Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow sledders. Up here in Saskatchewan we just got dumped on, about another foot of the white stuff fell! Makes for about two-three feet total...pretty good for these parts.(no lake effect)

With all this snow I've decided to Spring-Check my first sled this April. The question I have is I want something that I can keep for many years (5-10), but has to be functional.

Most riding here is busting through fields and kinda makin your own trail, although there is some good trail to be had.

My options are...

1) 500ss Adrenaline with the 1.25" lug and electric start----comes to $11000 otd.

2) 600ho carb. Renegade with the 1.25 and elec. start----comes to $11512 otd.

3) 600ho sdi Renegade with the 1.25 and elec. start----comes to $12 540 otd.

Again my primary concern is longevity. If I knew the 600ho sdi would hold up I would go with that. (Maybe the 06's will be better).

I need input from more experienced riders and owners of the above mentioned sleds. Since this is my first purchase I don't want a sour taste in my mouth if something goes wrong because I didn't do my homework.

I know the 500ss gets great gas milage but what about the 600ho and the sdi version how do they compare?

Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
walleyeman said:
Hey there fellow sledders. Up here in Saskatchewan we just got dumped on, about another foot of the white stuff fell! Makes for about two-three feet total...pretty good for these parts.(no lake effect)

With all this snow I've decided to Spring-Check my first sled this April. The question I have is I want something that I can keep for many years (5-10), but has to be functional.

Most riding here is busting through fields and kinda makin your own trail, although there is some good trail to be had.

My options are...

1) 500ss Adrenaline with the 1.25" lug and electric start----comes to $11000 otd.

2) 600ho carb. Renegade with the 1.25 and elec. start----comes to $11512 otd.

3) 600ho sdi Renegade with the 1.25 and elec. start----comes to $12 540 otd.

Again my primary concern is longevity. If I knew the 600ho sdi would hold up I would go with that. (Maybe the 06's will be better).

I need input from more experienced riders and owners of the above mentioned sleds. Since this is my first purchase I don't want a sour taste in my mouth if something goes wrong because I didn't do my homework.

I know the 500ss gets great gas milage but what about the 600ho and the sdi version how do they compare?

Thanks for the input!!

[snapback]302081[/snapback]​
I have had three 600 HO carbed rev's and one 600 SDI. They are all good sleds. I know many people with a 500ss, they are awesome too. You need to realize that they all can crap out. If you are planning are running in fresh snow alot and making your own trails you should go with a longer track, like gage has, but you should consider an 800 motor. The 6's work good but in fresh snow you end up holding it to the bar alot. I would suggest either a 600 SDI or 800 renagade.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Too me the choice is between the 500ss and the SDI. My SDI has been running great so far -- 752 miles with 18-21+ mpg -- not a speck of trouble -- buddy has same sled and he has had no problems either.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My 600 SDI has been perfect since my dealer made one simple adjustment to the oil injectors. This was an adjustment that would have been made after break-in anyhow. I fouled three sets of plugs during my break-in (270 miles) and my dealer covered them. Over the last 270 miles I have not fouled any plugs and I'm getting that feeling of invulnerability about my sled that gives me a peace of mind.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Down here by Humboldt we got a good foot of the white stuff too. Glad to hear you got snow. Talked to friends in Debden who said the snowmobiling was the [email protected]#ts, warm temps took snow down to zero in spots. Want to go sledding in Debden, Big River area later this month, never been there before, will go for sure after this dump.
I drive a 600 HO carb renegade, and I find it to be a reliable sled. I weigh at least 250 with all my gear, and I am averaging 12 mpg driving pretty hard. Driving less than 50 mph with this sled is boring, effortless. Have recently changed mains to 370, and moved the shims on my needles, changed my ps to 200/320. Havn't rode yet, can't wait to bust up all the new white stuff. Buddy was the identical sled, still stock, anxious to see difference.
I mentioned this in an earlier post, and seem to gotten my pee-pee slapped, but here I go again. Got this info from TMR by Aberdeen. I, like yourself keep my sleds for many years. My second sled is a 97 F III that I bought new, still looks and drives like new. Tony told me if you trade your sleds regularily, go SDI. If you keep your sled past termination of warranty, go carb. SDI is a work in progress, many mapping changes, etc. Probably will come out with direct injection soon, since it's in watercrafts already. What happens when your SDI goes south past warranty, how many $$$ to fix ? Carbed sleds are fixable.
BTW, those prices you quoted are
. A friend of mine sold his sled on e-bay and is in the process of buying a rev, either adrenalin or renegade. He priced out an 800 renegade, electric start, new, for less $$$. Find dealers are pretty agressive this time of year with the 06's soon to arrive, like to move their old stock. Why pay interest all summer, rather take a lesser thump up front, than sell it as a noncurrent next year.
Have fun in all that snow

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tough call, cuz I think the 500 is more reliable, but the 05 600s don't seem to be near as bad as the 03-04s. I'd get the renegade if you will be doing any powder riding hands down. I own one here in flatland no snow MN, and I'd buy it again. And to be real honest with you I'd buy a Yamaha 4 stroke for the kind of longevity your looking for. They're releasing the 06s at 2pm central on their website.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally agree that the 500ss is one great power plant. Too bad it was not offered in the renegade package then my decision would be done.

Looks as though quite a few people have had good experiences on the 600ho SDI. I know there are some that have gone through hell and back,(Yellowknife and others), but maybe it looks like BRP has got the ship alligned. I really love the gas mileage on them!

Well heres to a better batch of 600ho SDI's!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wouldn't consider a 600HO. I rode with 2 all this weekend. What a dissappointment. Major Gas HOGS!!!!!!! And on the trail they didnt have anywhere near the mid range performance mine did. And that was the same things they said to me too!! The SDI is prolly a different story. But the Carb HO is not worth the $$$$

So I would go 500SS or if the have the money and need a GADE, go with the SDI gade.

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
cgjarvis said:
I wouldn't consider a 600HO. I rode with 2 all this weekend. What a dissappointment. Major Gas HOGS!!!!!!! And on the trail they didnt have anywhere near the mid range performance mine did. And that was the same things they said to me too!! The SDI is prolly a different story. But the Carb HO is not worth the $$$$

So I would go 500SS or if the have the money and need a GADE, go with the SDI gade.

Chris
When you say gas hogs, what do you mean? Under 10 mpg?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
walleyeman said:
yeller said:
The 500 ss has plenty of power and is reliable. That's my suggestion.
[snapback]302289[/snapback]​
Your point is dooley noted, but how would the 500ss with a 1.25" track handle the deeper stuff off trail? Say like 2-3 foot of the white gold.

[snapback]303786[/snapback]​
In my opinion it has enough power to handle deeper snow with a 1.25 track. If you've ever ridden one you would be convinced. They have alot of torque. I would not be worried hiting the deeper stuff if I had the 1.25 inch track. As for gas mileage, I get 21-23 mpg (Cdn gallons that is). It is very good on gas.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ELC00645 said:
I own a 2004 500 SS and it SUCKS gas 10-11 mpg imperial. Go SDI and you'll be happier.
[snapback]304059[/snapback]​
Seems to me that you might need to adjust it. Looks as though most are getting somewhere between 18-22 mpg (Imp). This is just from reading posts on this topic on this site.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
saskrev said:
Down here by Humboldt we got a good foot of the white stuff too. Glad to hear you got snow. Talked to friends in Debden who said the snowmobiling was the [email protected]#ts, warm temps took snow down to zero in spots. Want to go sledding in Debden, Big River area later this month, never been there before, will go for sure after this dump.
I drive a 600 HO carb renegade, and I find it to be a reliable sled. I weigh at least 250 with all my gear, and I am averaging 12 mpg driving pretty hard. Driving less than 50 mph with this sled is boring, effortless. Have recently changed mains to 370, and moved the shims on my needles, changed my ps to 200/320. Havn't rode yet, can't wait to bust up all the new white stuff. Buddy was the identical sled, still stock, anxious to see difference.
I mentioned this in an earlier post, and seem to gotten my pee-pee slapped, but here I go again. Got this info from TMR by Aberdeen. I, like yourself keep my sleds for many years. My second sled is a 97 F III that I bought new, still looks and drives like new. Tony told me if you trade your sleds regularily, go SDI. If you keep your sled past termination of warranty, go carb. SDI is a work in progress, many mapping changes, etc. Probably will come out with direct injection soon, since it's in watercrafts already. What happens when your SDI goes south past warranty, how many $$$ to fix ? Carbed sleds are fixable.
BTW, those prices you quoted are
. A friend of mine sold his sled on e-bay and is in the process of buying a rev, either adrenalin or renegade. He priced out an 800 renegade, electric start, new, for less $$$. Find dealers are pretty agressive this time of year with the 06's soon to arrive, like to move their old stock. Why pay interest all summer, rather take a lesser thump up front, than sell it as a noncurrent next year.
Have fun in all that snow

[snapback]302514[/snapback]​
Thanks saskrev. Good to see that fellow Saskatchwanites are on Dootalk and contributing. Your point about fixability is a good one, especially if I am going to keep it for a lengthy time.

Do you think that I can get better gas mileage if I am careful on the throttle?
I was hoping to get 15 mpg (imp). This way I would not have to carry extra fuel on those long ice fishing adventures. If this can be done on a CARB version of the 600ho then that is the way I'll go, if it canit then I'll have to go the Ren. SDI route or the 500ss route with the 1.25" track.

Either way I'll be riding a...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wouldn't count on being easy on the throttle with any rev you get. They are such a fantastic riding machine, you will have the throttle to the bar lots. Made a ride from my place to kipabiskau lake (return 231 kms) on groomed trails most of the way with my buddy who drives a 700 xc. We drive briskly, but are by no means morons on the trails. A sucessful ride means putting the sleds back in the shop the same way we took them out. We stopped in Pleasantdale to warm up, and a could see he wasn't happy. I guess I was riding too fast for him. I switched sleds with him and told him to drive my sled the way he feels comfortable. Well, he was gone. I had to keep my eyes on my fries just to reel him in, driving on the edge ( no pun intended). I seen his point, he seen mine. Had to slow down. He's buying a rev this week.
Anyways, back to mileage. I don't think you will see 15 mpg with the HO carb. When I ride with my buddies, 6,7,800 polaris xp's, i'm taking LESS fuel than them! Go figure! I have the ski-doo jerry can that straps behind the seat. I can do 95 miles before I use the can. Can gives me an extra 12 liters. It sucks they have such a small tank on the rev. If mileage is an issue, go SDI. Maybe they have the bugs out of it, and it will be reliable. I'm just a cheap dirt farmer that likes to fix stuff myself. I know carbs. If SDI gets you past 100 mile range comfortably, go for it. I would go renegade again if I got another sled. Awesome, awesome ride. You will like whatever you get.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
butcher said:
I would go with the sdi. But,i would wait and get a 2006.I would hope BRP will have ALL bugs worked out.There are still some issues with the 2005's
[snapback]304438[/snapback]​
Definately waiting for the 2006's...going to spring check actually. I wonder what type of incentives BRP is going to offer. Yamaha has $800 in yamabucks plus no downpayment plus zreo interest until March 2006!

When you spring check how much of a downpayment is usually required, if at all, and when would you have to start paying for the sled if there was no incentive?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.