Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an 03 MXZX 800 that has a serious front sag. I have rebuilt all my shocks, but it still drops about 4 inches when lifted in front. I have adjusted the preload to max setting and it gets down to 2" sag, but it throws me off the machine over bumps.

What needs to be done? Do springs wear out or am I missing something? The machine has 7000 miles. Thanks!

Edit: Just wanted to add these are the stock HPG shocks with external reservoirs. And I weight 140lbs.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yes springs can sag out eventually. Try finding some 90 lbs springs for the front

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestions on where to find them? I'd assume I need new ones. I can't find any original parts.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
O4-05 front springs are good and u will need spacers,,newer springs are shorter

The 03 springs were soft progressive

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm dealing with rear sag. Coupler block is always in rear position, even when lifted it sags back down. I'm assuming torsion springs. Any suggestions on a set for a 140lb rider?

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
Ya probably the springs are sacked. Get the stock ones for replacement

-grover

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
If the rear shocks havent been rebuilt this season,,then they cause that sag also when they are kinda dead

Fresh new springs are nice also
He said all 4 were rebuilt in his first post

-grover

-grover

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I just ordered some used RH, 503189443 LH, 503189445 shocks. These are stiffer. Hopefully not too much for me. Sled has over 7k miles on it, so stock could be worn out.

I believe I meant I rebuilt all front shocks in my old first post. Since I've rebuilt the center, but I don't think I ever did the rear. I will probably pull it off tonight to check. Does a shock help lift the sled much? I thought it was almost entirely springs.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Yes it lifts the sled back,,when you take it out/compress it on the floor and see what happens?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surprisingly rear shock is in great shape, I couldn't even get it to compress all the way with my body weight. Springs back quickly. So it must be either worn springs, or rusted joints. I will play around with it when the new springs come in.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Still get the shock refreshed,,nitrogen can leak past the floating piston o-ring and into the shock oil and then it doesnt work rite(like air bubbles in the oil) and make it rebound faster than it should

Plus moisture ends up in the oil,,all fresh shocks make it feel like it was when new,,i replaced my torsions about every 3000mi with my 03 since new and had the shocks refreshed every 1000mi

Ha,,i weigh 170 and barely can compress the C46 and C36 rears

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll probably have that shock serviced this summer. It's rare that I get over 200 miles in a season. So to keep rebuilding these shocks every season doesn't add up for me, not on a $2000 sled.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
This is my 3rd year on a rebuild/revalve by monster, they are still great. 1300 miles the first year 300 miles last year and 550 so far this year. Haven't had a reason to think about a refresh yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts