Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my dealer picking up my serviced sled, my cracker jack mechanic was working on an 600 HO SDI which had fouled a 1/2 dozen plugs in 700 miles. He discovered there was a problem with the throttle cable, which controls both the gas and oil supply to the cylinders. Due to some slack/binding in the throttle cable, when the throttle was applied lightly, the oil pump was being strongly activated, dumping more oil than needed into the cylinder, resulting in rich conditions and fouling the plugs.

Does this sound like a possibility to those sledders which are regularly fouling plugs
?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I found that problem with my SDI while trying to adjust the oil pump. Mine never fouled any plugs but was a pig on oil. With the air box off I could see there was so much slack in the throttle cable the oil pump lever was opening quit a bit before the throttle bodies would open. Once I adjusted this slack out I could set my oil pump to where it wasn't using so much oil.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
makes sense to me.......mine has never fouled plugs but is pretty easy on oil consumption...........was adjusted soon after I bought it

cant help, thats for sure

·
Registered
51 Posts
gormleyflyer2002 said:
makes sense to me.......mine has never fouled plugs but is pretty easy on oil consumption...........was adjusted soon after I bought it

cant help, thats for sure
[snapback]308146[/snapback]​
How much are you guys using for oil? I go through probably three tanks of gas before I fill my oil tank. I still have some in it. But that is a far as I dare to go so far.

·
Registered
516 Posts
kinda off of the SDI, but i have a 04, 800. first trip 85 miles around 8.25 gal...one quart of oil. the return trip was around 120miles it sucked 2.25 quarts...quite a bit...ofcorse i was plowing thrue snow the hole way...found out that my cable was iced up, oil injection @ full

·
Super Moderator
29,367 Posts
ViperER said:
could be one cause....

it still amazes me that some dealers still don't know to check these simple points...
[snapback]308852[/snapback]​
Exactly. How many of these "problems" are simply due to idiot dealers with NO service department. Then again, those who sell sleds at cost have no profit left to pay a good mechanic.

My dealer is top notch with long term people. In 1800+ miles I have yet to foul a plug on my '04 SDI. My belt is still good and the sled runs perfect. I'm betting it was set up right BEFORE I ever picked it up - amazing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts