Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking at a new freeride and torn between getting 146 or a 154. I live in NH so we get decent snowfall but not like outwest. I will do half on trail riding and half off trail. I'm 6 foot 1 and weight about 240 lbs. What is the best option for me since I trail ride with my family a lot but also go off trail with my buddies. Thanks! I plan on going riding in the Gaspe penninsula and making a couple trips up there and maybe out west if the wife allows!! :ride:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
This is an easy one. 146 without a doubt if you are on trail 50% of the time. I have owned all lengths (120, 137, 146 and 154) in the past 5 years. This year I went back to a 16' 146 FR. I spend 70% of my time off trail and do a couple trips out West each year.

If your question was 137 or 146 then things wouldn't be so clear cut. The 15' FR 137 with 2.25" I had last year is heads and tales a better trail machine then any t-motion 146 ever will be. I did bury that 137 out West a few times last year in places that I know a 146 would have handled just fine.

I stay away from trails as much as possible (unless I am walking my dog off leash) due to the drunks and Ricky Racers. When riding trails, the fun factor is just as high on my 146 as it ever was on any full out trail sled with the added bonus of having a t-motion sled that is so easy to boondock and sidehill with that it is almost ridiculous.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Renegade Backcountry or Backcountry X sounds like your best match

If you're stuck on the freeride I'd definitely go with the 137 or 146... the 154 doesn't sound fun for all of those tight twisty feeder trails that are everywhere in NH and VT. I also would think that overheating will be a constant concern if you intend to trail ride it a lot.

Just me $0.02...

Reactions: SplittingHUNTER

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't know I got stuck a lot with 146 so I got a 154 this year after 2 -146's that I had !
Definitely agree with this statement and will add this: Being very familiar with your riding area and having owned all variations of 137" I would never go down that road again unless I was staying on trail or occasionally playing off trail from time to time.
Now let's talk your area. I know it's a tough start this year but with neck deep snow becoming the average and the tight tree riding combined with in your face instant elevation changes I would say a 146 should be what you would consider at very least. I'm running a 146 2.5" now and although it's a lot of fun there are more than several occasions that I wish I had a 154. 146/154 doesn't trail ride any different in that they're both a bit of a compromise so why not have the better sled when it comes time to rip some deep. Just an opinion but I'll say this: With all the 154/155's in our group I ride with I've yet to hear anyone say they bought the wrong sled. Also offer up my 146 to trade to anyone that felt their 154 was too much. So far... No takers

·
Registered
423 Posts
1000km on 15 freeride 146. Used it for everything. Trail, backcountry, haul sleigh, and took to mountains. Only thing I would say. Be prepared to change sliders.!
, I barely road the trails and had to replace mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just use scratchers on trail. I have 2300km on my '15 summit x 146 and sliders are totally fine. I ride basically 50/50 on/off trail. I absolutely love my 146.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2015 freeride with 1100miles and I ride 50/50 as well and i have no issues on or off the trail. I've never taken the sled to the mountains but when I've found flat country deep snow I haven't had a problem yet where i was wishing for more track. I always have scratchers down when I'm on trail and I have had to ride through some pretty barren spots to get to the snow and my sliders are in excellent condition. more than 50% left

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely agree with this statement and will add this: Being very familiar with your riding area and having owned all variations of 137" I would never go down that road again unless I was staying on trail or occasionally playing off trail from time to time.
Now let's talk your area. I know it's a tough start this year but with neck deep snow becoming the average and the tight tree riding combined with in your face instant elevation changes I would say a 146 should be what you would consider at very least. I'm running a 146 2.5" now and although it's a lot of fun there are more than several occasions that I wish I had a 154. 146/154 doesn't trail ride any different in that they're both a bit of a compromise so why not have the better sled when it comes time to rip some deep. Just an opinion but I'll say this: With all the 154/155's in our group I ride with I've yet to hear anyone say they bought the wrong sled. Also offer up my 146 to trade to anyone that felt their 154 was too much. So far... No takers
I'm thinking about the 146 since it sounds like it would be a better trail sled and maybe have less over heating issues. I ride all northern nh and some vt. Mostly Pittsburg, colebrook Stewartstown area. I was thinking that a 154 would be over kill but now you mention 154 would pretty much handle the same just doesn't wheelie as well I might as well get it since it is pretty much the same price

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love my 146 XM summit. Its a perfect on\off trail machine. Tons of power and when you get into the powder it dances

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love my 146 XM summit. Its a perfect on\off trail machine. Tons of power and when you get into the powder it dances
I like the summits. Tried out a 13 sp and was just to tippy for me. Want to go with a wider front end. Would a 154 tear up the trails more than a 146? I'm sure a long track like the 154 would possibly take the bumps better.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Both sleds can do some damage to a trail really fast. But that's on you and your right hand. If you abuse a hard trail the trail will reward you back with premature curling of your track lugs so none of us are really into that. Roll along w scratchers down and enjoy the ride and you'll never have any problems. Have to remember, you're NOT on a trail sled

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you are one to change sled lengths, you ride it for what you bought it for and if that reason is to ride more off trail, you learn a different way to ride it on Trail and you'll be fine. Adjust to what you have and learn the way to make it handle on the trail.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a '14 FR 146 and wish I had the 154. The next one will be a 154 (or 155 Poo). Same riding area as you (Pittsburg/Colebrook/SDR,etc.)...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '14 FR 146 and wish I had the 154. The next one will be a 154 (or 155 Poo). Same riding area as you (Pittsburg/Colebrook/SDR,etc.)...
Why do you say that? I've been reading a lot of forums and everyone says 146 is a good inbetweener sled and 154 maybe to long for on the trail but since I'm a heavier guy I'm leaning towards the 154 anyways. If I'm going to have to compromise on the trail riding like the 146 or 154, I might as well get the longer lengths so it's better off trail anyways.

·
Registered
56 Posts
146 is a good sled for on trail and off trail. I'll be switching to a 137 Freeride with the 2.25 track next year and I live in Nothern Michigan and I believe that it will be a better fit than the 146" which I feel like at times people think they need something bigger than they actually need. JMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you plan on mostly trail riding (lets say 50/50) then go with the 146". If you really plan to get into the trees (not to be confused with ditch banging) then get the 154". I primarily stay off the trail and have found the 146 trenches way too much once the snow is deep. I'm going to play with the limiter strap this year and will see how that works.

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Here is some Summit trail gearing regardless 146~154 - both have 49 bottom gear.

latest 2016 gearing....

BRP High elevation 441 ramp setup 146 @ 21 top. 154 @ 19 top

BRP Low elevation 413 ramp setup 146 @ 23top. 154 @ 21 top.

The number (speed) highlighted by the orange box will give you an idea of a reasonable top end speed you'll be able to achieve regularly on hardpack with good lubrication, even with 2.5" track....and that's on GPS.

summit trail gearing.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you plan on mostly trail riding (lets say 50/50) then go with the 146". If you really plan to get into the trees (not to be confused with ditch banging) then get the 154". I primarily stay off the trail and have found the 146 trenches way too much once the snow is deep. I'm going to play with the limiter strap this year and will see how that works.
I plan on doing a little bit of everything. Half on trail and the other half going through fields and tress and a little bit of climbing and pretty much just thrashing it around where I can go off trail whether it be in the woods or old logging roads or logged out fields and brush etc. that's why Im being told to get two different track lengths.... I heard the 146 is more fun and wheelies better and that adds to the fun factor and it's easier to thrash around but at the same time people say it trenches out. I'm not going to be like in 6 feet of pow maybe 2-3 at the most in the trees or in snow drifts in a field. I feel like the 154 is better for that by since I'm half trail riding I think that a 146 is right in the middle for what i want to do. Is the 154 decent on the trails? If it's nearly the same as the 146 I'll consider then154 more since I am to a lot of off trail and that's what is the most fun to me as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts