Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the ride on a Freestyle or Tundra? Will it keep up on the trail up to 35MPH with a groupd of REV's?

Does it handle bumps as good as the old ZX chassis?

Please explain the ride someone who has ridden it...

·
Registered
215 Posts
the ride is good ! The steering nimble. The front shocks are simple inexpensive ones so they have limitations when pushed hard. the biggest thing is stability at higher speeds ( 40-50mph (wfo) the sled ski stance is narrow and suspension limited so it can get squirly and remind you that it really is not set up for this. Also when ridden hard the single is loud !! Overall the sled is great for just riding around ANYWHERE just fartin around almost like dirt bike trials riding. It cruises well at 30-35 uses very little fuel at that pace. The light weight is a joy making riding fun,not work. A modern Elan or Olympique !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
halfast said:
the ride is good ! The steering nimble. The front shocks are simple inexpensive ones so they have limitations when pushed hard. the biggest thing is stability at higher speeds ( 40-50mph (wfo) the sled ski stance is narrow and suspension limited so it can get squirly and remind you that it really is not set up for this. Also when ridden hard the single is loud !! Overall the sled is great for just riding around ANYWHERE just fartin around almost like dirt bike trials riding. It cruises well at 30-35 uses very little fuel at that pace. The light weight is a joy making riding fun,not work. A modern Elan or Olympique !!
[snapback]746686[/snapback]​
That's exactly how I saw this sled when it was 1st announced. In the 70's, I picked up an old round nose, 300 one lung, 12 horse, Olympique and an Elan 250 single cyl for our two youngest kids. I was on a Chaparral 440ss, the wife on a Chaparral 400 and the oldest girl on a 399 Olympique. Sometimes I'd take the Elan to play in openings in the woods or just through the trees around our vacation camp. In fresh powder, standing, it would carve with the best of them. I had a lot of fun on it. Now, bad lungs keep me from riding like that so no FreeStyle or Tundra in my future, but I wish I could. It would be like going back to the glory days of sledding. Guess I'll just have to settle for cruising smooth trails on my 02 Legend 600. Life could be worse!

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Ahhhhh, but now for 2007. They widened the ski stance out to 39 inches, dropped a 550 Fan motor in it, and offer the backcountry version with a 136 x 16 x 1.25 inch track.

I betcha that's a pretty sweet ride....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craze1cars said:
Ahhhhh, but now for 2007. They widened the ski stance out to 39 inches, dropped a 550 Fan motor in it, and offer the backcountry version with a 136 x 16 x 1.25 inch track.

[snapback]746761[/snapback]​
My dad is looking for a sled just like this backcountry: Lightweight, but good boondocking abilities, yet decent on the trails.

I just hope the thing rides through bumpy trails ok. His last sled was a polaris indy 400, I wonder if the backcountry will be better than that??

It must be, especially with the longer track....

Wish I could try one out.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
NH_Renegade said:
Craze1cars said:

[snapback]746761[/snapback]​
My dad is looking for a sled just like this backcountry: Lightweight, but good boondocking abilities, yet decent on the trails.

I just hope the thing rides through bumpy trails ok. His last sled was a polaris indy 400, I wonder if the backcountry will be better than that??

It must be, especially with the longer track....

Wish I could try one out.
[snapback]747498[/snapback]​
Your dad may want to check out the Expedition Sport....it has all of these features...and has been out on the market since 2005.. and ....yes...it is a great ride and fun!! at 30mph or 70mph....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts