Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68269259cc2d3f6db628e71856b815cd.jpg
Am I missing something on this fuel pump? It kinda looks like I am. Wait her way it doesn't seem to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote name="maxmachz" post="23195043" timestamp="1578780384"]That's normal. Nothing missing. One in, two outs, and a pulse port. [/quote

·
Registered
387 Posts
A new pump will cost you around 40 bucks. A rebuild kit is around 8. Doesn't look like there is anything missing on that pump. Why do you want to change it? Is it just not pumping? Check the pulse line from the engine to ensure there is no cracking as this will cause low fuel pressure. If you suspect the pump is causing an issue with the way it runs, pressurise the tank by blowing in it. Ensure you do it long enough to fill the fuel bowls. If the sled runs fine until the bowls get low, it may be the pump. Be sure to check your tank vent line for blockage as well. You should hear air coming from it when you blow in the tank. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My bet is that its not working cuz your pickup line in the tank is cracked and/or broken which prevents the pump from getting/keeping a prime. Yank the tank out and replace that line and the grommet on the fitting to the tank. I'll bet you're in business then...!

Reactions: Emorris31

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The line goes bad over time when the sled sits in the off season with not much gas in the tank.....the line itself is special cuz its designed to be submerged all the time....when exposed to air/condensation. it breaks down. Been there, done that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A new pump will cost you around 40 bucks. A rebuild kit is around 8. Doesn't look like there is anything missing on that pump. Why do you want to change it? Is it just not pumping? Check the pulse line from the engine to ensure there is no cracking as this will cause low fuel pressure. If you suspect the pump is causing an issue with the way it runs, pressurise the tank by blowing in it. Ensure you do it long enough to fill the fuel bowls. If the sled runs fine until the bowls get low, it may be the pump. Be sure to check your tank vent line for blockage as well. You should hear air coming from it when you blow in the tank. Hope this helps.
It pumps only to the left carb so I think it's one of the diaphragms. Or is it something else

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Disassemble the pump, clean it and install a rebuild kit. It will be as good as new.

Lynn

Reactions: Gates.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disassemble the pump, clean it and install a rebuild kit. It will be as good as new.
Lynn
I kinda already ordered a new one because someone told me he has tried installing those rebuild kits and they have never worked. If anything I can return it. The new pump costed about $25

·
Registered
387 Posts
If it is only pumping to the left carb, this tells me that the problem is likely in the pump. One line in, two lines out. There are two check valves in the pump and one must be broken or leaking. They come in the rebuild kit. A new pump would be a fix as well. The line in the tank is getting fuel but if for some reason it is sucking air, there is a chance that there is some air in the pump. If the pump is mounted on an angle, the lower line may pump fuel and the upper may pump air. I have never seen this happen but see it as a long shot possibility.

I like to redo my fuel system every couple years to keep things reliable. Replace the line and filter in the tank and ensure it is long enough to sit properly at the bottom of the tank. If I'm not mistaken, your tank will have two holes and lines in the tank. The upper hole will have a longer line on it to pick up fuel from the back of the tank when the sled is pointed uphill and the lower hole will take a very short line to pick up fuel from the front of the tank when pointed downhill. This would only be the case in low fuel situations, under normal conditions, both lines will pick up fuel. The two lines are merged at a T fitting outside the tank and then a single line will run to the fuel valve.

That blue line on your sled is typically of high quality and does not need to be replaced as often as the cheap clear stuff you get a Royal. Ensure that you use good quality line inside the tank. Royal sells black line that is very well suited for the job. The blue stuff is a little harder to come by but this year I've been finding it at Canadian Tire, in the aisle with the quad accessories.

Another thought that just came to me, is maybe the needle and seat in the right carb is stuck closed. If the floats are stuck up, or the needle is jammed into the seat, fuel will not be able to flow into the carb bowl. To check this, remove the fuel line from the carb that appears to be getting air. Pull the chord and see if fuel comes up the line. If it does, problem is in the carb. If it does not, problem is in the pump.

Hope this helps, let me know how the wrenching goes!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Make sure the floats in the right side carb are not installed upside down. They go in with the pins down and pointing inward. If they are upside down, they will constantly raise the float arm and hold the needle and seat closed even with no fuel in the carb. Easy mistake to make. It has been my experience that the more serious is the issue, the simpler the solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the sled running now but it'll only rev up really high when we start it up. We tried messing with the idle screws but they didn't do anything. When I put a piece of cardboard in front of the carb with about 1/4" of room for air to come through. Any ideas? Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts