Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am picking up a 1997 Formula s 380 soon. I have read all about how they are very slow, and blah blah blah, but its an extremely good deal, and I can't pass it up. I had a few questions about the sled.
-How is the overall reliability?
-Any common problems to watch out for?

ALSO It runs but is missing the exhaust from the motor out
-Has anyone ever put a different exhaust on a 380 than stock?
-Did it require rejetting?

ALSO I was just dreaming about some possibilities
- Has anyone ever put risers on this sled?
-Did it require new/longer cables?
-How tall do stock cables permit for a riser?

-Would a rotax 440 fan bolt right up?
-Has anyone ever swapped in a 440 rotax fan?

Sorry for all the questions, very anxious and excited!
Thanks in Advance
Sam

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 10 year old runs a 2002 380 fan... I would get a bigger sled.. Im 44 200lbs and get it to 50mph

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I understand there slow but I'm only 16 and I'm used to an old phazer which tops out around 50-60 anyways.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Make sure the carbs are spotlessly clean since jets are small and plug easy. Carb boots between carb and motor can crack causing a lean burndown. Also clean white powder out of inside of these boots whete they clamp on flanges. This is corrosion and can suck air in. Check condition of fan belt too.
I think a 3 inch rise is the max without extending cables etc.
A 440 should drop right in using its own mount plate. The 440 used a tra clutch while the 380 used the bombardier lite clutch.
You are best to stick with the 380 exhaust system as it is tuned for this motor. Use anything else and you will probably lose power. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I love the 380s.They work great for me.I have had 3 or 4 of 'em at least

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys! You answered most of my questions!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone ever done a 380-440 swap? Is there clutch alignment issues or fitment issues between exhaust, and also with airbox/carbs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you use the 440 motor plate clutches should line up good. I think 380 and 440 airboxes are the same. 440 exhaust is ddifferent than 380 but might be the same as 503 used in formula sl and touring sle and skandic 500. Exhaust should drop right in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so basically sounds like a 440 swap would not be very hard just need 440 exhaust. How about the electronics. How do they differ between the motors? Would wiring harness just connect straight to 440 motor?

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you plan on doing a 440 swap do you already have the 440? If not you might as well just do the 503 instead. There are allot more of them around which means allot more used parts. Plus a few more HP over the 440.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already have the 440 motor and exhaust. will the wiring harness from the formula s chassis plug right in to the 440 motor?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If its from around the same year it should plug in. You may have to actually look at the plugs on both motors and compare them to see if they are the same.

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
Yeah Iv changed exhaust on these motors got one ported with twin straight pipes lol! Anyways assuming these are virtually the same as the older ones you can take a 440 top end and it will bolt right onto your bottom end .just need cyl heads and pistons than jet it like a 440 put 440 primary on set up secondary like a 440 and brapp

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,
I am picking up a 1997 Formula s 380 soon. I have read all about how they are very slow, and blah blah blah, but its an extremely good deal, and I can't pass it up. I had a few questions about the sled.

Thanks in Advance
Sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks in Advance
Sam
I put 5” risers on mine and all it needed was throttle extentions i got ROX risers

·
Registered
487 Posts
I put 5” risers on mine and all it needed was throttle extentions i got ROX risers
Did you realize that this thread has been dead since Jan 2015, I hop you are not expecting a answer.

But welcome to the forum you will find a lot of good information, also the advance search function is great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts