Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with frezing carbs on your 440 racers? Here in sweden we have big problems with the carbs. Not all but to much too ignore the problem. The carbs get all icy and performance gets really bad. The machines goes well in the begíning but after a while it starts to act like you put on full "choke". Only these problems on the racetrack. Don´t care if you really warm up the sled before you race or if it´s cold. Starts after about 5-8 laps depends on weather. Niclas sweden

·
skidlid
603 Posts
I also have had that problem in the past. Not sure what caused it but seems like it came from staging sitting among all the snowdust getting sucked into the carbs. Froze up the slides and plug the small holes in the bell area. I have not had a problem yet this year. Maybe water in the gas last year?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it´s not last years fuel. We had a few machines 03 more 04 and too much 05 this year. Think it´s too much airspeed trough the carbs that causes the icing. It´s the fast guys that have the problems not the average 440 rider.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tummen said:
Has anyone had problems with frezing carbs on your 440 racers? Here in sweden we have big problems with the carbs. Not all but to much too ignore the problem. The carbs get all icy and performance gets really bad. The machines goes well in the begíning but after a while it starts to act like you put on full "choke". Only these problems on the racetrack. Don´t care if you really warm up the sled before you race or if it´s cold. Starts after about 5-8 laps depends on weather. Niclas sweden

[snapback]271828[/snapback]​
I´m having the EXACT same problem on my 03 440. Seems to be the airpassage to the airscrew, NEVER had a problem with my 02 that doesnt have that airpassage in theh carbs. Thought it wold be cured with TLIpro! But no, warmed it on the stand last night. Started to sputter, heated carbs with the heatgun. Seemed ok, ran for 5-8 mins and it was clogged AGAIN! Let it sit for awhile and the underhood heat melted the ice. Then it ran the rest of the night, finally!!

ANYONE have a solve for this?

Anders (AdrenalineJunky to you Niclas)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jonsson said:
Tummen said:

[snapback]271828[/snapback]​
I´m having the EXACT same problem on my 03 440. Seems to be the airpassage to the airscrew, NEVER had a problem with my 02 that doesnt have that airpassage in theh carbs. Thought it wold be cured with TLIpro! But no, warmed it on the stand last night. Started to sputter, heated carbs with the heatgun. Seemed ok, ran for 5-8 mins and it was clogged AGAIN! Let it sit for awhile and the underhood heat melted the ice. Then it ran the rest of the night, finally!!

ANYONE have a solve for this?
I had the same prob. Was riding in -20c lots of powder. ran for two minutes than had that problem. I was running the bombardier powder pro intake sock. and Isopropyl in the fuel. I determined my problem was that the fit and finish of my rev hood and belly pan had lots of gaps. Used foam, duct tape and silicone to patch up all these small holes. Shut the lights of in garage, put a flashlight inside the hood and close it. You will see all these gaps I talk about. Since I sealed her up, haven't had any problems and ran lots of Pow on cold days.
Anders (AdrenalineJunky to you Niclas)
[snapback]278253[/snapback]​

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Yes, put iso int he gas. It wont actually get ridof the water, it will just allow the water to pass through the main jet instead of clogging it...Have fun guys...-chris

btw pat, hows the tempa working out?

·
Registered
544 Posts
440 man, The Tempo flow is going great so far, I have it right on the white dot and the plugs are like cardboard.
How is the riding up there? Getting bored down here same old trails...

Later
Steve

·
Registered
112 Posts
I´m not runing straight ISO. But, TLIpro. Its a combined octanebooster/carb antifreeze/cleaner etc...

Mainjet arent clogging! The airpassages to the lowend circuit is... Runs perfect at startup, after awhile it spits and sputters like it has full choke on. As "Tummen" said... Runs ok at WOT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Riding last night at 0 deg F and busting through powdery drfts we froze the air bleeds on two MachZ,just like the choke was on,thawed them out closed the vents and rode the rest of the nighjt with no problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
marsheng said:
Riding last night at 0 deg F and busting through powdery drfts we froze the air bleeds on two MachZ,just like the choke was on,thawed them out closed the vents and rode the rest of the nighjt with no problem.
[snapback]279473[/snapback]​
Powder or not doesnt matter! Freezes up on hardpack to...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got the same problem on 04 - 440. Put one pint of ISO in and still iced up the Mag carb Friday afternoon, had to take it apart on the trail. After that it was fine for the rest of the day. Ran it today both carbs icy and lots of bla, bla, spit, sputter. Put the heat gun to them and ran fine *%@?

How can this be, too much water in the fuel, engine not running hot enough?

I taped off the vents Friday and ran fine.

REVBARON, DYNAMOE, 440MAN, TUGGER, do you guys know?

HELP!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Snowdust gets suked in and creates that problem somewhat. But most likely its just a bad round of gas. In your case, a REAL bad round of gas. Syphon her out and put some fresh fuel in her with a bottle of ISO...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Had the same problem on my 04 got gas from three different stations ran like crap until I taped off the hood vents. Then it started to load up on the bottom fouling plugs on the pto side 320 mains should not do that in 10 deg weather. Probbably should check the reeds now. I have a 99 440 that I payed 600 bucks that runs a hundo times better than the 04 ive got 5 grand stuck in to . Im ready to throw this thing in the dumpster at work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Think your right 440man, last week put 20 lt. in and had ice on screen in funnel. Thought ISO would do the trick so threw some in right away, guess not, drained her down this morning, added more ISO and a fresh tank of gas......... same thing. Mind you not as bad though. Probably still had water from Friday's 60 mile ride . Thought for sure water was out.

Any idea hoe long it takes to flush out the residual?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kind of funny you say that Don, me too, I've got an 01-440 in the garage as well and a real good runner, just don't like the way it handles. So I bought this 04 with only 100 miles on thr odo and nothing but headaches. Finaly solved my plug fouling problem with running AMSOIL, now this.

For your interest, I called TOM Lawrence around Chrsitmas and he suggested 17.5 PJ's (I'm running 20), Clip 2 (second from top) on race needle, 330 MJ's, all with L/C inserts

Now I get icy carbs,,,,,,,, [email protected]!

440MAN, DON is there a hood vent kits for these bad boys?

Wouldn't the mountain sleds have them?

Frustrated, need some re-assurance before mine finds its way to the bottom of the river.

Craig

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Drain as much "old" gas out as possible. Obvously you can't get the ga sin the lines out, so there will be some bog associted with the sled for a couple minutes, then when the new along with the ISO mixes in, you will be all set. -Chris

LOL, when you see ice in the funnel, and it wasn't laying in snow prevously to putting your gas into your tank, you know you got gas along with a truckload of water...lol

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hello Craig

Went for a short ride yesterday. Frostbie sucks. Same issue with mine I believe. Air jet for the idle circut freezes and runs pig rich on low end cause no air makes it thru. Sled idles at an rpm so low it doesn't even register. This used to happen to my wifes SX 600 all the time. Had to put the hair dryer to the air box before you start out for the day .

I might put a couple tees in the coolant line and run a short loop under the mouth of the carbs. Little on/off valve and we should be all set.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used duct tap from the gas station. But you could do like 440man and use some type of pre filter material and ski doo sells a pre filter for the air intake on the side panel.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts