Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed a new skid for my 1995 formula SL , So picked up a 1998 Formula 3 SC10 along with the front shocks.

Can I install the CK3 formula 3 longer front shocks on my s2000 which has roughly 15" shocks. Would like increase ground clearance and travel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've sort of been down this road with my S-chassis, and from my experience I can tell you 18" shocks would be extremely hard if not impossible to fit on your chassis. I ended up going with shocks from a '97 XCR 600 in good shape with a 15.75" length eye to eye, and made them work thanks to this post. These shocks just barely fit, any longer would require some major modification.

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/55606-s-chassis-front-shock-suggestions/

These did exactly what I wanted; raised the front end and added lots more travel. The machine rides way smoother now and is more stable at speed, however the sway bar links did need to be extended, as mentioned in that post. Worth the upgrade for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've sort of been down this road with my S-chassis, and from my experience I can tell you 18" shocks would be extremely hard if not impossible to fit on your chassis. I ended up going with shocks from a '97 XCR 600 in good shape with a 15.75" length eye to eye, and made them work thanks to this post. These shocks just barely fit, any longer would require some major modification.

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/55606-s-chassis-front-shock-suggestions/

These did exactly what I wanted; raised the front end and added lots more travel. The machine rides way smoother now and is more stable at speed, however the sway bar links did need to be extended, as mentioned in that post. Worth the upgrade for sure.
Yes I found that thread and just purchased 1996 xcr fox shocks 15.75" ctc after reading that thread. $50 plus shipping. Probably need rebuilt and cleaned up.

I cut my sway bar off and will try without first. I slightly notched the tie rod opening also. Have fitted them yet.

Also added plastic skis off a 2012 f800 arctic cat. Had tiny metal skis. Hopefully with the formula 3 rear skid it will be good for the kids for another 20 years.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes I found that thread and just purchased 1996 xcr fox shocks 15.75" ctc after reading that thread. $50 plus shipping. Probably need rebuilt and cleaned up.

I cut my sway bar off and will try without first. I slightly notched the tie rod opening also. Have fitted them yet.

Also added plastic skis off a 2012 f800 arctic cat. Had tiny metal skis. Hopefully with the formula 3 rear skid it will be good for the kids for another 20 years.
Sounds good, let me know how it turns out

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got one side installed. Waiting for bushings on the other. One thing no one mentioned is modifications to the shock mount. Wider shock would not work with 1995 trailing arms. Had to trim and may reduce strength.

Assuming mxz or higher trim models had different trailing arms as no else had this problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ahh, nobody mentioned it because we all mounted them body up, based on the recommendation from that post. If you mounted your body up you would have no clearance issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, nobody mentioned it because we all mounted them body up, based on the recommendation from that post. If you mounted your body up you would have no clearance issues.
I originally mounted them body up based on the pictures. But these are wider body up at the bottom. The spring diameter is then what hits the shock mount which I would of had to trim even more.

Either way this should work. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking at the picture of the mxz they look to have wider ski stance causing the shocks to be at an angle giving more clearance.

Mine run more straight up and down. Formula Sl is the lowest end model.

Specs:

1996 SKI-DOO FORMULA SL
Suspension
Front: DSA; 6.5 inches
Rear: Long-travel SC-10 Sport; 10.0 in.
Ski Stance: 40.0 in.
Overall Height: 44.1 in.

1996 SKI-DOO MX Z 583

Suspension
Front: DSA with 8 inches of travel
Rear: SC-10 with 10 inches of travel
Ski Stance: 41 Inches
Overall Height: 44.1 Inches

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looking at the picture of the mxz they look to have wider ski stance causing the shocks to be at an angle giving more clearance.

Mine run more straight up and down. Formula Sl is the lowest end model.

Specs:
1996 SKI-DOO FORMULA SL
Suspension
Front: DSA; 6.5 inches
Rear: Long-travel SC-10 Sport; 10.0 in.
Ski Stance: 40.0 in.
Overall Height: 44.1 in.

1996 SKI-DOO MX Z 583
Suspension
Front: DSA with 8 inches of travel
Rear: SC-10 with 10 inches of travel
Ski Stance: 41 Inches
Overall Height: 44.1 Inches
Interesting, I guess the difference in ski stance is the issue. I figured the ski stance would all be the same for the same chassis but i was wrong. Hopefully you can still make it work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts