Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the top end on my 01 mxz 800 put back together this evening and it's really, really tight haha. Wasn't much trouble to slide the cylinders down over the pistons, but when I put the head on and put the plugs in, it's pretty hard to haul over, and seems like it almost brings up. I put a little bit of oil in the crankcase before I put the cylinders on, but I don't think that'd be any trouble. I also put some coolant in the top front ports of the cylinder...I don't think they go to the crankcase, do they? I hear people talking about ring end gap...what is it and how would do you adjust it? Anyone know what I did wrong? haha

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
sounds like maybe the ring end gap may be a problem. You slide the rings down into the cylinder then measure the gap between the ends of the ring. your pistons should have had the measurement you needed. But this should have been done before you put the rings on the pistons. The cylinders are a little wider at the bottom compared to the top,so as the piston goes up if the gap is to tight it will start or can start to bind. Did you lube up everything when you assembled pistons rings pin bearing cylinders? You may just have a real good seal already with your rings too,or like mine the compression was so --itty it now feels like your pulling a lead weight.......haha. But really you should have checked your end gap,you may want to tear it down and check it. If it gets tight from heat it will squeak.......

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Does it feel like its binding up with the plugs out? If not, its not uncommon. The extra oil in the cylinders really seal the rings in the cylinder raising the compression. After you run it and burn the excess oil off it will feel more normal pulling over.

FYI, If you don't have the primary clutch on it will pull over hard also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts