Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this question comes up about once a year and I'm just curious once again what people think the future holds for the design of the snowmobile.

I know there are a lot of wants, things like better gauges, LED lights, more power etc, but I'm thinking about innovations, like the Rev's rider forward design.

What do you think will be the next big breakthrough in design?

·
Registered
752 Posts
One word. ELECTRIC!!!

For better or for worse, the future in my opinion will be electric. No time soon, but if this sport is to be sustainable in the long term, it is going to have to go green.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
gotta get a more efficient power transfer, what good is the power in the engine if only 75% of it or so makes it to the track? engine could be smaller, lighter, and still net the same power at the track. gas engine, generator, to motor in the track.

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,567 Posts
Engine under the seat..
Inside skid
Direct drive to rear axle
Track spins around it all
Lighter weight parts

Not available in black

Not electric

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,071 Posts
gotta get a more efficient power transfer, what good is the power in the engine if only 75% of it or so makes it to the track? engine could be smaller, lighter, and still net the same power at the track. gas engine, generator, to motor in the track.
We would be in great shape if 75% made it to the track.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
More upright....almost standing. An enclosed cab option.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
Scissor lift skid for trenching

·
On Thin Ice with Steve
35,748 Posts
Leaf springs on the skis

Engine just in front of the seat

Some sort of wheels in place of the slide rail suspension with each set of wheels having a torsion spring to soften the ride

Incandescent headlights

Sent from my iPhone three days ago

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Smaller 4 stroke engines with better turbos. WAY more use of lightweight materials.

Carbon fiber is dirt cheap now. Get with the program and start using it extensively.
140HP 4 stroke sleds weighing 475 pounds max is easily doable.
If you don't think this is probable, just look at the automotive industry and what they are doing. Same principal across every manufacturer.

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,071 Posts
Leaf springs on the skis

Engine just in front of the seat

Some sort of wheels in place of the slide rail suspension with each set of wheels having a torsion spring to soften the ride

Incandescent headlights

Sent from my iPhone three days ago
Incandescent headlights? That might be an improvement.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Rear drive, rear engine? Back in the mid-eighties saw these on the trail at night in the Valcourt area. There was a group of 8-10 sleds stoppped on the trail. As we slowly rode by these two were in the middle of the group. Look at the pictures closely, there are differences.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Electric drive could greatly increase efficiency. It could result in 75% to the track, but it could also drastically increase weight and especially unsprung weight if not done right. Rear engine might help with efficiency and make the steering nice an light like people claim they always want.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts