Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a problem with a buddy's sled that I'm stumped with...its a 99 Formula Z 583...rotary valve, twin 40's, basically stock and has always been very strong in the past...We had the sled serviced (or supposed to be serviced) 2 weeks ago...Upon return the sled won't idle and when it dies it won't restart...seems to be flooding itself...On the weekend we looked at it further and removed the carbs and they were the dirtiest carbs I've ever seen, so they sure were not cleaned and synced at the service (we'll deal with the dealer later)...we cleaned the carbs completely, synced to factory specs and reassembled ...it fired up right away and ran perfectly for about 10 minutes (idle and all)...then it fell off idle and died and would not start for a long time...we did manage to get it restarted a couple of times to get it home but must have pulled it 50 times each...once started and kept above 4000 rpms it ran great...My next steps are possiblily fuel pump or needle and seats but the fuel pump seems unlikely since in runs fine at higher rpms...by the way the fuel was fresh before this whole thing started...Help me...What do you guys think ???

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
Put in new needle and seats. And yes a fuel pump with a small leak in the diaphragm will cause what you have described also. Usually if the diaphragm is bad you will have some gas seeping out of vent hole while the sled is sitting with out running and can smell raw gas fumes. Start with needle and seat first. If it has a primer that could be the problem also. And if it has a choke that could be corroded on the inside and hanging up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
APC said:
Put in new needle and seats. And yes a fuel pump with a small leak in the diaphragm will cause what you have described also. Usually if the diaphragm is bad you will have some gas seeping out of vent hole while the sled is sitting with out running and can smell raw gas fumes. Start with needle and seat first. If it has a primer that could be the problem also. And if it has a choke that could be corroded on the inside and hanging up.
[snapback]294856[/snapback]​
Thanks APC...I think thats the easiest (and cheapest) thing to look at

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like needle and seats, Oh and when you cleaned your carbs did you remove the jets and clean individually?If not do it! Blow air thru ports,etc. If the needle and seats were leaking the case could have fuel in it, so be sure to pull plugs, hit the killswitch or turn key to off and crank it several times to dry out the gas..Put a rag over plug holes while you crank so you dont get covered..better yet, let your buddy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts