Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in almost 1000 miles I experienced some head shake with the TS skis yesterday. Up until now they have been almost perfect but yesterday the sled wanted to make sharp quick movements in certain snow conditions. Turning the carbides to 1 helped but didn't stop the movement completely. It seemed very aggressive, not a true darting but a mini dart if you will. The trails at camp were hard and thin with lots of ski marks. When I got into better snow it seemed to go away. Last night I got a call from my neighbor who purchased a 1200 enduro two weeks ago and he experienced the same mini dart and was wondering what he could do to about it . we are both running the 5 inch carbides. I guess I spoke to soon on how good these skis are. They are good but not perfect. Cant run any less carbide showing so I guess I will have to live with this in those conditions, which are less than great for sure.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
Not sure where your suspension settings are but you might add a little more preload to your center shock to start.

-grover

Reactions: bradb

·
Registered
183 Posts
What setting do you have your air shock set at? On my hubby's if it set at 4 or 5 it is pretty aggressive on hard pack. Try running the air shock set at 1 or 2. The higher the number the more bite on the skis.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
For the first time in almost 1000 miles I experienced some head shake with the TS skis yesterday. Up until now they have been almost perfect but yesterday the sled wanted to make sharp quick movements in certain snow conditions. Turning the carbides to 1 helped but didn't stop the movement completely. It seemed very aggressive, not a true darting but a mini dart if you will. The trails at camp were hard and thin with lots of ski marks. When I got into better snow it seemed to go away. Last night I got a call from my neighbor who purchased a 1200 enduro two weeks ago and he experienced the same mini dart and was wondering what he could do to about it . we are both running the 5 inch carbides. I guess I spoke to soon on how good these skis are. They are good but not perfect. Cant run any less carbide showing so I guess I will have to live with this in those conditions, which are less than great for sure.
There is no perfect ski, snow conditions vary too much.

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
If it is too aggressive or too darty.

Check and make sure no bends in the carbides. Check to make sure you have a bit of toe out, 1/4".

If you have too much steering for your conditions with the carbides backed all the way out, you can make a few suspension adjustments that will help.

Back the ski shock pre-load off a bit, add in a bit of center shock pre-load, turn your rear couplers down a notch.

Shim the skis can help too.

For me this ski has been the best I have ever ridden, and I have a shed full of them.

Reactions: izey91

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
As mentioned, no ski setup is perfect. In hard darty conditions try to lighten your ski pressure.

Softening your front ski springs, tightening your center shock spring, or softening your rear rear... That would be fastest if you have the air ride

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Check all front suspension bolts/fasteners to make sure everything is tight. extra movement in the a arms and spindles will cause the steering to be twitchy

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I got to put a bunch of miles on a enduro today with the ts skis on it, what an amazing sled! I wish i would have gotten the enduro, with the ts skis and the air shock imo it was the perfect sled! I liked the skis so much i saw a set in the classifieds so i grabbed them, cant wait to put them on my sled!!

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
I got to put a bunch of miles on a enduro today with the ts skis on it, what an amazing sled! I wish i would have gotten the enduro, with the ts skis and the air shock imo it was the perfect sled! I liked the skis so much i saw a set in the classifieds so i grabbed them, cant wait to put them on my sled!!
Did you find they pushed? Our blizzard has the TS skis and even with the 7" carbides and max adjustment the sleds pushes considerably more then mine with pilot R skis and shapers.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Did you find they pushed? Our blizzard has the TS skis and even with the 7" carbides and max adjustment the sleds pushes considerably more then mine with pilot R skis and shapers.
I could make it push but all i had to do was add air to the rear shock which would raise the rear ride height and the push would go away. Id say the rear is a little low on that sled

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
I could make it push but all i had to do was add air to the rear shock which would raise the rear ride height and the push would go away. Id say the rear is a little low on that sled
Yea I need more ski pressure, made some adjustments on it but not much of any snow to ride right now to try it out.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Running my fronts on 1 all day, and 8-3/4" center spring.....ultra light steering with the 6.9s and 5" extremes in center. Will go up to #2 on fronts to bring it close to where I ran my etec, but man im loving it.

Id really love to give those TS skis a test and hope to this winter...but I feel like I know how to dial the pilots in so well now for my liking, hate to start over.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
TS feedback

First-time last week on my Skidoo Grand Touring SE 2016 1200. (only one modification on the sled: swap track for an Ice Attack)

I'm used to AC and Yam, either fitted with after market carbine: like Woody's duely, Cobra Head or Snowtracker.

After 4 hrs of testing, one setting after an other, back and forth on the same 16 miles strech (a full day dedicated for testing those TS/ for a total of 110 miles)...

My conclusions for TS and a 2016 GT SE 1200: best results where achived with: preload at 1, central air set at 3 or 4, front susp. at medium, TS at 3 or 4.

However: Could not get rid of darting, still pushing in curves, don't feel so much in control in tight turn...

The only situation where darting disappeared: with speed over 40 mph (you don't have time to slip into other's tracks...)

Pushing/ sliding while steering in curves: not so bad with pack up snow at around 30mph with max carbine out (at position 5).

Conclusion: super great machine overall, splendid 1200, love the new throttle, love the comfort and ergonomic of the seat, wow for the silent drive track...

But I'm not willing to fiddle again for a full day to find the magic set up. The front suspension RAS2 and the air ride are fabulous pieces of high tech, I don't think it's fair to make all the ajustment in regard for those TS, that would be BS?!?

Spending: just order a pair of Aggressif Snowtracker made for TS

GTSE2016 small file.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you check if your ski have been install on a good side . A little trick just go beside your sled and you should be able to read Pilot ts normally on your skis, if these words are flip they have been install on wrong side

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I've spent quite a bit of time fiddling and tuning the TS skis. For my 129 1200x, I have the front shocks set at 1.5, dampening set at 9 clicks from soft and have been adjusting my carbides from 2-4 based on conditions. I get a little bit of push in corners unless I really crank them up but its completely manageable and I have not experience any darting. If you are experiencing darting, its a high possibility that you don't have enough pre-load on the front shocks. I find the smallest adjustments actually do make quite a difference up front. When I softened up the front shocks to 1, I did get a 'mini-darting like feel' where the sled wanted to get away from you. Best way to describe it is a 'twitchy' feeling. Try adding a bit more pre-load and I think you will be happy. Check your ski alignment just to be safe as well.

For majority of the guys out there who are like me (moderate riding style), the TS setup is great. For the guys that are super aggressive - they may feel like they need more, in which case the standard pilots with the dual carbide configuration will likely be your choice. I am curious to know if additional carbide/wear bar could be added to outside of TS skis - that's a next possible test for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I took my sled in for the first service it was a different dealer then I bought the sled from and they noticed that the carbides were installed backwards. It caused the roll pins to break/split as well the carbide was jammed and stuck in the ski, not being able to be adjusted. You might want to check that the carbide was installed correctly as well check the roll pins for damage if they were not installed correctly. I did have to replace the carbides at my dealers expense due to damage.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I know 2 guys who ride aggressive and both are removing the ts skis from there 2016s. They call them junk. Too much push is what they say

1 - 20 of 24 Posts