Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there just wondering if anyone has a solution for this problem? I seem to over rev when I get to about 95-97 mph. It goes to around 8300 rpm. How much pin weight should I add? Is there any other things i can do? Thanks.

·
Always wrenching on toys
1,477 Posts
I would consider pulling the clutch(s), clean them and check tolerances of the parts. Especially if you didn't do any mods to increase power. I wouldn't add weight unless it has always done this from the beginning...

...also, check your belt and make sure it's sitting in the secondary correctly.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Hi there just wondering if anyone has a solution for this problem? I seem to over rev when I get to about 95-97 mph. It goes to around 8300 rpm. How much pin weight should I add? Is there any other things i can do? Thanks.
Can you dial up your clickers on clutch to a higher number, from a 3 to a 4
Make sure you set all 3 the same though.
Giver a test run and see if it helps yah out!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has always done this, is it possible the previous owner had high level Clutching put in? I just thought since it was bought from a dealer they would inform me. And don't I want to go down with clickers to go down in rpm? Is the belt supposed to sit with the bottom of the trough after each tooth?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
If you run out of gear ratio it will over rev.

95-97 mph is real good for a 1.75x137" Even better if it is a 2.25x137"

Oops Hpjunkie beet me to the post... :laugh_old:

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
It still shouldn't over rev at top speed is what I am trying to say

That's exactly what it should do at top speed, once it runs out of "gear." It probably hits 7800-8000as soon as you hammer it, then the rpm's climb slowly as it winds out in speed, right?? Mine did and still does the same thing after a DJ clutch kit; it's a function of low gearing on a sled not set up for top end. I thought wtf at first too; I suggest you spend some time searching and reading on the topic. I posted one on the same subject no more than a month or two ago that ended up getting some good dialouge going. My guess is that there's a lot of people out there who think their sleds are clutched wrong, when the actual issue is simply a lack of understanding.

Guess what my rpm's were on this run...
F199405F-CB61-47D9-B3C6-59AF4B1F100F_zps

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Wouldn't that increase rpm?
Adding pin weight reduces rpm, or by changing clickers on the clutch rpm is lowered by increasing the clutch ramp angle. This allows the engine to load up quicker keeping rpm's lower, transferring the power to clutch driveline quicker!
If you are over reving engine above 8100rpm....add weight to clutch or adjust clickers to a higher number which changes ramp angle making engine load up earlier.

Each clicker number is equal to around 200rpm engine change.
So engine reving 8,300rpm at clicker #2 if you set it to clicker #3 you just reduced engine rpm to 8,100rpm where you want/should be at max!

If you run out of speed and engine rpms rise from 8,100rpm to 8,200-8,300 then you are out of hp and torque.
If you want more speed you will have to adjust gearing loosing torque for speed!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried clicker two today and it seemed to run better I also noticed I had a loose sparkplug spraying oil so I tightened up that as well, I also had kind of a sketchy built can on it so I switched it out for a more reputable brand and the sled all around seems to be running better!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah because with 2 I was seeing almost 2-300 rpm less at top speed between 7900 and 8000 rpm from 8200-8300 at clicker 3

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Yeah because with 2 I was seeing almost 2-300 rpm less at top speed between 7900 and 8000 rpm from 8200-8300 at clicker 3

You've got the right idea; Icanfixit had it backwards. Lower clicker= lower rpm. However; you should really read into comments that Dynamo Joe has made on threads about the same subject. What is your rpm RIGHT when you whack the throttle? That's what you're adjusting for. The rpm creep at top end speed is a function of low gearing; pin weight won't change that situation, and lower clicker numbers will supposedly make the primary react more slowly.

You are running into overdrive / full shift.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts