Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after the release of the 2015 sleds and not seeing any changes in weight or hp ive decided to keep my sled for another year or two. And decided to just shed some lbs off of my current sled. So im thinking of putting fox floats all the way around and possibly belt drive. So my question is for people who had rode a sled with fox shocks or had any experience with them. I ride mainly in the mtns so im not worried about trail handling just more so how they do in the deep snow. Also wondering how much maintenance is required with em. Ive read of ppl complaining that they constantly have to adj the air pressure. Is this true? Or can you just set em in the morning and be good all day? Anyways any info for or against would be great. Also wondering about belt drives. I know ct powersports makes one and tki not sure of any others but just wondering what everyones experiences are with those also. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Floats will change slightly with temperature... not a big deal really for most.

Depending on where you get them and what you weigh, you might want to revalve them or just throw thicker oil in them.

Floats can be somewhat pogo-ish when not set up properly, but it doesn't take much to make them a good shock for winter applications imo.

·
Ukranian Mafia
5,538 Posts
Dont short yourself with the floats. Big difference I find between floats and evols. The extra volume is really needed with that shock.

·
Ukranian Mafia
5,538 Posts
Dont short yourself with the floats. Big difference I find between floats and evols. The extra volume is really needed with that shock.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Are you referring to the one, two, or 3. The differences are significant.

Also, adding volume to a float (one or two) is pretty easy, the 3 is a bit tougher.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have float 3 evol rc2 and they rock! They take some time to get dialed, but once you do, just ride and enjoy. Only time you need to add air is if there was a severe temp change. Also look at the emotion skid by Tom's snowmobile, drops 8lbs and gets rid of the torsion springs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have never had any issues with floats loosing air, once I have them set to my liking they might need to be corrected once durring the season. Had the float 2s on my last sled and I must say I prefer the float 3 R evols I got for my new sled, especially for mountain riding. With the Evol chamber you can fine tune the body roll independent of ride height to make rolling you're sled up much easier. I believe you can also add the Evol kit to a regular Float 3 for around $350 plus labour, if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
127 Posts
EVERYTHING you need to know about Fox Shox... call Melissa or Rod @ H2R Distributing in Abby. They rebuild, service & initially set up all Fox products as per rider/vehicle/ terrain specifications, as well as many other shock brands.

A lot of pros go directly to them.

There are a lot of things people don't know about Fox Shox and a lot things people 'think they know.' Which is detrimental to the performance of Fox Shox.

I have Fox 2's- RC2's up front (a bit overkill-but I'm 240 lbs) and Toms E-mo in the rear. Difference is night and day from stock setup. They soak up EVERYTHING once dialed in.

I check my pressure every weekend, in case a Schroeder valve/o-ring leaks, but not usually necessary from my experience. Takes 15 minutes. Proper sequence is key.

There's a bunch of very informative posts on C3 belt drive on Snowest & Snow and Mud. Kevin at C3 is great to deal with.

Significant weight savings and adjustability with both the belt drive and Fox Shox (Toms E-mo eliminates torsion springs).

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Love my float RC2's with kashma coating. Really hoping a fox float kit gets made for the R motion, I'd love to have some Evol or Evolx shocks in the skid.

As far as belt drive and $1000 i'm not sure if its a $1000 advantage or not, but lets say if I broke my chain in the near future and damaged the cover as well, I'd be installing a belt drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
honestly keep what you have if it works,........the money u will spend will not be worth the weight saved ive ran floats and stockers on the xm

my honest opinion keep the set up u have save your money and put it towards your next sled after all is it really worth it to dropping big cash on new shocks and belt drive if your planning to upgrade next year anyways

I donno what a belt drive is worth or where your getting your floats but i would think all said and done you will be around the 2g mark....thats a nice down payment on a new ride

just my opinion

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I ride with a guy who has the TKI drive on his sled all season. Solid reliability, ease of gear changes, has belt slack adjustment.

I would deffinetly go with a TKI if I was going to a belt drive as I believe its cheaper and have not seen anything that would concern me with it.

sent from a top secret location

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
I have Float 2's on the front, a float hi-flow in the center and a Float Evol-R in the rear. the float 2's seem proficient in the front, and the evol-R is bottomless. I also have Tom's E-Motion suspension, it's nice and I have no complaints.I haven't really had an issue with losing volume or pressure. I heard 1 psi for every ten degrees.

·
Registered
448 Posts
honestly keep what you have if it works,........the money u will spend will not be worth the weight saved ive ran floats and stockers on the xm

my honest opinion keep the set up u have save your money and put it towards your next sled after all is it really worth it to dropping big cash on new shocks and belt drive if your planning to upgrade next year anyways

I donno what a belt drive is worth or where your getting your floats but i would think all said and done you will be around the 2g mark....thats a nice down payment on a new ride

just my opinion
if he were an X I might agree, but being an SP, the shocks are disposable after 500 miles of hard riding if not sooner.

Float 3's are $600 ish for fronts, and the rear set from Tom's is $900 I think... not that much $$ really.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

just my opinion
Makes sense. However i do not see ski doo changing enough stuff next year for me to buy a sled even then. The way i look at it is. If they drop weight i would consider buying. However if my sled is already at or below the weight they drop their is no reason for me to buy a new one. The only other thing would be if they come out with a mew motor or etec 2 with more hp or something like that. In which case i dont like buying the first year they make changes anyway. Also im thinking when i do sell my sled that i can take the beltdrive and fox shocks off and put em on my new sled.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Call Tom at Tom's snowmobile! He is really great to work with and knows his stuff. Never felt like he was pushing me to buy something nor did he rush any conversation like he had better things to attend too. Highly recommended and he has am azaming Fox float setup...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I love my float 3's. They handle anything I throw at them. I decided to go with the std float 3's in the front, float 3 front track shock, and kyb pro rear track shock. Fox offers an evol chamber upgrade kit for $350 which included a rebuild. This is what drove me to save and go with the std floats and try them out. If I wasn't impressed I would upgrade to the evol chamber. I think these float 3's perform Much better than kyb pro 40's I came from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts