Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to start my 97 formula 500 DLX for awhile. I just replaced the primer pump and now can start it with the primer. I also pulled the fuel pump and went through it. It looks fine to me but I ordered another one on amazon because they are like $35. However, it won't be delivered for 2 weeks. I'm wondering if the fuel pump can run if there is no fuel in the lines. Like I said I can start it with the primer and I thought this would trigger the fuel pump to pull the fuel into the lines but it's not working. I'm wondering if this is because the lines are empty and the pump can't function or if there is just a problem with the pump. I checked all the lines, etc and they seem to be functioning.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have fuel in the tank, no leak and the line aren't blocked, the fuel pump should bring fuel to the carbs. The pump will work even if the fuel line are empty. It can have a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm or another type of air leak. Maybe a clogged fuel filter ? It would lead to the fuel not reaching the pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. The lines seem ok. The filter is in the fuel tank. I took that out and cleaned it. I removed the fuel pump and took it apart. Nothing seemed obviously wrong with it. I did get a refurbish kit. What about the vacuum line, how do I check that? Looking at the line it looks fine. What does it connect into?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am I connecting the fuel pump correctly? I have the two lines going out to the carbs, than on the same section of the pump I have the fuel in. The vacuum line is hooked to the port coming out of the raised section in the middle. If that is all set i guess the issue is the vacuum, how does the vacuum system work on these sleds and what should I check out?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your fuel pump seems to be connected correctly. The pulse line connect to the bottom of the engine.It's just a vaccum line, there's not many test you can do.You could just replace it with a new one. If I remember correctly the pump take the vaccum from the rotation of the crankshaft. You can do a simple test to see if the fuel reach the carbs ; unhook both line at the carbs, put them in a container to catch the fuel and crank it. You'll know if your fuel pump work correctly. If the diaphragm in the fuel pump is broken, it can suck fuel from the vaccum line and flood the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your fuel pump seems to be connected correctly. The pulse line connect to the bottom of the engine.It's just a vaccum line, there's not many test you can do.You could just replace it with a new one. If I remember correctly the pump take the vaccum from the rotation of the crankshaft. You can do a simple test to see if the fuel reach the carbs ; unhook both line at the carbs, put them in a container to catch the fuel and crank it. You'll know if your fuel pump work correctly. If the diaphragm in the fuel pump is broken, it can suck fuel from the vaccum line and flood the engine.
Thx I did unhook one fuel line to the carb and try running and no fuel came out. Do I need to unhook both lines?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts