Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was the first time we had enough snow to use the sleds. The 550 was a bit cranky to start but eventually started and ran. I warmed it up by letting it idle for 4-5 minutes and then my wife drove it around to the front of the house to the driveway so we could top up fuel, oil, etc. She shut the sled down and I fuelled the sled up and she restarted it....ran fine idling until she clipped on the emergency tether...then the sled quit. The tether didn't disconnect but that was the only thing she touched and the sled died. I removed the tether and held the button down by hand and cranked the engine...nothing. Next I removed the plugs and both were wet so dried them off with a propane torch...waved it over the plug holes too but no poof from excess fuel. Replaced both plugs with new ones...grounded them on the screws holding the cooling plastics in place and no spark. Remembered that when it was cranking over at first before moving it that it seemed to start as I was releasing the key from the starter crank position...thought maybe just a coincidence. She started and ran for several minutes....moved it and let it idle fine. I have it sitting inside now in heated garage and will check it again in the morning. Any suggestions would be good. Thought I might try to bypass the emergency off switch so will try that in the morning.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on 550f no spark issue. Issue still remains but after having a couple of days to sit and investigate things in the heat of the garage it still has no spark. I have checked the emergency tether switch, the kill switch, as well as removed the ignition switch and checked all as per the shop manual instructions all had readings within spec for ohms. Also unplugged the main harness with four wires in it and did stator test using ohm meter...right on spec...and also the pickup coil wires tested right on spec. The only weak link I have come to would be the coil pack itself. Anyone know how to test one of these as the replacement is listed as over $300 bucks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...gave up after taking two days and going over everything for the second or third time and sent the sled the the former dealer here for them to double check things...all I have heard is parts are ordered. Will post back what they find and what was replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Put the new cdi in today. New machine. Runs great. Put the old cdi in worked for 10 minutes and died. Put the new one back in and runs great

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Things working great now. It was the Coil/CDI pack that died. Former dealer did a thorough run through and found it to be the coil pack gone south...ouch. Hopefully this one lasts for a long time. Thanks for the posts anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts