Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
There is other places to get gas. Kanwanta has gas. Matawan also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya....but heading to Kanawata for the night, getting gas at Mattawin on the way up and the next gas stop is Repos before hitting Kanawata......236km between Mattawin and Kanawata so rather grab gas at Repo......or go out of the way and get gas at Manawan!

· Registered
1,291 Posts
I’ll try and contact lac repo tonight

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Caterpillar uses 2 micron filters on their engines, maybe worth filtering our pails through one
That 2 micron rating is an urban myth. Anyone making claims below 5 microns is making an educated guess.

Not saying Cat doesn't make good filters and that they don't remove SOME 2 micron particles, but that whole 2 micron rating is an overstatement.

· Registered
1,826 Posts

· Registered
1,696 Posts
FWIW: Baldwin BF7633 is an example of a filter with a 4 micron 'absolute' rating, meaning it removes 98.7% of particles 4 microns size. I would trust Baldwin info.

For field filtering of fuel using just gravity, I suspect small micron filters are going to veeeery slow.
Thanks for posting that. It has evolved several times no doubt in the past 20 years since I first became familiar with it. They used to muse that a window screen could catch "some" 25 micron particles therefore you could call a window screen a 25 micron filter and not be lying. Baldwin is a filter company that's core business is making filters. They don't get more reputable than Baldwin.

That said does Baldwin really give a 4 micron rating? In the past Baldwin has always taken stance that particle counters are not practical to measure below 5 microns. I've seen Cat calling theirs 4 microns so maybe they are just figuring if it's 5 absolute it's bound to be damn good at 4? All of my trucks run the BF7635.

For the OP's issue with rust I think I'd be looking at a Filter magnet to grab the ferrous metal bits but again once in the tank you are pretty much SOL.

Reactions: nm9stheham

· Registered
880 Posts
No one is disputing old gas. It can be fresh gas but a tank issue or delivery issue with new gas..... and fuel could have been sitting for months during COVID that gummed up the tank and long since replaced. I too have fueled there back in 2018 and didn't have an issue.
In the summer quads and sxs use the gas there. It is a constant turnover and covid didn't stop Canadians from going there. If anything they may be buying cheap /lower octane gas and selling it as premium. They charge at least $1.00 per liter more than a regular gas station in town. But it's cheaper than walking and they know it.

· Registered
880 Posts
Our automotive 4-stroke engines can be very forgiving when it comes to "bad" or "compromised" fuel, I am a little surprised our 4-stroke sled engines appear to be not so forgiving though.....or maybe just a BRP thing vs. a Yami thing as I think a person already posted.

Take this same potential scenario and it was a 2-stroke engine - is it a limp sled or a blown up sled.

Heading on a trip shortly and this location is a fuel stop on our route, which is putting some doubts in my head - but I will take this as one of those situations where all you hear is the bad news on the internet......for everyone one bad customer report, there are ten good customer reports :)
Go to Manawan and top off.

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It has evolved several times no doubt in the past 20 years since I first became familiar with it. They used to muse that a window screen could catch "some" 25 micron particles therefore you could call a window screen a 25 micron filter and not be lying. Baldwin is a filter company that's core business is making filters. They don't get more reputable than Baldwin.

That said does Baldwin really give a 4 micron rating? In the past Baldwin has always taken stance that particle counters are not practical to measure below 5 microns. I've seen Cat calling theirs 4 microns so maybe they are just figuring if it's 5 absolute it's bound to be damn good at 4? All of my trucks run the BF7635.

For the OP's issue with rust I think I'd be looking at a Filter magnet to grab the ferrous metal bits but again once in the tank you are pretty much SOL.
Yessir, I looked at Baldwin's data sheet on that particular Baldwin model and it says '4 absolute'. FWIW, your filter lists '5 absolute' so yours should be really filtering 98.7% of 5 micron particles. It'll catch some lower percentage of 4 micron particles and to lower %'s for even smaller particles.

It might do me good to look into the particle size matter, but I would not be surprised if their equipment is getting better. A lot of this is being driven by needing to maintain long term environmental performance of systems per the EPA and their Canadian equivalent. Hence the modern fault messages, finer injection sprays and controls, much more frequent filter changes, and threats to shut down your truck in so may miles if you don't fix something. (Not to mention the recent massive fines to re-sellers of delete kits.. but that is another topic...)

I'm pretty familiar with filter ratings....from performance auto work, but have been specifying parts for system and product designs for about 4 decades. Some companies (like Baldwin) you can trust IMHO. But like the Twinair spec of 'articles as small as 40 microns'... that jumped right out as NOT being a true filter spec. My god, you can see through the thing LOL.

Never thought of magnet for rust: good thought there. Looking at that, rust is weakly magnetic. Maybe a good powerful one would get most of it out... just keep it away from your credits cards.

BTW, since you run trucks, Diesel Pro, what diesel injector cleaner do you regularly use?

· Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
These are 3 of the 4 filters that got clogged after fuel at an outfitter. I must say, I have fueled at Lac Repo many times without issue. It is very possible that a delivery truck was onsite just before we arrived, but still, there should be filter on fuel being pumped.

Attachments

· E-Tec Rules
34,004 Posts
Part of group I go with. Is up there this week. They got gas at repos today. Didn’t have any issues. One 900r and Arctic cat turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nm9stheham

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Interesting. Is it the same shape and size, etc? Got a PN?
Here ya go. Its the same size, same plug, sock is a little different. Our engine tuner reccomended it actually. You will also need a new hose too, the oem is 5”, order a 6” from here and cut the ends down some. Im done with the oem pumps
Product Font Screenshot Circle Cable
Font Body jewelry Jewellery Screenshot Wedding ring

· Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
We went with the Quantum pump from the same place you got your hose. Was there a reason you went with the Subaru pump over the Quantam (www.highflowfuel.com)?

Here ya go. Its the same size, same plug, sock is a little different. Our engine tuner reccomended it actually. You will also need a new hose too, the oem is 5”, order a 6” from here and cut the ends down some. Im done with the oem pumps View attachment 2019066 View attachment 2019068

· Registered
1,826 Posts
That pump will support a few hundred HP LOL.

How did you drive that pump motohd66?? It draws 12-13 amps at 12 volts.

Is it as quiet as the original pump?

Do you think the OEM pumps failed from dirt, or something else?

81 - 100 of 133 Posts