Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on the best aftermarket front shock package? It'll be on a 2022 BC 600R 146 X 15 x 1.6 ice cobra. 70% Trail, tight twisties and 30% flatland powder.

Thanks.

·
RPG
2022 Renegade X 900r Turbo
1,216 Posts
I don’t know which one of those are best, but I’ve been running Elka shocks for the past 4 years and they are great. Huge improvement over stock kyb, especially because of the high quality dual rate springs used on the Elka’s.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I second that ^. I use Elka on my ATV and sled. A huge improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
My vote is for the Elka’s. Valved and sprung for your requirements. And keep the stock ones for a while. After 500 miles on the elkas get then rebuilt. After that you should be good to rebuild once a season. Reason for keeping stocks is so you can throw them back on once elkas are broken in and still ride. After that you can sell the stock ones if you reach 500 miles mid season.

Edit-also get both rears revalved for you if you are keeping them stock. Custom fronts with stock rears you wouldn’t be too mich of an improvement. All around for your weight/ riding style would be a big improvement.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Elkas all the way. Properly valved. They are the best shocks I've ever had. Highly recommend them. I order mine through monster. As mentioned above keep stock shocks for when it's time to get rid of the machine

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Question is, has anyone tired the KYB’s revalved over the bling aftermarket??? Wondering how the more expensive shocks are worth it over Enzo tuning in particular??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Factory shocks rebuilt to your specs and a set of dual rate springs will probably make 80% happy. The other 20% that are extreme ridders will benefit from the high end shocks. There is no one shock that is set it and forget it. You spend all the money to get all the adjustments, you need to keep changing them for conditions to get the benefit of the shock. Hence why I think a revalved factory shock and a good set of dual rate springs covers a pretty good adjustment range. On the X and XRS you have adjustments to help fine tune for conditions that work well. Oh and yes I have have experience with both factory and the High end(bling) shocks ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. In 26 years of sledding I've never had anything beyond factory base packages.

I enjoy making adjustments and tuning my rides to suit conditions and have experienced first hand how much difference a minor tweak in a spring preload or limiter strap can make. I can only imagine how good a custom setup with compression and rebound adjustments would be.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Find a dealer of said shocks and have them set up for your style of riding.
Who’s better out of the box is an opinion at best.
plenty of shocks guys who are site sponsors that can make you happy for your style of riding. Most, if not all will take a phone call for your needs

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,183 Posts
I've got Elka's on my Outlander which are fantastic! Different world from what was there from the factory.
That said the KYB's on my XRS were sent out an set up for me by Ian. They have been shortened, revalved and had dual rate springs installed....... again, different world from stock.

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
I’ve always had my shocks done by Ian. I have done different things based on budget and needs over the years.

The last complete of setups I did with Ian, changed the sled dramatically for the better and was not very expensive.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I always have Ian @ Monster Performance rebuild, & re-valve, & dual rate springs, my stock XRS KYB's Shocks, & they are Night & Day from stock, I'm sure there not as good as a set up pair of Elka's, but for the money it's a great bang for the buck!! (y)(y)
Do you mined sharing what the cost was to have this done, this is the route I'm thinking of going

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Question is, has anyone tired the KYB’s revalved over the bling aftermarket??? Wondering how the more expensive shocks are worth it over Enzo tuning in particular??

Not worth it from what Ive ridden. Guy I used to ride with spent close to 3k on elkas. I took turns riding mine and his over the same washed out junk. IF i felt a 5-10 % improvement Id argue that.....over my 700 dollar foxes. It was enough to never make me spend for the bling.

Same exact sleds other than year and mine being a 120 vs his 129

Reactions: Caper11

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone know who does custom suspension set-ups in Ontario?

I'm not sure if sending shocks and springs stateside is reasonable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts