Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 13 and i just bought a 95 stx with a 583 rotax and i was wondering solutions on fixing a impossible pull start my dad tried but it is still hard for him

·
SnomoSnob
2,587 Posts
There is a fix, Electric Start!!! LOL Kidding....
You would need a couple of parts from a slightly newer version of a LC 500\583\670 engine.
Remove the pull starter, attach a Ring\Adapter from the newer engine and then the newer pull start.

This is from ebay, and you may be able to find it cheaper at a local Swap or Recycler.
Let us know if you have more questions.
GutZ

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,332 Posts
I had a 95 formula z 583...the following year The recoil starters were bigger and easier to pull...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a fix, Electric Start!!! LOL Kidding....
You would need a couple of parts from a slightly newer version of a LC 500\583\670 engine.
Remove the pull starter, attach a Ring\Adapter from the newer engine and then the newer pull start.
View attachment 1972843

This is from ebay, and you may be able to find it cheaper at a local Swap or Recycler.
Let us know if you have more questions.
GutZ
Thank you i will try that

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to have the 583 STX. If you think it's hard to pull now, wait till it get really, really cold.....The problem is the rotary valve spinning just behind the carbs. It's in a tight fitting compartment coated in injection oil. My solution was the electric start kit.....

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Yes, that describes them!

Seriously, the above answers are correct, either the bigger diameter recoil or if you want the best fix, add electric start. When these things start well, a couple pulls will do it but if you ever flood it or something it will be very hard to start, whereas pretty easy to clear out with electric start. Estart and reverse have become pretty much standard today, and are a huge plus on any sled.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
My 95 Mach is an absolute beast to pull, luckily it starts on a pull or two, but I still should do the upgrade. I have had several Formula Z 583s, and the first one I was sure there was something wrong with it to be that stiff. How in the world did these things get into full production? My 580s and 617s are not that bad. In fact my 617 Machs are not even close to the 95 670. My 700 Polaris I can start sitting on the seat with one hand, the 670 never - I mean I am sure there are people who can, but not the average person.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You need to be almost a body builder to cold start my 2002 MXZ 800. It will start but it can be pain in the a*s. Obviously, the colder it is, the harder it is to start. I recall a -25 morning in MN where it simply would not start until we pulled the spark plugs and sprayed starting fluid directly into the cylinders. Then she fired right up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts