Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to cover the garage concrete, Have read no good things about epoxy, Thinking about snap together tiles. How do they hold up when you run a sled over them? any big scratches, tears or come apart? Any good recommendations? Also one garage is heated, and the shop is not heated yet would cold weather have any effects on them? In Alaska have lots of cold weather.....

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have epoxy and love it. If you are going to do it, you HAVE to get the good stuff - polyaspartic. The junk you get at the hardware store will not last. It is also spendy - expensive enough to have someone else do it so it is done right. They ground off about 1/8 inch off the concrete, then put down 3 coats. Still holding up perfectly.

However, it is basically a plastic coating over the concrete. If you drive a sled with carbides and/or studs over it you WILL damage it. Not made to hold up to that. You may be better off with the snap tiles if you plan on riding sleds over it...

dave

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
75,139 Posts
I used to install epoxy flooring for a couple of big companies such as Selby and StoneHard.

100% of the failure rate is from poor prep work to the sub-straight (the floor you are covering) You need to remove the glossy finish and using acid to do it not only does not etch it well enough to hold the covering. It also never gets rinsed enough and will leave a residue that is prone to failure.

The only way to do it right is to remove the very top layer and vac it well to remove all the dust. Once you make a good profile that is clean and is dry on application most all products will get great adhesion and serve you well.

·
Ukranian Mafia
5,539 Posts
I'll be following this. I had a slab poured for my shop in June and within a couple of weeks the top face started to spall. I attribute it to lightweight aggregate. Both the concrete supplier and finisher have offered to epoxy the surface to rid the slab of further pops/spalls. They are trying to convince me that all you nee dto do is roll on the coating. I don't believe I'll have good adhesion without either bushhammering or planing the slab to remove the flakey coat and roughen it up. We did some compression test and the remainder of the slab is good 35MPa crete.

Looking to use a product called EnviroEpoxy.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
75,139 Posts
You are right in worrying about the failing preexisting surface. They "milked" it too much and maybe even added standing water to work it because it was curing too fast. Was it hot the day they poured it, or did it rain shortly after they bull floated it? They could of even poured it too wet to make it easier to work/screed it.

Yes, a quick scarify job or deck scaler should be used but it will leave a rough surface. We always used a "blasttrac" but that ain't just something most people can get their hands on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts