their City Navigator map which has all of the highways/roads, addresses, points of interest and etc. For the cost of those maps, you can usually get a regular car unit (Garmin Nuvi) for less which will have those maps built-in.

If you have 3rd party snowmobile trail maps in your GPS, they typically do not have address information in them (trails usually don't have addresses associated with them). However you can still route with them by browsing the map and pointing at the destination or searching for points of interest (food/motel) and using them as the destination.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to route using an address for a cabin. I know it will find POI like gas and resturants, was hoping for the next step.

Using VVmapping.

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is not a sled map, most sled maps don't have street addresses included as most trails aren't near or on many streets. If you want a street address routable map, check this out:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

You can choose the region you want. Read the directions, it's not one click, but it works.

Here is the other thread about this subject:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1146257-free-routable-street-map-for-your-gps/

Or, if you can't figure this out, you can always pay for a Garmin street map.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to route using an address for a cabin. I know it will find POI like gas and resturants, was hoping for the next step.

Using VVmapping.
No addresses in VVMapping. Would have to manually enter coordinates or browse the map and point at the destination. Could look up the location on Google maps and then type in the coordinates from there into the GPS as a destination. Probably pretty tedious to go that route though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ImRich, I will check that out.

2TrakR - That's how I was starting and you're right, kind of a pain.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You could use one of the auto road maps that I provided the link to, enable that map, create a way point on top of the cabin your are tying to find using the street address, then disable the auto map, and enable the sled map, and then have it navigate to that waypoint via the trails map.

This wouldn't be too much work and you wouldn't have to manually enter coordinates (risking typos, etc).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts